Kobe's 81

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Jan 24, 2006.

1. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Some, like Marc Stein of ESPN infamy are claiming that Kobe's 81 was the greatest performance ever by an NBA player.

It seems to me, for those who remember, Magic's performance against the 76s in the final, when he played center in I believe it was game #6 was certainly superior to Kobe's Pistol Pete performance the other night at home against a rotten team.
  2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Koby Hater

I've seen a whole bunch of stuff about how that performance should guarantee Koby the MVP. They said things like "forget about it Chauncy..."

I thought to be an MVP you had to make your team better? Wouldn't the Lakers still be around .500 without him? Would the Pistons be 33-5 without Chauncy or anywhere near that????

Hey, I know my personal hatred and bias against the guy plays a part in my viewpoint. I'm not denying that. I did not see the "performance" (I'll call it that rather than a "game"). I can appreciate the fact that the guy was on fire and it was a sight to behold. But MVP talk?? Greatest performance?? It was one mediocre "team" and one lousy team playing each other. I think the media is going overboard.

Yes, the Pistons are finally getting their due. People state things like "Detroit is head and shoulders above the rest of the league". No excitement or appreciation for it. They state it and move on. I no longer perceive it as being uttered begrudgingly. But it's like they say it and move on to something more newsworthy. It took half a season for the Pistons to accomplish this.

I guess this whole thing bothers me because I see Koby as a microcosm of so many things I don't like about our society.

I remember kids saying "I wanna be like Mike". I pray my kids say "I don't wanna be anything like Koby."