Lack of enthusiasm poll

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Pwn Toney, Aug 15, 2006.

?

Are you excited about this coming season?

1. No, having Nazr go 4-6 instead of Ben's 1-6 isn't the reason we lost

13 vote(s)
    38.2%
  2. Yes! Give us anybody...we will win!

21 vote(s)
    61.8%
  1. iamme

iamme First Round Draft Pick

have Pistons fans become that spoiled?

i'm totally amped for the NBA season to start again.

i can't wait to see the new look Pistons go at it and try to form a new identity. i'm excited to see more Delfino, Maxiell, and maybe even Amir. sure, we're not going into the season as the favorites, but isn't that the position we all relished?

2. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Our post season moves have sucked big time! That said I am still intrigued as expectations for this team have not been this low since about 5 years ago. My optimism for an amazing season is down considerably, but the dedicated fan in me still waits for Santa with a plate of cookies and a cup of milk. I'll hold on to hope until the writing on the wall is obvious.

3. easybuckets

easybuckets First Round Draft Pick

I look forward to a season without the distraction of Ben disrupting the coach's game plans. He insisted on being on the floor all the time and I don't think the coach had much control over him. Let's see what Flip can do with a more coachable team. I an excited about Delfino and Tay and Amir. I think there will be more flexibility and more options. I am looking forward to see who gets the 15th roster spot. Nazr and I have the same birthday so I think he will do really well. Sheed will step up and play more in the paint.

4. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

I think it's a mistake to think that Ben leaving will cure all of Flip's lack of authority problems. Sheed lashed out as much as anyone, and pretty much half the team was talking to reporters in May about how crappy a coach he is.

5. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

I can't pin this on anyone in particular, but I think I'm finding that some fans would rather not have the best team and therefore have something to hope for and specualte about...sort of like their excitement is fueled by the intrigue. I'm just not one of those fans. I like to find something that works and stick with it...even if it means some people will be unhappy.

I guess that's why there are 64 colors in the Crayola box...

6. hack

64 colors: one for each useless regular-season win last year!

7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

That's why they play the games. If it was a given that they will win or lose, why watch? Where is the drama?

I'm not writing anyone off, or ordaining anyone the champ before training camp starts. Anything can happen. Except LB or Darko coming back.

8. hack

Two reasons for enthusiasm: there's no clear favorite, and our guys should, if the laws of sports psychology apply to them, come back hungry and humbled. Is that enough to overcome the Flip v Riley problem? Has Riley spent his load? Will he still be able to get Walker/Williams/Payton coexisting with everyone and playing defense?

9. KP

KP First Round Draft Pick

Normally, this time of year I'm torn between wanting summer to linger and wanting the Pistons to start playing. This year, summer is winning my heart.

I'm still hooked on the Pistons - that's why you still find me checking in on this site nearly every day. But the team has consumed so much of my energy the last few years that I feel a bit drained.

We don't have as many things to look forward to this season - other than how badly we will miss Ben. No new coach this year, no hoping Darko finally breaks out, we already know - even if we don't want to believe it - that Delfino and the youngsters aren't going to play. Seems like we're not in position to be dominate in the future - like we thought we were last year.

Is it because I feel like we're going to be witnessing our title hopes slip away as we gradually fall back to the middle of the pack? I hope not, but Joe hasn't given us much to be excited about this offseason.

10. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Okay Low I am not excited as I was last year this time, the only reason is because I am looking forward to the Lions and their improved coaching staff and QBack. I am sitting on pins and needles waiting for the Fball season and the lions fooling some folks.

Come October, I will be amped up for the Pistons, hopefully the Tigers will be headed towards winning the pennant by then and the Lions will be 3-0 or 4-0. My goodness what a country!!!!, I Love this game......

Now for the Pistons, I fully expect them to not lose much with Nazr, we still have our big four, now we have Nazr who may not bring as much shot blocking and intimidation, but his offense will definitely be a vast improvement.

Like Rip mentioned in his article last week, "people will sleep on them, they like being underdogs", they are defintely the underdogs this year, matter of fact that's a good line for a new thread.

Had surgery on my Lax, repaired a torn muscle couldn't use this left hand to do much typing, but I am back in stride. What an awful surgery.

11. roscoe36

@ KP, summer is winning. LOL. I think it's the tigers...

@ army, good to see you back big Sis.

@ Hack, hopefully the Pistons have a tough start. That should get the underdog juices flowing in time to tune the engine for the playoffs. And I don't think Joe will make any significant moves unless his team is floundering...

12. G-man

G-man Starter

Re: How many chefs made this soup?

"I can't pin this on anyone in particular, but I think I'm finding that some fans would rather not have the best team and therefore have something to hope for and specualte about...sort of like their excitement is fueled by the intrigue. I'm just not one of those fans. I like to find something that works and stick with it...even if it means some people will be unhappy." Low

I hear ya Low. But the reality is it's out of our hands and yesterdays news. I can want it the way it was until I'm blue in the face and it won't make an iota of difference.

I found it incredibly hard to believe that Big Ben;

A. Needed the extra 11 million that bad (but it is a biz, players get that more than us no matter how much we srite about it).

B. Thought he'd have a better chance to win a future title in Chicago than Detroit.

C. Subjugted his desire to win another ring to his desire of putting more green in the bank because he got so pissed over the Piston offer.

D. Didn't at least give Dumars a week to try and put together some kind of sign-n-trade, (again if only for the friendly pr value as opposed to reality of it actually happening) especially since his own arrival in Detroit was engineered in the Grant Hill sign-n-trade. It's not like Chicago was going to sign someone else once they knew they were actually on his radar screen, and with Tellem at the helm, they knew he was in their gravitational field.

There has to be a really intense 'back story' involving his agents role in moving him that quickly. It was his side that released the info that Dumars was making "one offer and that was it". That was a pure and solid "offensive" pr tactic.

But whatever really happened behind the scenes we aren't ever likely to know the real happenings. The Pistons org knows they will lift his jersey into the rafters one day. And whatever day that is will be a good one for the org. They are bankrolling future "feel good" events at the Palace and aren't going to go public with any squabbles that might tarnish those events.

As an aside the Piston org certainly isn't blameless (they did "thump & bump" Brown for Saunders). I don't think the Pistons wanted to pay him that kind of money and were graced by Chicago. Whatever they thought regarding their positive pr spin of offering him the contract making him the 'highest" Piston player contract ever was wiped off the pages pretty quick by the 11M over the top from Chicago. Arm Tellem tweaked their noses, swatted their fannies and sent them to the 'time out' corner.

They went from being the hero (make that; financially prudent hero) to the goat faster than the speed of light. They got lots of egg on their faces and I'm sure Arn Tellem and Dumars will be having some interesting confabs in the future.

Remember Tellem sold his agency to the Wasserman Media Group in January of this year. He needed a home run himself and Big Ben likely became a pawn in a different kind of game. His move to Chicago in a year w/limited Free Agents was a home run for Tellem on a professional level.

http://www.pcc-direct.co.uk/Mergers_Takeovers_Group_Acquires_620.html

Check out this list of Wasserman/Tellem clients.
    http://www.wmgllc.com/management/index.html

Low - Here's an interesting little thread to help us all re-live the impending moment, it'll put some shiver in your timbers mi amigo....:)

http://www.truehoop.com/free-agents-and-trades-27594-the-battle-of-big-ben.html

13. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Re: How many chefs made this soup?

I'm certainly not going to endorse the offseason moves... but I'm very curious how the post-Ben team will perform.... how is the offense going to flow? How much of a setback will it be without Ben roaming the paint like a wild man.
    I do believe that teams were learning how to score on Ben... just put a bigger body on him and go right into him (making him off balance and unable to block the shot)... it was a regular occurance having opposing centers score above their average and at a high %.
    No doubt the help defense will suffer.
    So yes I'm excited to see the new look team... mostly from a curiousity perspective.
    The other thing is we can't assume Joe is done dealing.

14. hack

That's a worry, Roscoe. They'll come out guns blazing likely and again risk peaking too early. Flip's fool's-gold offense is also going to artificially inflate expectations again, I fear.

15. roscoe36

It's all about the luxury tax. Period. Dumars is purposely not acquiring trade pieces through a Ben S&T, re-signing Ben, re-signing Cato, dumping Darko/Arroyo, etc.

I want to believe he has some grand plan for the future, related to the potential 4 picks next year in a deep draft. Joe could be putting the franchise in a position to make a long term run 3 years from now. Unlike us, he doesn't have the benefit of looking at the team year to year, game to game with blinders on to the long term reprecussions of his decisions.

16. hack

``Joe could be putting the franchise in a position to make a long term run 3 years from now.''

I can't say that's what this looks like, though Joe could be positioning himself via tradeable contracts.

17. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

I am not enthusiastic at the moment. Heck, it's the off season, and we really haven't done much. We got the "best" FA center in a weak FA market, and we added a guy to back up the 2, at best. We got another draft pick that we will be debating about whether he should play or not for the next 2 years. We've got more draft picks sitting at the end of the bench, and a coach who promises to play them this year, but he said he liked to use a 10 man rotation when he got here last year too. The same coach, who still has a few more years left on his contract. The same coach who was supposed to be an "offensive genius" with a huge playbook, but all we saw were jump shots, and when the high pick and roll to a jumper seemed to be their bread and butter. Joe D seems to be asleep at the wheel. Davidson won't shell out a few extra bucks to help ensure that we contend for a title. And on top of that, a lot of us have been at or near each-other's throats because we're suffering from the let down of losing to a team with 2 stars and some role players, when our team seemed to play uninspired.

No, I'm not enthusiastic.

Will I watch next season? Yeah I will.

Will I eagerly gobble up every piece of news about the young guys developing and Flip promising to play them? Yeah I will.

Am I "enthusiastic"? No, not really.

18. KP

KP First Round Draft Pick

That about says it all, Super. I feel better now.

19. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think the Pistons will surprise some teams this year. Expectations are going to be lower from the national media. The Pistons scored about 8 points more per game without Ben on the floor. (Of course, they gave up about 14 points more per game without Ben on the floor.) The offense should be much improved with defenses forced to play the Pistons more honest.

I get fired up to watch the Pistons every year. From Bob Lanier, Terry Tyler, Kelly Tripucka, Kent Benson,...., to Nazr Mohammed, I love and cheer for them all.

Only 55 days until Detroit opens up the preseason at Miami. Bring it on!

20. hack

I don't think anything really matters other than the Flip/Riley coaching matchup. The only thing that can overcome that is our top four guys each playing better than ever for the entire series.