LA Lakers March 26th, 7:30 PM

Discussion in 'March 2009' started by Dlev59, Mar 23, 2009.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Walt and Bynum were shredding the Lakers, so Curry went away from it, and played the same lineup that got killed in the first Q, and they predictably got killed in the 3rd Q.

So by the time he goes back to Bynum and Hermann, they are 12 points down. Now 14 down.

2. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

At the risk of nitpicking, that was the same-line up that the Lakers closed the half only down 3. The only difference IIRC is that he took out Max in favor of someone else at some point in the late 2nd. And then Bynum started the second half. Can't really fault Curry here for this unless you think Hermann should have started the 2nd half in place of Prince.

3. slowfall

slowfall First Round Draft Pick

after seeing how prince played the 2nd half maybe herrmann should have started in place of him.

4. RipBillupsRJC

RipBillupsRJC Second Round Draft Pick

Bynum >>> Suckey

5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Bandwagoner. lol

6. lapeapod

lapeapod First Round Draft Pick

Well you can't hang this loss on Curry, the players are fully responsible for this hot mess of a loss. Now the Pistons are 3 under .500 and really don't deserve a spot in the playoffs. There's something wrong with the playoff system that above .500 teams in the West don't get in and teams in the East with losing records get a chance to be in the playoffs.

Will Bynum has seriously given himself a chance to be a starter on this Piston's team once all the smoke clears and the roster is stable again. I like Rodney Stuckey but the kid has hit a wall for some reason and when he's not on his game he should sit. The Pistons have a few holes to fill for next year and one is to have a serious 3 point threat player that can also play D. Walter Herrmann is just a spaz and he's entertaining as hell if the team was called the Detroit Clowns not the Pistons.

What's wrong with our fans that they were cheering MVP for Kobe? That couldn't be all Laker fans and I'm sorry there is something wrong with that in my mind.

I knew it was too good to be true when the Pistons were up by 10 only to be done by 15 at the end of the quarter. Curry did nothing to stem the collapse once Bynum went to the bench but he had run out of gas and needed a blow. We are thin on PGs and other than Bynum and Stuckey no one else is really good at dishing assists. I know Tay pretends to be a PG but he holds onto the ball until only 2 seconds on the shot clock and it's almost painful watching them jack up a shot.

I miss Sheed and Rip and want them back because this team would have a hard time beating the Clippers. I hate losing streaks so depressing to watch this game tonight.

7. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

It wasn't a long while ago, Stuckey was doing like Byrum to surprise everyone thenceforth might be other team have found the way to play him or for some unseen reason he played way so hesitatingly. He need a psychotherapist bad and so does Tay.

8. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

Lawlz.
    Even when hermann has the second best game fans STILL look for loopholes.

There's a word for this type of attitude, but at the risk of sounding like a showoff I'll refrain.

9. The Palace Artest

And I almost threw my remote when I heard those chants. As if we needed anymore evidence that this fanbase was charmin soft. Might as well give away douchebags for the first one thousand fans for the rest of the season.

10. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Stuckey is finished. Is there anyone out there who still thinks this guy is even of starting quality? He makes no positive impact on the game whatsoever...NONE!

Bynum should be voted unanimously as the point guard of the future.

11. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

To be fair, there were A LOT of Laker fans at this game... you could see the yellow in the stands. The Laker fanbase is the biggest and most well traveled in the NBA. The Palace was a place usually devoid of them... until this year.

But it sickens me none the less that so much Laker vermin made their way into the gates of the Palace. And if any Piston "fan" was chanting MVP for Kobe, they should be taken out back and shot. Man, I think Mr. D really is rolling over in his grave right now.

12. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Is it the same word for the type of attitude when people criticize Amir even though he has a good game? Just wondering.

Finished? No IMO

vastly overrated by Joe d? likely

13. max

max All-Star

They did to us what we used to do to other teams in the 4th Q. And that was just last year so where are all these Laker fans coming from?

Getting sick of our young guys. I want new young guys next year.

14. The Palace Artest

Find me where I ever criticized Amir for having a good game.

To Team Amir, believing is seeing. It's easier to acknowledge the truth when you don't develop attachments to players. Which is why arguing against AI fans was futile. Same with Stuck fans and Amir fans ( albeit it's not nearly as grating, as were all pistons fans here)

15. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Not criticized him for having a good game, criticized him despite having a good game, and i wasn't directing that against you; just general sentiment.

If Hermann has a good game, he's awesome.

If Amir does, he either really didn't or eh, that wont last.

16. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Gee, we rocked to open the 2nd quarter. And Herrmann was in there. And LA was not burning Herrmann on defense.

We had a fine defensive backcourt of Bynum and Afflalo in.

We had a fine power forward in, JMAX.

And Dyess was playing center, knocking down shots. It worked great.

But Curry missed a few things. One, he got lucky in the first half. Dyess picked up his 2nd foul, forcing him to go to Kwame to finish the 1st quarter. Which meant Dyess could come out with some rest to start the 2nd quarter.

But in the 2nd half, Curry got his way, played Dyess the whole 3rd quarter, and had to start the 4th quarter with Kwame.

Which means you could not recreate what you had in the 2nd quarter. Herrmann becomes pretty worthless with Dyess not in to spread the floor.

Also, sure, Bynum did great in that 2nd quarter. But we did not get a 17-0 run just because Bynum was playing. Bynum did not play much in the 1st quarter, and was fresh to start the 2nd quarter. And he played along Afflalo, with JMAX in the game. Some fine defense was being played by the trio of JMAX, Bynum, and Afflalo.

So what did Curry do? He started Bynum for the 3rd quarter. But not Afflalo. Not JMAX.

Stuckey still got to start the 3rd quarter, despite doing little in the first half. Any you know I knew exactly what the coach said meant. Bynum starting the 3rd meant Afflalo would be the guy replaced. Anyone think it would have been Stuckey? (Actually, I thought it was Stuckey being replaced for about 5 seconds, but then I realized that would make sense, which Curry does not have any of.)

Remember, we won the first game vs. the Lakers. But we matched up against them in that game. By shear chance, we happened to be starting Sheed and Kwame at that time. And by shear chance, Bynum was not injured for the Lakers at that time, so the Lakers were playing Gasol and Bynum paired together, two lumbering centers. And our two lumbering centers matched up just fine. But tonight, guess what, Bynum is injured, Odom is starting. Odom, a guy with enough quicks to play small forward. So who was guarding Odom? Dyess? Kwame? You got to be kidding me. Poor, poor matchup, and we got killed, totally killed, in the combined 1st and 3rd quarters. Go figure.

Another game Curry saw fit not to play Amir, who absolutely should have started this game. With JMAX spelling him. We should have had a power forward in the game every second of this game. The Lakers sure did. Not once did they pair up two centers.

Small ball. Yeah, like that is going to work. In desperation, Curry reverted to small ball, moving Tay up to power forward. Nuts. Tay is not a power forward. No rebounding after that move.

In all, we see Curry lately reverting to stuff that simply never worked - two centers where only one is needed. Small ball. Even in the face of the very obvious, considering that huge run we had featured a power forward and a cetner paired up, you can rest assurred that Curry will not notice at all and still start Kwame and Dyess the next game too. Surely another loss.

Bynum had a great game. 25 points, 11 assists. Like someone said, yes, he ran out of steam. So sit him two minutes and get him right back out there. That was one ugly, ugly stretch with Stuckey in and seeing us give up a 0-20 run to LA.

Bynum was getting to the basket, dishing out after drawing defenders, and hitting outside shots if played off of. Quite a show, and what a pest on defense.

Afflalo hit a couple of shots early, did not do much after that. Except play good D. We got in trouble to start the 3rd, trying to guard with Kobe with Stuck or Bynum. Not going to work. Mostly, it just tired out Bynum. One can only do so much.

Tay hit some threes. As mentioned by someone, he was very heavily minus in this game. But hey, he kept finding himself with no power forward in the game. He opened the first and third with two lumbering centers, and closed the game with small ball. All losers. Don't blame it on Tay.

Herrmann certainly had a good game. Lots of shots made, while the team managed to cover his lack of D quite well with good defensive rotations.

Just imagine if we had a decent coach. Dyess starts this game, or Kwame. It don't matter. But just one of them starts. The other comes off the bench fresh. What a concept, keeping a fresh center in the game at all times. And gee, if you are going to start two centers, one ancient of days, and one young, for certain let the ancient of days guy rest first. (which again, by accident, Curry got right in the first half.)

If we had a decent coach, he would know that JMAX and Amir between them have 12 fouls to give. No, there is never an excuse to not have a power forward in the game. If Amir gets into foul trouble, JMAX comes on early, and then Amir spells him on occasion as the foul situation permits. Pretty simple. PS, did I mention, Bynum is injured for the Lake Show? Maybe Curry missed that. Anyway, hey, we could have had a fresh power forward in there all game long.

I can't emphasize enough, Will Bynum is fresh, hardly having played this season really. Stuckey is way overplayed, for this, his first full year of NBA ball. Do not be so quick to judge these two. Bynum did look fantastic tonight. But Stuckey is still quite a good player. Imagine if the roles were reversed. Bynum wiped from heavy minutes all season, and Stuckey coming in fresh as a morning breeze in April. Think about it.

Sharpe got a very long stretch, compared to his usual 30 seconds. He looked awful bad at the free throw line. But hey, did you see that closeout he did? He moved pretty darn fast, and put the breaks on, not committing a foul. Pretty good defense right there. He also looked pretty solid on that boxout that got him to the line. Not much data on the guy, but he looks like an intriguing player.

Of note, Tay hit some 3's in the 2nd half. And he got a good long rest, from Herrmann, in the 2nd quarter. So Herrmann actually did some good in the "resting a starter" department, as well as shooting well.

Kwame did not look bad, individually. But he was continually put into a bad mix of players. Like Tay, I think he was a million points or so negative in this one.

17. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

You complained after the last game that people were only looking at your Walt hate and ignoring all the other points you made, but here you start your recap with 135-140 words that explained why Herrrman was only a bit player in that 2nd Q run while players like Max and AA held mirrors to create the illusion. True or False?

18. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Completely false. Reread it. Good luck though with your "ridicule Lee" filters on.

19. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

It really is hard to put into words how much Stuckey is K-I-L-L-I-N-G them out there. How many times can he pick up his dribble and force a pass into the waiting arms of an MVP candidate for a break away lay-up? Does he even know that he is allowed to dribble?

The type of drop off that occurs when they go from Bynum to Stuckey should only take place when they go from Bynum to me at the point.

Two words for the rough 1st quarter, Walter Herrrrman.

Two words for the rough 3rd quarter, Walter Herrrrman.

Two words for the rough 4th quarter, Walter Herrrrman.

It looks like Tay has convinced himself he is tired. I think the play of the game was in the 3rd Q when Tay had Gasol on him and Dyess had Ariza and Odom on him and Tay held the ball for a 10 count before forcing a pass into the double team that was picked off. Now a lay person might think that was a bad play by Tay, but if you were watching closely on the match-up cam you saw Herrrrman adjusting his pony tail distracting Tay.

20. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

You start out this post ok. Agreeing with me that just maybe we should have both started Bynum in the 2nd hafl, and not started Stuckey. But then you go on to what I assume is yet another attempt to ridicule me with your Herrmann comments.

Anyway, even though you annoy the heck out of me these days, I do appreciate it when you take the time to actually comment on the game, as you did to start this post.