Lack of enthusiasm poll

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Pwn Toney, Aug 15, 2006.

?

Are you excited about this coming season?

1. No, having Nazr go 4-6 instead of Ben's 1-6 isn't the reason we lost

13 vote(s)
    38.2%
  2. Yes! Give us anybody...we will win!

21 vote(s)
    61.8%
  1. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Does anyone else here share my lack of excitement for this coming season? I just can't see myself getting all worked up for an opening night lineup that boasts Nazr and an additional Flip. I cannot be only person on this forum who can't see it happening this year.

...Who's with me???
  2. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I agree Low, it is difficult to be excited about this upcoming season. However, we are talking about the Pistons and the EC. I think we all expect the Pistons to make the playoffs but anything less than a trip to the Finals is considered a wash.

Also, the Pistons seem to be the only team in the EC to take a step back by losing Ben; everyone else has either remained the same as last year or slightly improved.

I may not splurge on NBA League Pass this year because of 2 kids in private school and the possibilty of watching a 500 Piston team limp through the season.

Anyway, I`m a B-ball fan so bring on the season, if anything it ought to be entertaining.
  3. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm with you man. I think we've taken a big step backward this offseason.

The only saving grace would be if the team learned from the mistakes of last season. If they don't, it'll be a long regular season and very short post season.
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

My enthusiasm is high. The minute the ball goes up in the first game, I will be sucked in as I am every year. Living and dying with every second of the shotclock.

Sure the last two years haven't gone to plan, but it might have done some good for Pistons fan nation to have our expectations lowered from a Championship or bust mentality.

Pistons fan for life. I'll be happy with a very strong showing in the ECF. Anything after that is pure gravy.
  5. Pwn Toney

C'mon roscoe, you can't tell me that you aren't going to be tossing beers at your set watching nothing but jumpers and more jumpers and these guys letting Wade and LeBron go to the rim at will. Nevermind the fact that that big game changing block on Shaq will never happen again.

...You think we got outrebounded this year WITH Ben....oh my friend, wait until tip off 06/07.
  6. roscoe36

I don't drink beer. And I don't throw food at expensive things!

That's what made it so special. It was a moment frozen in time. Like when I saw Mugsy Bogues block Patrick Ewing. The kind of thing you never, ever forget.

I am waiting. The worst part of the last game of the season is that I have to go months without NBA basketball (for better or worse). I'd rather watch crappy Pistons (not that I think this team will be crappy) than no Pistons at all.

You will watch too. We're all highway gawkers on the Bill Davidson Freeway.
  7. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I'm not at all enthused.

Oh, I'll be looking forward to the first game, but not the season. It's not because I don't expect to see a 2007 championship banner. I'm not even sure we will see the Eastern conference finals. But it's not that.

I feel "blah" about the moves this summer, and I've said it before. I don't have anything against the current Pistons, but they just are "vanilla" to me. They are hard workers and for the most part seem like good citizens, but the group doesn't get my fan blood flowing.

If we had some rookies I thought we might play, I'd be much more enthused. But Acker is kind of gone, and I may as well hope the Lions have a good season as hope we will see much of Johnson, Maxiell, Delfino, Blalock, etc.

Flip scares me. I don't think he can coach in the playoffs.

What's to look forward to?

I'm not saying we won't have our exciting moments. I'm sure we will, but for now I am not feeling enthusiastic about next season.
  8. linwood

linwood All-Star

The Low: Now you know I've been right there with you on every gripe and complaint about the lack of interior D, no low post offense, Flip ball, 3 point attempts on the fast break, and on and on.

However. I think Nazr is under appreciated around here. He won't replace Ben, but it's not like we just picked up Olowakandi. Nazr can play, and he has contributed to a championship team, as a starter, and will contribute here. Thats no lie. I'm not sold on Flip at all, but I still like the team. I think they have tons of talent, and are still "going to work." You can't tell me that Rip, Chauncey, Tayshaun, Sheed, Dice, Delfino, and Maxiell with new guy Nazr don't have a chance!

I watched them in Teal. I watched them with superstars Grant Hill and Alan Houston. I watched them trade it all away for Ben Wallace, Corliss Williamson, Jon Berry and Chucky Atkins. I watched Memo and Zelly, and I will watch every single game I can this coming season.
  9. Pwn Toney

You mean I'm the only one tossing beer and ruining my electronics???

thanks roscoe
  10. roscoe36

Tomorrow is a new day. LOL.
  11. Pwn Toney

don't get me wrong linwood, I don't doubt any of your credentials. I just am very disappointed in that the system that best utilized Ben was quickly tossed aside and everybody seems to be thrilled about it. I am a Pistons fan all the way through, but I just lack that usual excitement for the beginning of the year. Especially when we were in a position to contend for another 3 seasons.

I guess my goal is to understand what people are looking forward to.
  12. roscoe36

I am looking forward to punking the Heat. I am looking forward to punking Lebron James. I am looking forward to punking Memo (money talks), and I am looking forward to punking Uncle Cliffy.

You know I am looking forward to punking Darko and Arroyo. I will probably enjoy looking forward to punking Ben. It will be really nice to punk Kobe and Paul Pierce. Definitely looking forward to punking the Knicks.

I also think we will punk San Antonio, sending Tiny Timmy Duncan scurrying for more apple juice and a hug from his coach. We'll punk Rick Carlisle and Jermaine O'Neal for what will feel like the 10,000 time.

I'm looking forward to Kenny the Jet talking about our shortcomings, and Charles Barkley calling him an idiot. I'll be looking forward to LB getting a settlement from the Knicks that enables him to buy an adult diaper factory.

I look forward to Nazr Mohammed growing an afro, and Rip Hamilton throwing his mask at Mike Abdenour. Pretty pumped about Rasheed's first, second and eighteenth technicals next season.

I'm looking forward to Jason Maxiell smashing a backboard and Amir Johnson in the dunk competition. I'm looking forward to Dale Tazer blocking Alonzo Mourning and Tayshaun Prince slapping the backboard after a dunk.

And that's before they start preseason.
  13. Pwn Toney

i don't know, roscoe...I think Ben's attitude was the reason we were able to punk alot of people. They were intimidated.....no more. I'm worried about 2000 jumpers with 20 on the shot clock and getting outscored in the paint 79-8. But, I think I'll just have to down 3 extra brews before tip off. I might be able to fend off my aneurism that way....:doh:
  14. roscoe36

We can punk them with jumpers! We will punk them at the FT line! Our coach will out-twitch the best sideline talent in the league.

You got me all pumped up and now I won't be able to sleep!
  15. Pwn Toney

THere is nothing funnier than you up all night screaming in a Blaha voice about Nazr and dunking a Nerf basketball running around your room screaming.

:pound:
  16. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Right now, I don't feel like watching basketball. I can't even get motivated to post at the moment, every topic seems like a big fat chocolate cake and you want to have some, but you're so full you feel like throwing up.

Come tip off for the first game I will probably be excited again. I'm looking forward to being underdogs again, I think thats our comfort zone. They never looked that comfortable being 'can't miss champs'.

I remember listening to every game in the stackhouse era (i prefer to remember the eras by the players, not colour of the uniforms) and hanging on every shot.

I'm looking forward to seeing how these guys play without the safety net of ben. I also want to see if flip actually does have a 2nd and 3rd page in his playbook that people say he wasn't able to utilise last season.
  17. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

it's hoops. it's still the pistons. it's alot of unknown quantities. of course, i'm excited. i may not be happy -- at least not all the time, but enthusiastic? definitely! i feel a wave of relief -- though darth and others are right that the offseason moves are at best vanilla and at worst a big step backward -- because the group we had as constituted and coached was NOT going to make it over the top this year. so this year's time might not (probably will not) either. but all the usual expectations and judgments and criteria go out the window. it's all new for me again. i'm very excited. i don't care how they do. i just wanna see WHAT they do.
  18. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

:scared: That image doesn't help one bit!!!! :laugh:
  19. G-man

G-man Starter

I love Detroit Basketball. With Mcleod gone I might love it even more.

The beginning of the season is the my favorite time. I like late October, November and the Christmas month. Anything can happen, new guys get looks, old guys lose fat and the coaches actually use more than 1 half of their offensive play books.

I want to see some new sets. I want to see Rip rip, I want to see Roscoe in season with no technicals booked (game 1 - first 3.5 minutes) and I want to see C-note dropping the rock from 30 feet outside the arc.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Pistons ahead on the scoreboard at the end of the first period of each game. I'm looking forward to seeing Nazr's elbows become the most lethal and feared flying bones in basketball, (to both the surprise and adulation of Piston fans everywhere)....:eyebrows:

I am ready..
  20. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

``I just am very disappointed in that the system that best utilized Ben was quickly tossed aside and everybody seems to be thrilled about it.''

Well put. Everyone's been yammering this offseason about how Flip's offense requires a center who can stick 10-foot jumpers. If that's the case, and knowing who our center was at the time, WTF were we thinking last summer when we were installing this offense?

Overall, until the Flip era, I was comforted by the knowledge that Joe was building the team and making moves based on a sound set of principles he was easily able to articulate. That was a big part of what I thought set him apart from other GMs. It's no longer certain that the philosophy underpinning the Pistons is both sound and fully thought out.

As for what will happen in the playoffs, well, I will no longer believe in the adage that ``players play and coaches coach'', as in there's only so much a coach can do. The Heat/Pistons series of the past 2 years show that coaching matters. Coaching is crucial. We've got 4 extremely good, playoff-tested and humbled players. None of them are all that young. Unless we change coaches, we're wasting their few good remaining years.