1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

LA Lakers Jan 31 7:30 PM

Discussion in 'January 2008' started by max, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I think Rosenberg is right on. Vlad Rad was blowing past Prince with a bad wheel. I can understand having difficulty with the Kobe's of the world, but Prince has gotten burned by too many B level players lately.

2. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Spoken like a true leader. Gotta luv it. No bench = No win.

Kudos to FlipSr for coaching like Daly. Search till you uncover an answer.

3. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

way to go tay...the game winner....and then feeling that means: Take that Kobe!

[​IMG][​IMG]

4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

A quote the LA Times

Trip starts with a heartbreaker

5. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

They again demonstrated an inability to execute in the final seconds, although at least they got off a shot, unlike Sunday's nine-second meltdown against Cleveland.

But this time, after Odom's shot from the right side sailed over the rim, Kobe Bryant turned to the Lakers' bench with his palms raised up and a confused, if not angry, look on his face.

He wanted the shot. It didn't happen. Lakers lose, regardless.

"It's a tough loss," Bryant said. "It felt like we had the game, just didn't complete plays down the stretch. But still, I'm encouraged. If we play this hard, we'll be fine on this trip."

Code for "Man, am I pissed."

6. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

Rosenberg is a moron. Most of the Freep sports writers are.
    I talked to 'Horn about the game today and he said the real bullet we missed is Fisher wide open, but not seen by Odom.

7. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Yeah, and during the regular season in 04, we did use a 2nd defender on Kobe extensively. Billups. Not Tay. Too bad some of these reporters don't bother watching the games.

8. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

That is why I 'sarcasticly' spelled it wrong...and BTW, get a life!! Who the hell are u...his freekin MOM!!??

9. max

max All-Star

10. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Get a life - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:hoops:

11. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

You are right in more ways than one. Even with the most recent addition of Gasol, the key to the Laker's is Fisher. He is such a class act and the most dangerous type of player because of his clutch plays. This is one unique fellow who can quickly step up, not because of he may be hot for the moment, but through the ability to zone-in on the team's energy level that has brought them the potential of winning the game.

Jackson blew the last play for them and there should have been only two people shooting the ball....Fisher or Kobe. It would have been an easy setup for them. One quick inlet pass to a big, who uses a camouflaged look to Kobe and then a kick out to Fisher...who would have hit that shot.

To be honest with you, the starting five did not deserve to win that game. We still have an attitude problem with the somehow deserved right that the entire starting five thinks is a conspiracy theory against them. This attitude will not bring them out of the Eastern finals.

I don't think for a minute that JD doesn't know this. On the other hand, I am grateful for the full acknowledgment that no one on the piston team reads this forum, since this would only reinforce them further to complain that they get no respect and in this area they need no further help.

My simple answer for their solution is...gentlement, show some of your own class and play beyond it!

Feed from it and shut your mouths; or let Ford Motor Company buy you out, which is one way of shirking your own responsibility levels.

12. buddahfan

These comments are right on the money

But he did.

13. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

14. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I would argue that IS one of the problems with Flip. Not only to we always take 3's in clutch situations (even when we don't need them!, and when they are not falling), but a majority if not all our plays in clutch time are jump shots.

I don't remember the last time we ran a play going to the basket unless it's Chauncey just deciding on the fly to drive. We actually use to run alot more post-ups for Prince than we do now (granted he was struggling).

Easy baskets are crucial in the PO's. 3-pointers are not exactly high %, esp the stupid ones Chauncey takes at times.

15. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Watch some more NBA games when the Pistons aren't playing. At the end of the game it's always going to be a jumper for the game winner, or an offensive rebound. The only times that doesn't happen is if you have Kobe, Lebron or Wade on your team. Now I'm sure if we had one of those 3, the Pistons would get more points going to the basket too.

While I can't stand Flip's stupid, "Guys need to make shots" philosophy of basketball, it's 100% true in the last few mins of a tight game. The Spurs are champions because they've always had perimeter players who can knock down J's late in the 4th qtr, Manu is one of the best, and Fisher did the same for the Lakers back in the day. To be a champion, a guy has to be able to hit a long J, often times with a hand in his face.

16. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

If Tay doesn't grab that board or hit that shot then everyone would be killing Flip for calling for a 3 in a 2 point game.

17. buddahfan

I prefer if Sheed had closed out on Horry in 2005 we would have won two championships in a row.

18. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree with you on this one!

19. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Speaking of jumpshots in pressure situations, the play Larry Brown drew up for the Pistons in that game, with Detroit down one and several seconds to go on our home court, was Rip Hamilton isolating for a jump shot in the mid-post guarded by Tony Parker (a guard known for playing awful defense in the postseason, and a midget with no hops to boot).

Rip choked.

20. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I agree that it is important to make jump shots but to an extent.

The Spurs are champions b/c Tony Parker and Manu Ginobbli are fantastic at slashing and able to get to the hole. They didn't win championships shooting jump shots. They won b/c they have an amazing low post player, and slashing guards that can also set up three point shooters effectively.

I've watched enough NBA games to know that you can't jump shoot your way to a title. The Pistons have proved that over the past 2 years.

edited to add;

While i do have a problem with the jump shots at the end of the game, what really irks is the 3-pointers. I can accept a mid-range by Rip or a post-up fade way for Sheed a lot easier than a play call for Sheed to take a three (which he never makes anyway in the clutch, yet we keep going to it)