1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Away L.A. Clippers Saturday, March 22, 2014

Discussion in 'March 2014' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

@ L.A. Clippers

Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 10:30 PM Eastern

Staples Center, Los Angeles, CA

LOCAL TV: FS Detroit
    NATIONAL TV:

RADIO: 97.1 FM The Ticket

GO PISTONS!

2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I will be back home in time for this one, but I am on the fence about the outcome, so to hide my allegiance, I will watch it from home. I mean I need all the Clipper wins as possible to keep my second team in the top three in the west and now I need as many losses as possible to keep my first team-Pistons from finishing in the disaster zone.

Of course I will be cheering for them loudly, if they somehow sweep the rest of this western trip and get the momentum swinging the other way!!!!

roscoe36 likes this.
  3. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Interesting thread...The Disaster Zone.
    Based on a small window of wins vs losses...
    which would give us the worst outcome.

To me...anything below .500 should be
    The Disaster Zone................:mad:

Anyways Clippers 134 - Pistons 105

Sad to see optimistic predictions fall by the wayside...
    and only the most pessimistic views hold value now. :gaah:

4. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I'm shocked the Pistons are finally playing a back to back in the middle of the NCAA tourney! This is their first one since the NFL playoffs ended.

Mogilny likes this.
  5. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Some good news. Coach played JJ at small forward, a lot. Way too late though to save the season. Which is obviously pretty much lost. Pistons are pretty much just a bunch of losers, led by management who expects just that out of them.

6. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Well that's now 13 road losses in a row, and the Pistons move their record to 1-34 when trailing after 3 quarters and 8 and 38 when giving up 100+ points.
    It was a spirited game as the Pistons fought just like they did last night coming back from a 13 point deficit in the first half to trail by one at the half.

Doc said something during the halftime break and the Clippers opened the third quarter on 18-3 run. In fact the Pistons were stuck on 3 points for the first 8 mins of the quarter before finally Jennings got going and the Pistons finished with 15 points in the third. They stayed within 10 for awhile as JJ playing in front of the big boss and possible new GM showed that his rookie year may not have been a fluke...and delivered 22 pts, 9 boards, 2 steals and 2 assists. He hit 5-7 from beyond the arc and had the Clipper announcers in awe of him.

Of course the next game could he turn in a Stuckey and Hide type game where he disappears. Stuckey lived up to that moniker scoring 22 points last night and only 6 points tonight.

Bynum continued to dish at will as he is averaging over 9 assists a game so far on this road trip, but letting the guards run around him to score. Jennings rebounded from a horrible night in Phoenix, but still had to take 16 shots to get 19 points.

Drummond had a decent double-double game, but was shut down in the second half.

Smith missed another free throw......so not counting the Nuggets game that is 9 in a row.

Gores was sitting court side with Billy Crystal smiling....but that was at the half when the Pistons were down a point. I am sure any smiling after that was forced. Isaiah was also sitting court side.....in a suit and tie. So not sure if he was there to see CP3 record his 6000th assist or to interview with Gores....:nono:..

With tonight's loss and the Cavs earlier loss to the Rockets, we maintain the half game lead over them for the 8th lottery pick.

7. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Dre, good summary.

Problem I see is that the Pistons will probably win 5 more games and the Cavs may only win three more. Irving is out I believe for them. And the Kings will only win about three more. The Pistons will at least split with the Cavs if not beat them twice because the Pistons win games at the end of seasons as they have the last two years. If the Pistons do not lose twice to the Cavs, they will undoubtedly have the 9th pick and the pick goes to Charlotte. This is an awful situation. The Pistons will not just lose draft position as in the past, but they will actually lose the pick.

Good to see JJ come alive and hit shots like an NBA player should. Bynum now is getting almost as many minutes as Jennings.

8. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I think this game could have been more competitive if there were 3 more days between this and the Phoenix game.

Nice to see Jerebko rounding into form right as the season ends.

The moment the 1st and 3rd quarters start I'm waiting for Bynum to sub in.

Anyone care to guess which one of these is the Pistons starting point?

37 minutes, 28 pts, 10-15 shooting, 3-6 from 3, 5-5 from the line, 15 assists, 6 steals, 2 turns

32 minutes, 19 points, 5-16 shooting, 4-11 from deep, 5-7 from the line, 7 assists, 3 steals, 3 turns

9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

On the season (per 36):

Player E: 16.9 pts/ .505 TS%/ 3.4 reb/ 1.3 stl/ 7.2 ast/ 3.6 tov/ $2.8MM
    Player F: 16.6 pts/ .488 TS%/ 3.2 reb/ 1.4 stls/ 8.0 ast/ 2.8 tov/ $7.7MM

Pretty hard to choose between them based on results.

10. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

I'm fine with either as long as they don't start.

Walter and roscoe36 like this.
  11. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm okay, too, unless the clueless coach was to play him out of position.

12. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Cavs and Kings won. It is up to the Pistons. Lose to the Cavs and probably get a top 8th pick. Win and get nothing. The rules of the lottery need to be changed apart from this specific situation.

linwood likes this.
  13. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

One thing for sure, Loyer has been tanning.

14. BillLaimbeer

The Pistons have two games left with the Cavs. Those are HUGE. Only 13 games and 3 weeks of season remaining...

15. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

1. Never, ever allow a conditional pick, that might cause a team to tank.

2. Completely change the rules on draft order, such that tanking never helps, ever, to get you a better pick.

2a. Use how teams finished on average, for five past seasons. But last season, and the current one, do not count.(so you actually go back a total of 7 seasons.) Why? You still get poorer teams helped more by the draft than the haves in the league, but tanking this season will not help you for two years in the future. I will refer to these five years as the "base" years.

2b. If you get into the playoffs, you get more ping pong balls in a future drawing, increasing your draft pick status. While overall, having a bad record year after year will help you get a stronger pick, the penalty for a team, such as ours, for not making the playoffs overrides any benefit from tanking late in the season.

2c. Picks 8, 9,10,11 are reserved for the top 4 teams in the league, over the base years. Success is rewarded, just not the very top picks.

2d. Picks 4, 5,6,7, are reserved for the worst 4 performing teams in the league, based on 5 previous years going back 7 years to the year before last season. Abject failure does not ever get you picks 1, 2, or 3. And this is by lotto, so you could very easily end up with pick 7 if you chose to be the worst team in the league those base years. And the lotto is weighted against the very worst team, and toward the one that finished with the 4th worst record.

2e. Picks 1, 2, and 3 go to those teams that had poor records, for the same previous 5 seasons. Note, even if you won the whole thing this year and last, it does not matter. You can still get the number one pick if you had been doing very poorly for the five years in the calculations. To get the number 1, 2, or 3 pick, you have to be one of the 16 worst teams over those five years, but not one of the 4 worst. So thats 12 teams in the lotto. Ping pong balls go in reverse order from what we have been using. The better your record, within this limited group, the more ping balls you get. And this is based on your finish this season and last. Also, any playoff appearances you had during the earlier five base years, you got a couple of extra ping pong balls. (no extra ping pong balls for your finsih this year and last, in this years drawing.)

2f. The rest of the picks, picks 12 thru 30, go to the teams in order by there finish this season. The better your finish, the better your pick. If you finish first this season, and also happen to have the best record over the base years, you get both picks 8 and 12. Again, success is rewarded. Some teams will not get a pick for the first round.

2nd round picks are solely based on the order you finished, this year. First 2nd round pick goes to the team with the best record, etc.

Sure it needs work, but that is what I came up with so far over the past few weeks as I have been thinking on it.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
    LA Dre likes this.
  16. BillLaimbeer

I agree with you. Tanking should not be rewarded. I have thought about this for a couple of years now, but I still haven't come up with a better scheme than the current lottery system.

17. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I think Lee's plan is very simple and elegant.

18. BillLaimbeer

You could argue elegant. Simple, notsomuch...

19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I like the idea of a sealed bid auction. Rookie scale screws the guys who are worth the most out of money. Auction with salary cap rewards teams that are responsible.

Players union would vote it down of course because it would dissolve the artificially inflated market for older players.

20. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Do like we do it in Europe, reward winning and give the champs the 1st pick. Let the bad teams burn!