L.A. Times reporting that Kobe is league MVP

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by ggazoo69, May 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Starter Forum Donor

2. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

My opinion too, that Chris Paul shoulda won the MVP. Kobe is nuthin but a Filet-o-Weiner. :ohwell:
  3. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

CP3 should have won this year. He is more deserving when you look at where New Orleans was last year versus this year. I think the MVP contest has turned in to a joke. It seems like the award is based on the performance the player turned in the year before. Kobe should have won the MVP last year instead of Dirk.
  4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Don't cha hate it when someone leaks out this info before it is announced. Its always some "anonymous" league source leaking the info about these awards a couple a days before. Then eveyone has to speculate and then someone denies knowing th obvious.

The MVP award was debated for several weeks prior to the end of the season more so than any of the other post season awards, with different sportscasters taking sides. With some still not believing in the Hornets, I figure some probably wanted to spread the hardware around a drop one award off to the Byron Scott for a job well done and then give Kobe a lifetime achievement award.

Last thin we need is Kobe to get the MVP, a ring and the finals mvp....he will then think is he mightier than the his Shaqfullness:sssh:
  5. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Bryant's a better offensive player than Paul, an incomparably better defender than Paul, has won more games than Paul, with a mismatched and walking-wounded team built around him for most of the year (unlike the Hornets' stereotypical roster), isn't a repeated testicle-puncher like Paul, plays in a much, much, much more important market than Paul, and has gotten rid of his baby fat.

Good choice.
  6. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

?????

Please explain this.............
  7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Great post. I'm not saying I agree, but the level of creativity is very high!
  8. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

This sentence reminds me of Kobe. Long winded (notice there are 65 words without one period) and pontificating. Bordering on whiny...:stirthepot:

I wonder if the writer made a Freudian slip with this style of writing.
  9. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

A pass-first point guard, a standing shooter/slasher, a screen shooter, a versatile post scorer, and a rebounding defensive anchor.

The only player on the roster who doesn't fit a typical archetype nearly perfectly is Bonzi Wells.
  10. Dlev59

How can you be a pass first PG if you avg 21 ppg?
  11. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

[strike]
    Well, any number of great, unselfish point guards have been[/strike]

Good point! Bryant and Paul are both ballhogs.
  12. Dlev59

Ball hog?

Kobe - Minutes 3192/ FGM-A 775-1690 - 3PM-A 150-415
    459 FG%-361 3PT%-840 FT%

CP3 - Minutes 3006/FGM-A 630-1291 - 3PM-A 92-249
    488 FG%-369 3PT% 851FT%

Those regular season stats show who might be a ballhog. Furthermore, it shows that CP3 shot at a better clip on FG, 3PT, and FT!!

Not to mention he had more steals. Oh yeah, he led the league in asst too, didn`t he........
  13. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

You're the one who said he's a gunner, not me.

A good gunner, yes. I wouldn't dream of trying to portray him as Jerry Stackhouse, no matter how shot-happy he is.
  14. Dlev59

Gunner? First you said pass first PG. Which is it? I said he is an all around player. He passes, he scores, he plays decent defense.

And as the stats have shown for this past season, he shot better than Kobe in all areas, had more steals, and IMO, should be MVP.
  15. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

I did. You disagreed. There are "pass-first" point guards and "shoot-first" point guards. If you think he's not as good as I think he is, I'm not going to disagree with you just to be fair.
  16. Dlev59

LOL, whatever you say...............

Just for the hell of it, which do you think CP3 is? Or, is he both?

I say he is both, he takes whatever is given him, and very good at it.
  17. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

I said he's pass first.

He's a very good point guard. Not insanely creative with the ball, but makes very good decisions. Decent scorer in middle volumes; good shooter. I don't think very much of his defense at all, but that's not really his fault; he's tiny. To his credit, he uses dirty play to make up for that somewhat.

Definitely a franchise player and one of the top point guards in the league. Definitely one of the more valuable players in the league. It's too bad he plays in one of the worst basketball cities in the country, where nobody's going to see his talents. I don't dislike the little guy as I do James or many people clearly do Bryant, but I don't see him as being on Kobe's level, or improving his team as much as Kobe does the Lakers.
  18. Dlev59

Sounds to me like you clearly dislike him.

Anyway, we just have to disagree on this issue.

Decent scorer in middle volumes?? What does that really mean?

Yes, he is tiny, that is what makes his talent so huge. To be able to be that valuable at his size speaks volumes.

Not insanely creative with the ball, well, if you lead the NBA in assists and avg 21 ppg, who gives a flying fish if you are creative with the ball or not.

Yes, he does play in a very small market, however, people know who he is NOW.

And yes, IMO he is just as valuable, maybe more so to his team than Kobe is to the Lakers. Is he on Kobe`s level, of course not, but that`s not the issue here, the issue is who is this years MVP.
  19. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Those stats along with leading the league in assists and steals would be enough for me to give the nod to CP3. After all the Hornets only finshed one game behind the Lakers for the best record in the west. Kobe may hit that key IMPOSSIBLE shot when his team is going thru the motions to win it in the end, but how many times have you seen CP get the whole team involved and win when they are down at halftime....They just keep coming at you.
  20. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

:thumb[1]:
    It means he can efficiently score 20 points a night. His jumpshot isn't good enough for him to do more than that yet.

I certainly don't. I'd much rather have John Stockton running my team than Pete Maravich. I was just qualifying the statement I made about his passing ability.
    What does that mean?

As far as value to the team goes, the Lakers have won more games despite having lacked Bynum for half the season and Gasol for two-thirds of it. Even now, with Gasol and lacking Bynum, the supporting casts are essentially at parity if not leaning in the Hornet's direction as far as talent goes, and yet the Lakers are winning at a higher pace. Bryant has done more with less.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.