Laimbeer in WNBA Playoffs

Discussion in 'Other Hoops Talk' started by aurora, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

See, I really would love to see Laimbeer coach the club some day, but these are exactly my concerns too. It could be a disaster wating to happen.

It would be exciting to give it a go when and if the time seems right, but on the other hand I hate seeing our ex-heroes fail as coaches and leave Detroit on a sour note.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I don't think Lambs should approach anything differently than he did as a player. Abrasive, aggressive, relentless.

Not sure that he would make a good pro men's coach, and too much yelling just tunes players out.

The one thing Laimbeer has, that he questions in his own team, is competitiveness. That is what made him a great player. He never stopped competing. 2nd place was not good enough.

Hmmm, maybe the "if it ain't rough, it ain't right" crowd COULD learn something from him...
  3. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

The current Pistons crew could use that edge. People on this board say that the new rules of the NBA have hurt the Pistons. But there are always loopholes. Just need to have the right coach to help you find them. Laimbeer cheated with the best of 'em. He could show the boys how it's done. :pound:
  4. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Exactly.

That`s where the motivation factor comes in. What could Lamb do to motivate an NBA squad to compete as he did? More importantly, will they respond to him?

Maybe in time they would, however, a coach with no NBA experience will not be successful with an abrasive, agressive attitude, IMO.
  5. roscoe36

Worked for Avery Johnson to a degree. It's a matter of balancing the carrot and the whip.
  6. Darth Tater

Gazoo, didn't you sit next to me in law school? :pound:
  7. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Avery started out as an assistant remember, in the process of being groomed for the head coaching position.

I`m not saying it can`t be done, but it would be very difficult.
  8. ggazoo69

Hey DT, let's face it, the Bad Boys played dirty and got away with a lot. However, their style of play led to intimidation of other teams. Laimbeer could bring a little of that with him. Besides, I don't think there's much love lost between some of his Shock players and him. I think his days are numbered after this season.

Yeah, I've heard how competitive law school can be. People hiding books and stuff that are supposed to be accessible to everyone. "The Rainmaker" is one of my favorite movies and there are a few snippets about law-school backstabbers in there.
  9. Darth Tater

I don't want to get off topic, but that's exactly how it was. Most people there would cut your throat in a second. I would always try to help others, but it seemed like almost everyone else had a hidden agenda. Maybe it was because of the damned curve (a set number of people, 20 percent, had to flunk any given class in the first year).

My profs loved me. Believe it or not I was very quiet in class and didn't kiss butt like my peers, but I was older and had integrity (believe it or not) unlike MOST my peers.

:focus: It's a dream, but Laimbeer symbolizes everything our team stands for. Push comes to shove, I'd like to see him coach, but my head tells me it would never work.
  10. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

I don't know, I bet Laimbeer would get more respect from the players than Flip does. Integrity.
  11. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I bet Ben Wallace would have given Laims more respect than he gave Flip. If the team was abandoning it's defensive play and assignments, Bill would be in their face. All Flip did was fold his arms and twitch:pound:

I can see Laimbeer getting frustrated with the ladies after next season. He is already frustrated with Swin and Ruth. Maybe Mr. Davison should him to the Piston coaching ranks as an assistant after next years Shock season.
  12. roscoe36

13. roscoe36

14. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I bet in the WNBA offices, they compare Laimbeer to Mark Cuban in terms of yelling at refs.:gun1: Maybe his team will repond now or just say the heck with it, help pay his fine and go out quietly into the offseason :messer:

Meanwhile visions of the Monarchs celebrating:dancingparty:
  15. detteam

detteam All-Star

Maybe I've been wrong in promoting Laimbeer as assistant coach. I just wish Flip had half the passion BL has about the game and pushing the team. Maybe Porter is the happy medium.
  16. roscoe36

17. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I just finished reading this article on espn and was about to post the link.

Is it just me, or is the writer making a big deal about nothing, regarding his "personal comments" in-game?

But it also means anyone tuned into ESPN2 could have overheard such personal comments as Laimbeer telling his assistants that Shock star Cheryl Ford "brought the attitude tonight," which occurred earlier this postseason. Then, on Sunday in Game 3, Laimbeer said center Ruth Riley was "overmatched." According to the Associated Press, Laimbeer also said guard Deanna Nolan "floated" despite her game-high 22 points, and claimed the Shock "lost our brain at times."

Uh... yeah, so what? I'd hardly call those "personal comments". Definitely nothing worth writing about.
  18. Darth Tater

Shock up 43-37 at the half. I just can't figure this team out.
  19. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Yeah, I just walked in the door and was happily surprised to find them up by 11 with just over eight minutes to go.:fingerscr
  20. ggazoo69

If I read the box score right, the Shock outscored the Monarchs 16-2 in the final stanza and win by 20! A fifth and deciding game is upcoming.