Kwame Brown/Pistons Centerpiece of the Future

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Aug 15, 2008.

1. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Good Scoop on Kwame Brown. I really don't think the proper pieces were in place to deal with a Kwame Brown back in 2001. Jordan didn't know what he was doing as a Manager, allowing high schoolers to enter the NBA was relatively new. The Wizards coaching staff could not provide that same type and level of nourishing a teenage as a Lakers management/coaching team.

I remember him being here in D.C., he was not held accountable for anything, he pretty much was left to his own devices. Look at the team at that time, it really wasn't a bona fide leader on that team.

Anyway....Very good article.

Evening Scoop: Kwame's Redemption?
    [​IMG]

By: Bill Ingram Last Updated: 8/14/08 4:53 PM ET | 3484 times read

Kwame Brown never intended to be among those kids who jumped straight from high school to the NBA. He had a scholarship to attend the University of Florida and had every intention of honing his skills in the college ranks before turning pro, but fate intervened. Brown's mother was working as a waitress to support her family, but right about the time Kwame had to make a decision about his future she injured her back and could no longer work. His father long since out of the picture, Kwame had to step up to the plate. He had to get a job to help out his family, and there were millions of dollars waiting for him in the NBA.

So Brown made the jump, but it was a jump to a system that really wasn't prepared to accept high school kids. NBA programs were built around the idea that their incoming rookies had at least some college-level training, and the Washington Wizards weren't necessarily prepared to give Brown the training he needed when they made him the top overall selection in the 2001. Small wonder his rookie season was a miserable failure. Brown wasn't ready for the NBA and the NBA wasn't ready for him.

Now, years later, every single team has implemented a training program that doesn't take for granted how much prep work their players have had in college. It's become an expected part of the draft, summer league, and training camp process. And of course, the NBA no longer allows high school players to be drafted directly into the NBA.

All of that's behind Brown now, and it's only fair to cut him a little slack. After all, Joe Smith was also a top overall pick and no one really talks about how his career has never lived up to the expectations that come with that draft spot. All Brown can do is work hard to show the pistons that he's serious about helping them reach their goal of returning to the NBA Championship.

"What I was hoping for with him and what I got is that he didn't use anything as an excuse," Pistons coach Michael Curry recently told Pistons.com. "He put it all upon himself. He didn't use the way the coach used him or injuries or being young when he came in the league – none of that. He took responsibility for himself and, really, once he did that, for me it was easy. That's one of the biggest things – to get athletes to hold themselves accountable. Whether he did that when he was 18 or 19 – I'm pretty sure I was mature at 18 or 19, but I wouldn't have been ready to be thrown into a No. 1 pick or right into the NBA and handle that kind of responsibility. Whether he acknowledged responsibility at that time didn't really matter to me. The fact that now he does is the only thing I want to judge him on."

So for Brown it all starts now. He has a new contract, a new team, and a shot at redemption. He has a cast of young big men around him and a system that will accentuate his positives. After all, Antonio McDyess was supposed to be washed up before Detroit brought him in, but McDyess has been a great player for them. Kwame Brown has not yet played his bes and if he can do that for the Pistons he could prove to be their centerpiece of the future.

2. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Interesting part in the article about how the NBA isn't really set up to accommodate high school kids so Kwame was really set up to fail. If that is the case -- and I believe it is -- it is no wonder that Darko did not adjust well. He was an international high schooler who had absolutely no patience for Larry Brown.

Let's hope Kwame has learned a few things over the years.

3. Mike Honcho

Mike Honcho First Round Draft Pick

Very good article. I don't think that the Pistons are expecting he will suddenly turn into a star, but I do think he is in the the right place to grow and learn as a player, probably for the first time for him. You can say the Lakers are a good place, and you wouldn't be wrong (obviously Phil is a very good coach...) but not every player responds well to the way Phil Jackson works, especially young players.

4. max

max All-Star

Its nice to dream.

5. Robert Michael

Robert Michael First Round Draft Pick

I hate to repeat myself and irritate the forum, but I feel like this message bears repeating. --

Kwame's problems are not attitudal in nature. They are physical and mental. He has terrible hands. His brainpower is limited. I'm not sure that his holding himself accountable is going to a make a lick of difference. He's always been hard on himself. I never heard him making excuses in L.A. He always tried hard. If anything, he suffers from a lack of confidence at times, and then he melts down totally.

The fumbling and bumbling of Kwame Brown does not seem to be the result of his lack of effort and bad attitude. To the contrary, he was a good teammate in that department. Where he sucks as a teammate is the constant mental mistakes leading to defensive breakdowns and easy buckets for the opponent and costly turnovers at critical moments.

Michael Curry might be the coach to finally get inside Kwames head and help his confidence. But I think it is a stretch to expect much more out of him than he delivered in L.A. Centerpiece he ain't.

6. max

max All-Star

We have seen this story before. All the fan fare about how great the acquisition was and how smart Dumars is for finding them. Flip Murray, Mohamed, Jarvis Hayes. Just x-out their names and write in Kwame's.

With that said, he is going to fill a need. Not exactly the centerpiece of the future but he will grab some boards and fill up space.

Robert Michael. I am concerned about his poor ball handling skills and how that will intergrate into our system. Thats probably the biggest obsticle here.

7. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Say what you want about Brown, but there was never "fan fare" about any of these guys.

8. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Totally untrue Robert Michael. I have lived here in the D.C. area for the past 20+ years.

It was widely known how Kwame goofed off every summer instead of putting the extra time in training.

He never played on any of the summer leagues, always giving excuses, hanging out with his boys in Georgia and S.C., getting in trouble, driving under the influence, speeding i.e. and was never held accountable by the Wizards organization.

He was out of shape at the beginning of every pre-season. He lacked discipline in every way possible as well as having a terrible relationship with his teamates.

Remember Shaq said that Kwame was the strongest person he ever played against.

This undeniably led to Kwame's demise here in D.C.

Work ethic led to his undoing, as well as lack of leadership on the Wizards team.

9. Robert Michael

Hi Army Girl. Kwame was trying hard in LA. I'm not quite sure what about my post is totally untrue. I never mentioned his tenure in DC. I know he quit on the Wiz.

He had this same rebirth puff piece in LA, and what I am saying is that even with all the effort and good attitude he is limited by his stupidity and poor hands. I wish it wasn't true, and I could feel good about this article, but the fact is Kwame ain't very good.

10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I can't see how Kwame can be any worse than Dale Davis, Primoz Brezec, Nasty Naz or Chuck Nevitt.

Now if people are expecting him to make an all-star game, then they might be asking too much.

11. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I too witnessed his stay here in DC and it wasn`t pretty. I have no confidence whatsoever in Kwame as a Piston.

I apologize for being so pessimistic (I know I mispelled that) but, what can I say...........

12. Robert Michael

I think cautious optimism is about as good as it gets for me. IF he is used right and we do everything we can to play to his strengths he might help us a little more than he hurts us for a net gain of something in the order of forum fodder and a great topic of polarizing discussions.

13. theWORM

theWORM First Round Draft Pick

I believe PJ thought highly enough of Kwame to mention him as someone who would be welcomed back as a valued player.

I think that says enough about the recent state of Kwame's attitude and work ethic.

If Curry can boost Brown's confidence and reduce his mental breakdowns, then what we should have is a legit 5 who is strong, mobile, and can play some solid D and grab some boards over starters minutes. Albeit not a great catcher of the ball. I can live with that. Certainly better than no true Center as per the last two seasons.

While there are some question marks that will only be answered deep into the season, there are considerable potentially long-term rewards with Kwame in the middle, and no long-term risk at all. If we take "centerpiece" to mean "mainstay" and "solid and consistent starter" over the coming years, and not THE centerpiece meaning "franchise player", then my bet is a definite yes. Kwame will get it done and prove the haters wrong.

14. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Good post T.W.

Nice to see you around. :thumb:

15. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

alot of good points being made, and something that currey said that makes me think this will work out to be a good move by the pistons.

he stated that its the coaches job to put players in postitions of using there strengths and to work on there weaknesses...

I just have a good feeling about the direction of the club, compared to most the doomsayers i listen to.

I think we won't know for sure what we have till next may... but i think we have a coach that gets it... something i think flip never has gotten or will get.

16. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Keeping expectations low is the healthy choice.
    I'd prefer to start evaluating the current product vs. rehashing failures due to lack of experience and injuries (past two seasons)...
    The bad hands are well documented... hopefully our guards will get him the ball in the right spots... I can see Sheed as being a good influence on Kwame's post moves (save jokes about Sheed going inside)...
    Kwame should be put in a position to accentuate his assets.. quickness and strength.
    He doesn't have to be a polished scorer... just a solid garbage collector and inside defender (see Dalembert).
    He has seen every negative thing imaginable... this can effect the mindset... now the question is... will Kwame put in the work to correct past failures?
    He's working with Arnie now and will be staying to work with the young players in camp... A positive first step.

17. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Perhaps the best step of all.

18. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Nuff said

19. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

I thought Dale Davis was great at what he did. But maybe it was because he was the only one willing to do what he did.

20. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I completely agree. Took most of us by surprise, but I think this will turn out to be a very good signing by Joe D.