Home L.A. Lakers Friday, November 29, 2013

Discussion in 'November 2013' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Mark V

Mark V Bench Warmer

Wow.. How did we lose this game? We dominated them in the paint with 76 points made from there. Usually you win a game when you dominate like that, I don't get what happened. Also, where was Drummond during the 4th quarter?!? His rebounding would've surely helped us seal the game.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The softball media should be calling him on this stuff.
  3. vincy4fish98

vincy4fish98 Bench Warmer

Look, I know we all hated this guy back in the day, but maybe he was onto something.

[​IMG]

"If you don't do your homework, you won't make your free throws."
    -- Larry Bird
    Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  4. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

If you wanna play Monroe instead of Dre (since Coach said he wanted more offense) in the 4th quarter, then you should run some plays for him. Instead, what we saw is Stuckey, Smith & Jennings playing one on one ball. What's the point? At least Dre would have gotten some offensive rebounds or putback dunks. The reason Mo did not want to put Dre in there cause he was afraid that the Lakers may wanna hack-a-Dre. So what? First, Dre was making his FTs tonight. Second, he may have gotten the defensive rebounds we badly needed. Scoring wise, Dre & Monroe would have been a wash in this 4th quarter and Dre may have more offensive rebounds & defensive rebounds at the same time. BAD COACHING.

There were some moments when Jennings look at the bench in frustration after he was pick which results in the Lakers scoring in the 4th quarter. Like he said in the post game, players were confused about if they should switch or not. If this happens, the responsibility is on the the coaching staff for not preparing them on this situation. BAD COACHING AGAIN.

I have read so much of KCP, CV, Gigi being good 3 pt shooters. But players whom some even Lakers fans don't even know, a la Shawne Williams & Wesley Johnson shoots far more better than our trio. Worst, Gigi doesn't even have a chance to play in this game. How bad can his defense be compared to those who played in the 4th quarter of this game? Seems like every team shoot 3s like FTs against us which is the league average of 75%.

When it comes to FTs, our 'BIG 3' are probably averaging about the league average of 3 point shooting which is about 35%.

Really frustrating.....
    Lee356, LA Dre, roscoe36 and 2 others like this.
  5. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

And if I'm JJ, I'll just take about 500 3pt shots after team training everyday until he makes 350 out of the 500. This may get him minutes he has been hoping for.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I was openly rooting against the Pistons by the end of the game. I'm glad they lost after Coach Dipstick left Drummond on the bench.

Didn't the Pistons call 2 timeouts while the game was slipping away and not make a substitution? Lots of teams do that!

For being known as a box score stuffer, Josh Smith is not a fan of the little things like not turning your back on a guy after he's made 10 straight shots. He is supposed to be a good defender?

The Pistons points in the paint numbers are not a positive thing. They need to be able to generate something off of that.

Kyle Singler keyed a nice run when he checked in to the game in the first half. It was for the Lakers, but still……

I don't know how the final numbers ended up, but I think you can make a pretty solid case of Singler doing nothing to help the cause while ending up with solid +/- numbers.

I HATE Kyle Singler!!!!!!! I would say I hope he breaks his leg, but they'd probably let him try and play through it.

Shawne Williams, Wes Johnson and Xavier Henry were close to being run out of the league and yet they light the Pistons up like they're the Harlem Globetrotters.
    BallDon'tLie, Lee356 and LA Dre like this.
  7. Ernie the Slow Adult

I think Kobe could have played last night, but he didn't want to be embarrassed going up against Kyle Singler.

Sent from the new and improved Tapatalk 2.
  8. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Prior to each game I provided a scouting report advising no matter who you leave open outside the three line...Johnson, Henry, Williams, Meeks, Farmar, and Young they will shoot first and ask questions later. With Steve Blake running the pt, he gets rid of the ball fast....no excessive dribbling.... They pass it around until they find the open man outside the arc and they have the set up men like Johnson and especially Williams whose only job in the game is to shoot the three.

Have to wonder why Mo's coaches haven't been lurking here for tips yet?:confused:

Let me introduce you to the two guys that the Pistons made all-stars last night

Shawne Williams had not made more than 2 treys in any game this season and had not scored more than 6 points in his past 10 games until our D allowed 20 last night

Wesley Johnson had not made more than 3 treys the whole season and not scored more than 13 points in his last 10 games before lighting our D up for 27 points.

Let's hope that Mo finally reviews the tapes to see why are near the bottom on defending the three......as well as shooting it

Fantasy owners, it was our D and some shooting luck, so don't get overly excited about them either as they will fall back to their regular averages of 5.1 and 8.5 ppg.......yep you got it. two guys averaging about 13.6 a game burned the nets for 47 points.
  9. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

This teams' inability to defend the perimeter, which in turn makes us unable to defend the interior because we start to clumsily over compensate, makes for some ugly defense.

Josh Smith is a terrible defender! It's almost Charlie Villanueva'esque! Look past the box score and you'll find a guy who is CONSTANTLY blowing his defensive assignments. Pair that up with Monroe, Jennings and Singler....and boy oh boy you have the start of something Uuuuuggly!!! The deficiencies on this team are glaring.
  10. LA Dre

Defense win championships.....and although we are far from there....it does win games, but not when you are allowing teams to constantly score over 100 pts...Hold the Lakers under 100 last night and that was a Victory.

Even if we were to trade for a defender, are the coaches going to enforce it and get the other players to buy into it?
  11. Ernie the Slow Adult

Josh "Which Way Did He Go?" Smith.

You can see why ATL struggled in the playoffs given his knack for missing free throws and dozing off on D.

12. roscoe36

I have not been impressed by Smith's defense at all, after hearing how he was basically a Ron Artest (in his prime) type defender.
    Mogilny likes this.
  13. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

We're 6-10 with one-fifth of the season done. I didn't expect them to have this record...actually...I did.
  14. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Talking about Smith's D, after this game? He grabbed 19 rebounds. He was hardly the problem on our defense. For this game, it was Singler. Constantly, the rest of the team was making adjustments off their own assignment to help with Singler's guy. And we got burnt because of this, over and over. Go study the game film.
  15. roscoe36

He also missed 12 shots.

Rebounds aren't the same as playing defense. His rebound numbers were high with OREBs and Drummond sitting.

Smith played 44 minutes in that game. His man torched us (again).

I get that Singler is bad but he's not costing us games all by himself.
  16. LA Dre

I am going to play both sides and say that the D for both Smith and Singler were deplorable. Singler was a tad late getting to Johnson and Williams or anybody that had the ball... Smith barely made a move to get to either one when they were camped on the 3 point arc. .

Case in point the alley-oop to Johnson the end the half when Smith was wondering what was going to be discussed at halftime instead on looking to see where Wes Johnson was.

I hope they are practicing FT shooting today and running some defensive schemes on each other.
  17. Ernie the Slow Adult

I highly doubt it.

18. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Singler is most of it. Again, go breakdown the film. And then get back to me. PS, rebounds is, and always has been, considered not only defense, but the very best kind - since you get the ball - and they can't score if you have the ball. Smith had a near triple double in this game. Plus, besides his 8 assists, 8 rebounds, and count em 19 boards, he had 5 steals and two blocks. Further, there was nothing wrong with our starters - if you consider Stuckey as a starter (since he is playing starters minutes, and actually deserves to be on the floor.) This starting unit, with Smith, was plus 15 at one point in the first half. Note, things fell apart in the 2nd half, largely because we directly, and in my opinion rather foolishly, replaced Drummond with Singler when Drummond drew his 4th foul very early in the half.

Here is a direct question for you. Do you really believe Singler can replace what Drummond gives us? I'd say it is a major step down, in a large assortment of ways.
  19. roscoe36

I think I have already posted about this.

If you watched the tape, and you didn't see Josh Smith giving up the long ball, in this game and the last, then I don't know what to say. His perimeter defense is atrocious.

I don't care how many rebounds someone got in a loss. Losing teams always have someone who puts up decent or great numbers (see Mitch Richmond).

I do get tired of the year in, year out, this player vs that player for minutes thing that is constantly going on. It's like we have to pick one to like and one to hate. Can't like Bynum if you like Siva, because Bynum is in Siva's way. Can't like Singler because he is in Mitchell's way. And so on and so forth.

Not everyone feels the way I do of course, but I am a Pistons fan. I like all of the Pistons usually. Whoever plays, I hope they play well.
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
    jzchen and Menace like this.
  20. Ernie the Slow Adult

Smith certainly gives an effort on the defensive glass, but his man to man D is bad.

His weak or backside D is as bad as it gets.