Lack of enthusiasm poll

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Pwn Toney, Aug 15, 2006.

?

Are you excited about this coming season?

1. No, having Nazr go 4-6 instead of Ben's 1-6 isn't the reason we lost

13 vote(s)
    38.2%
  2. Yes! Give us anybody...we will win!

21 vote(s)
    61.8%
  1. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Low you were right on all accounts.
    We did what the league told us: put the ball through the hoop. A ton of effort went into that. Did they forget everything LB taught them, probably, dam-it. On a good day we're as good as a Miami or Dallas and that's it. Can Flip out coach Riles, not likely, but he's our no LB!

2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

When Ben showed up on 2000, we didn't know what the Pistons were going to do with him as the expectations were low. Some how or another only Joe knew what the potential was there as Ben went on to have 6 productive years.

Ben never averaged more than 8 boards a game before he got here and Nazr has never averaged more than 9. We are not expecting to get the defense out Nazr that we got out of Ben, but we got a man in the middle who is an inch taller and 3 years younger, so i expect him to contribute and eventually with exception of the fro hopefully make us forget about Ben. Go Nazy, Go Pistons!!:fingerscr

3. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

What I'm saying is the rate of repeat ships or even back to back returns to the show is pretty slim... this easily could have happened with LB at the helm...
    It certainly didn't help having Sheed gimp around (Rip too for that matter)

Did Pop screw up the Spurs?...
    It's a cyclical thing... the Heat very well could have beaten the Pistons the prior year without injuries...

I specifically remember game 5 in the ECFs when the Pistons tried almost exclusively to get inside... with no success.

IMO talent won the trophy.... some could blame the lack of bench PT... but the Heat had proven bench contributors to rely on... we were stuck with unproven and unreliable young kids.
    It can be hard admiting your own team lacks the skills and legit depth to run the table.... but that is the truth
    Not to say the Flip was faultless... he shares the blame... but do you think he didn't plead with Sheed to get inside?... I can pull up a direct quote if that will help.

4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I think that Ben is going to be for the Bulls what Magglio is to the Tigers. A good (bordering on great) player with some deficiencies, who is being overpaid by about $5M/year.

In both cases, it showed that the team was serious about making a run and paying for talent.

5. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

If the Bulls don't pass the Pistons in the next couple years... they are screwed... lot's of contract renewals coming up.

6. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

I get what you're saying 100%. But, ECF game 5 proves my point. You can't ignore scoring inside all season long and then decide you're just going to manufacture points in the paint for game 5 of the ECF.

I don't disagree that chances are slim. I just think there are certain things you can do as a team that will almost guarantee your failure. I just happen to think the Pistons made several of these critical type errors recently.

7. explosivity

explosivity First Round Draft Pick

I hate to admit it Low but you were right on last year about last year's Pistons but that does not make you a prophet. Almost anyone can be right about a few aspects and draw conclusions about a team. For example in 2004 I was almost for certain that we had a very good shot to beat the Lakers because of our depth and most importantly our defense. No proof provided by me because we did not have this forum and eveyone i know will hate to admit that I was dead on. Good call on last year Low but this doesnt make you a prophet by any stretch of the imagination. If you want to be prophetic predict who will have the best record in the EC, which teams will be in the ECF, and who inevitably be in the Finals, and win it. Prophesy :eyebrows:

8. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

This is true.

I think we're still lacking a player that can hold their inside postion and consistently put it in the hole... pretty sad when your best post player is your PG

9. Pwn Toney

Done.

Best record: East

MIA

ECF Teams:

MIA v CLE/NJ (dependent on injuries)

FINALS

DAL v MIA

WINNER:

DAL

*condition: Any major trades during the season will call for a re-eval.

10. Pwn Toney

I agree...I just want to see the effort made. Even if our best post player is Chancey...it very well could have been Prince, but he was NEVER utilized to that strength. They gotta at least try.

11. explosivity

explosivity First Round Draft Pick

Wow, so you have both Cleveland and NJ over us next year in the playoffs. Lol, well we will see next year I believe alot of people will be suprised next year in what will come to pass as you say. Just like you had Miami winning it all last year, lol. Who would have thought that. All I am saying is that more than ever there is an abundance of parody in the league and I don't think anyone really knows what is gonna happen unless there is a conspriracy. :nod:

Best Record in East

Detroit

ECF

Miami vs Detroit/Cleveland

Finals

Miami/Detroit vs Dallas/Phoenix

You can quote me as of today Pistons will be ALOT better than you think Low believe it. Quote it and save it. :eyebrows:

12. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Even watching the VSL it was boring. You see the same predictable sets. I really wish they would mix it up a little more. Sure that jumper is open but the defense was set and never really made to rotate more than one time.

13. Pwn Toney

Fine by me, but this team will most likely not make it out of the second round. Hell, we needed 7 games to be CLE WITH Ben Wallace. This team without Ben doesn't have what it takes to tough it out anymore. You take Ben off our team this season and it's Lebron and Wade all over your TV for ECF and eternity.

14. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I know Stern and the NBA would love that, however, with the Pacers getting Harrington they may have a say in that ECF.

I am going to take a wait and see attitude towards this years Piston team. I think the players we have are talented and able to go at least to the ECF barring injuries, it`s the Flipper that worries me.

As long as he is the head coach that aura of doubt and collapse will abound!!!!!!!!

15. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

So you think the Heat will win 71 games.
    Cause Day-Twaw will win 70.
    Book it and expect no mercy.

16. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I am not saying this team is going to better without Ben, but it has a good chance to go further. You have to remember that this team had a 7 man rotation. 4 out of the 7 arguably had the worst playoff performances in their career (Chauncey, Rip, Sheed, and Ben).

There is just no way Chauncey has a worse playoff performance than last season. If Sheed stays healthy he will have a way better playoff performance. If Nazr can work on his game and play very hard he might have a chance to do better than Bens performance last playoffs.

17. Pwn Toney

Going further = better

18. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I didn't mean like that. Chauncey, Rip, Sheed and Ben did all bad in the playoffs last season.

Now lets say that this years team has Tay doing the same, Nazr having a good playoffs, the bench producing and Rip Sheed and CB playing to their high abilities in the playoffs. Than this team has good chance to go further than last years team.

If they do go further does that mean they're better than last years team? No it means they did better, but they are not neccesarily better.

19. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

That is awesome himat! I like how you broke it down and made it clear.

20. Pwn Toney

thanks roscoe, you're always taking the other member's side...:hurt: