Away L.A. Lakers Sunday, November 17, 2013

Discussion in 'November 2013' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. del

del Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I'll start with a couple of the insightful comments from the Lakers commentators - they must really watch some tape on the Pistons:
    "The emergence of Drummond has meant Monroe can move over to his more natural position"
    "Stuckey is a very versatile guard"
    "Stuckey is amazing from mid-range"

This was a good opportunity to split the road trip and go home at 4-5 but instead it was a bad loss, to a bad Lakers team. Just seemed like most of the team was playing half at it the whole time, and didn't even whimper as the Lakers started the run at the end of the third.

The team still seems all at sea. There doesn't appear to be any defensive or offensive identity and even less chemistry. Pre season (no matter how our guards were affected) and 9 games should be enough time to implement an identity on at least one end of the floor.

I have to join the bench Singler crowd now too. He is just not giving us anything. At the start of his rookie season, he was knocking down 3s all over the place and I had high hopes at least for this aspect of his game, but he can't even hit wide open ones now. His limitations should be clear at this point and Datome needs to be given an extended run at SF to see if he is what we hope.

If Datome works out, we have the basis of a good 8 man rotation, where players are playing their strong positions, with players around them that compliment, for the majority of their minutes and only needs spot minutes are needed from the rest
    Drummond/Monroe
    Monroe/Smith
    Smith/Datome
    KCP/Stuckey
    Jennings/Billups

This is where the talent is Mo. Read it, play it.
    BallDon'tLie and Lee356 like this.
  2. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

You know, back when we had the Janitor, we hardly played him. But he played just a bit. And I studied the film, and said Cardinal should be in our rotation. I was scoffed at, but Cardinal had a pretty decent NBA career. People asked how the heck I knew what I knew, like Cardinal could post up, shoot straight, etc. Because I watched, and studied the film on the guy. Before McGrady got matched make per make by Tay, I said Tay could do it. While others were still scoffing at the idea of a rook getting time in the rotation. Yes, a bit of film, and lots of time to study it, can tell a lot. Scoff all you want, but I have seen a whole lot from Mitchell already, a lot of stuff that Singler could only do in his dreams.
  3. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

You should still be scoffed at. Cardinal is career 4ppg / 2rpg

Brian Cardinal NBA & ABA Stats | Basketball-Reference.com
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I don't doubt that you're very observant, and that you have made some good calls over the years, but your greatest hits track doesn't include notables like Rodney Fast Hands White.
  5. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

I don't think anyone on this planet, let alone this forum, is going to deny that Mitchell doesn't have a lot of natural talent and athletic ability. Nor would many people argue that his ceiling is lower than Singler.

But here is the problem. We have seen not a lot of Mitchell. He isn't a good shooter. His handles are average. He isn't ready to play the 3 spot on an NBA team. As a clean-up rebounder paired with Monroe, fine. But Singler fits a need, that is why he gets played (over Datome, however....)
  6. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Singler FIT a need...when he was knocking down open shots, and playing defense. So far this year, he has done very very little of either of those. His defensive rotations have been miserable, and his closeouts equally as bad.
    LA Dre likes this.
  7. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

High Ast totals can often mean you're dominating the ball. So many possessions are spent with Jennings doing a whole lot of dribbling/ball hogging. Jason Kidd was one of the best that I've ever seen in terms of giving up the ball early and often AND STILL racking up high Ast totals. Brandon by far takes the most shots on this team while simultaneously being one of our worst shooters in terms of FG%! It would be different if he was doing this out of character, but this is who the guy is! A career 39% shooter who chucks it a lot!
  8. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Let's not blame Cardinal for those stats. If he didn't play for clueless coaches with agendas against winning, those numbers would be telling a whole different story, young man.
    Pwn Toney likes this.
  9. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Before his garbage time barrage he was 4/18 from the field.
  10. roscoe36

Some of those were AOTG.
    Ernie the Slow Adult and Walter like this.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I just read Mo Cheeks' analysis of the game and I feel very confident that he is making the necessary adjustments.

So, the root of the problem is that the opponent made one shot, then two, then three, then... forty-seven shots. The first one is tough obviously. The second one is less of a challenge, but not a gimmie. Shots 3-47 are almost automatic and you just have to sit back and wait for the run to end naturally (usually by the sound of a buzzer and a crowd cheering). Gotta tip your hat to them and hope that next game we'll be the ones to make one shot, then two, then three through forty seven.
  12. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Let's walk it back in, del. We're all upset after this loss, but there's no need to do anything rash.
    del likes this.
  13. Ernie the Slow Adult

I think the Pistons have been getting some nice shots as a result of Jennings keeping the ball. It seems like all those step inside the FT line shots they've had the last couple of games have come from him keeping his dribble and going all the way under the basket and back out the other side.
  14. roscoe36

If someone is complaining about Jennings not distributing, they aren't watching him play. I won't say he's a great setup man, but he's certainly not playing like a ballhog out there.
    del, LA Dre and linwood like this.
  15. linwood

linwood All-Star

From what I've seen so far, there isn't really an obvious escapegoat. I think we would all like to find "the bum" that keeps them from winning, and then the clueless coach could just bench that particular bum, and we could enjoy the ride to the championship. It's very frustrating.

I haven't watched these games in slow motion yet, but the thing that seems to be the biggest problem is the fact that the team is either very young, or very new. I'm guessing it will take a few months for the team to come together and find an identity, and it may even take them a season (or two!) to became very good together. When the Heat added LeBron and Bosh, it still took them two seasons together to win a championship.
    Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  16. Ernie the Slow Adult

It is interesting how many posts are about offense or shot selection. The Pistons offense doesn't seem to be the problem.

It's their defense that's the issue. It's like they've never heard of a pick and roll and they stand there slack jawed admiring teams while they run it.

Sent from the new and improved Tapatalk 2.
    linwood and BallDon'tLie like this.
  17. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

He's not a ballhog.
    He had 14 dimes in this one.

I have no problem with him taking 40 shots a game if he takes them efficiently and makes a good percentage of them.
    He's averaging 18 shots a game right now at a 38% clip (around 30% on 3s).
    That's #2 in the league in shot attempts among PGs.
    If dude could simply get his percentage into the low 40's, we'd have Russel Westbook.
    The Panda and roscoe36 like this.
  18. roscoe36

I agree he needs to show better selectivity with his shots.
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

We would need lee to prove this out in a film study, but I feel like jennings' voluntary shots are decent percentage. It's the broken possession ones that are bad... but still maybe our best option at that moment. Smith too to a lesser extent.

Maybe they are still inefficient, but I'd like to see the figures.