Home L.A. Clippers Monday, January 20, 2014

Discussion in 'January 2014' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

I didn't watch the game, but I'm curious... at the start of the second quarter, the Pistons had a lineup of Bynum/Stuckey/Singler/Harrellson/Monroe against the Clippers' lineup of Reddick/Crawford/Dudley/Turk/Jordan; who was guarding whom? The Clips went on a 14-5 run with Reddick and Crawford doing all of the scoring, but I guess I would assume that Singler would be tasked with Dudley, who disappeared. Am I wrong?
  2. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I will review this for you. Know for now, Singler mostly was put on guards in this game.
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

3 starters combine for 12 points. The problem may be somewhere around there. Bench outscored the starters and on fewer attempts.

Good news is that we did better than our average against a WC opponent.
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  4. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Ok. I just rewatched that bit. Singler guarded a different person just about every time down. He was scored on directly for five points. On four points, he could have helped better but did not have direct responsibility. For sure, he did nothing to help our D. Bynum is too short to guard his guy. That did not help. Stuckey not being able to negotiate a pick did not help. Also, we fouled them on 3 point shots 3 times, I think all in that stretch. None of the three were Singler's fault.
  5. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

Last year at this point we were 16-25........
    This season, we're at 17-24........
    Considering that Stuckey has won at least 3
    more games for us this season to this point
    than last season, something has gone terribly
    wrong with this team. How can we actually
    be worse than last year? How is that possible?

We've tried new players and many coaches...
    Time to say bye-bye to JD.
    linwood likes this.
  6. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

The team is worse. More talent, worse cohesion. Overlapping skillsets, poor coaching, etc.
    Nemo and The Panda like this.
  7. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Don't know, but given the zero progress, perhaps even regression, in defensive play between Monroe and Drummond, he hasn't been showing up for too many practices either. Or maybe he just does trick shots.

One thing for sure I noticed watching yesterday, Griffin is way strong. Monroe just bounced off him.
  8. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I think Mike Abdenour has been punching in and out for Sheed.
    linwood likes this.
  9. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

You got to look maybe just a little closer. After we traded Tay away, we moved Singler to small forward. Lets see how great a team we were. After giving things time to come together a bit with Calderon at point, we went 3-18 from February 22 to April 6. During that stretch, we beat three teams trying harder than us for the best lottery pick.

We were a truly pathetic team. We got a few wins down the stretch, but not against any team who really cared by that point in the season as positioning for the draft became important to teams as much as winning in many cases.

So you could compare us to basically, nothing. That is how bad we were with Singler starting at small forward. Note, we are now giving basically starters minutes to Singler at small forward. What changed? Bynum, the other major problem with the team, is getting the same minutes per game, still mucking up our point guard play game after game.

Our team is better. Compard to zilch. But how much improvement can you really get when you add good players, but fail to replace the weaker players on the squad with them?
  10. J-Train

J-Train Bench Warmer Forum Donor

In terms of this specific game, three things stood out.

Moose was a complete non-factor. We need more than 6 points and three rebounds from him. It's a big reason that we got hammered on the offensive glass. Jennings went scoreless. When your leading scorer puts up zero points, then you're going to be in trouble.

Once again, there were periods when the Pistons simply zoned out, lost focus, and stopped competing. This isn't a trend. It is one of the defining characteristics of this team. How many nights have you seen this team playing even basketball, and then you look at the score and they're down 15 or 20? Too much one-on-one play. 17 assists for the game isn't enough.

The perimeter defense was once again horrific. The Clips shot 43% from behind the arc. We were outscored by 24 points from behind the line. The rotations make no sense. Guys are being allowed to stand unguarded at the three point line. Usually, I can tell when a guy is rotating late, or if his teammates failed to rotate behind him. With this team, I'm not sure which of these guys is doing the wrong thing. I don't think that they know either. Maybe all of them.

We have enough scoring on this team to win. Jennings and Bynum bring offense. Monroe and Smith can score. Dre will chip in. Singler will be respectable most nights. Stuckey and KCP carry their weight.

Defense is 90% of this team's problem. When they defend well, they win. When they don't defend well, they lose. Sure, Jennings and Bynum are awful on the ball, and Stuckey has never closed out on a shooter in his life. But this team shouldn't be this bad defensively. This isn't personnel. This is scheme. This is coaching.
    linwood, Walter and The Panda like this.
  11. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Great point.
  12. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

This is the most frustrating part for me. I can handle if the team lose because their shots just aren't falling one night. When the proverbial lid is on the basket.

But when I watch a team lose because they use no effort on defense, I think it is a disgrace. I was always taught to use all my energy on defense and let the offense come through smart passing. Despite what Lee says about Singler, at least you can say he actually tries.
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Our offense and defense rank the same. I'd argue that our defense is more negatively impacted by our poor offense than vise versa (fast breaks off of badly missed shots... especially 3's and guards in the paint). Our d creates turnovers better than any other team and we have 2 really nice shot blockers. So, those factors actually make our offense appear better than it is.

Look at half court offense (after made fg by opponent) and half court defense to get a good indication of which is our bigger weakness. I can't find those stats, but I know they exist.
  14. J-Train

Sloppy passing and dumb shot selection have killed this team all year. We get run on constantly.

This is definitely a team that needs to run in order to survive. Forcing turnovers is good. Getting stops is better. Dre, Monroe, and Josh can all start the break from a defensive rebound. When this team is forcing turnovers AND getting stops, they can play with anyone.

If you can't shoot well, then you need to run. You can't run if you can't stop anybody.
  15. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It's unfortunate that we aren't nine players deep on defense let alone 3. In most instances, our starters can hold their own..at least at the beginning of the game. Unfortunately the bench cannot sustain the same opening quarter defense and you can't really single out one player.....but it's normally either the combo of Singler and Stuckey and Bynum that can't seem to mesh with the rest of the guys....especially if 2 or more of them are in their at same time.

I mean I remember noting that the Pistons were actually playing some nice man to man defense in the opening six minutes of the game despite the DJ dunks...but as soon as those three guys above were paired up with the slow adjusting Moose in the second quarter, the race was on and we were losing it...

I mean we can get hustle and some 3 pt shooting from Singler and timely jump shots from both Stuckey and Bynum, but all three are defensive liabilities and will often commit the unfortunate turnover that will either kill a rally or start a run for the other team. So as Lee has said on occasion, those guys tend to give back more than what they give us.

The coach has to use what he has and when he throws the third tier of guys in there like Gigi, JJ, CV and now Billups it gets even worse. He needs to probably play Jorts more when he is sitting down two of the bigs or throw Mitchell out there to prove that his draft selection was worthy
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
    J-Train likes this.
  16. J-Train

There is something to that. You can get away with Jennings' and Moose's defense, as long as you have KCP, Smith, and Dre out there. Once you take out any one of those guys, then you start to see problems. It's not that the underlying problems weren't there all along. It's just that those three can cover some of it up.

Singler can't defend opposing guards or power forwards. Stuckey willfully refuses to close out on a shooter, and he has either no interest helping his teammates, or doesn't understand how to do it. Seriously, Stuckey is as bad a team defender as I've ever seen. Bynum can't deal with big guards, and he's sloppy with the ball, which leads to the other team running on us.

Still, the dominant problem with this defense isn't personnel. It's everything else.
  17. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

It's the combinations that are problematic. Singler tries and he's actually not bad if you look at him by himself. But when you trot him out there with Jennings, Bynum AND Stuckey, you're just asking for trouble. In this game's 4th quarter, the big defensive stops came with the lineup of Stuckey-Pope-Singler-Smith-Drummond.

You can get away with rolling out a weak defender if the other players are good defensively.
    You can get away with rolling out a lineup of average defenders, if you don't play anybody out of position.
    The coach keeps sending lineups that scream "what's the worst possible defensive lineup you can muster".
    Or, he sends average defenders (Stuckey, Singler) in positions where they are overmatched (SF, PF)
  18. Susie914

Susie914 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I just read Sheed has a bad back and its hard for him to sit on the bench. Glad to know our man is OK.....
  19. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

A couple of scenarios here.
    Either he is in the locker room doing the same thing that Lawrence Frank is doing:brick:
    He is sitting up in the box with Joe giving him first hand skinny on why Mo is failing and he is being groomed for the head coaching job
    ...or he does have a bad back which means he will need to call Phil Jackson to either borrow his BIG Man high chair or contact the manufacturer to get his own......:falloff: