Laimbeer resigning from Shock

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by detteam, Jun 15, 2009.

1. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

2. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

As you know, you only get one chance as a specific franchise. Very seldom does a coach get fired, and then get rehired by the same team years later. Although I think a coach has been rehired this year (forgot who). If I was Dumars, I'd tell Bill I am extremely interested in you once you prove you are one of the best among the NBA coaches. I don't view this as being disloyal. I just view it as being smart. I think we need to get back to thinking like champions. Dumars was thinking like a champion when he sat down at his desk and said to himself, I'm gonna go out and get Larry Brown. He really blew it when he hired Curry. Respect as a coach has to be earned, not given. Bill earned it as a player no doubt. And he has earned it as a coach in the WNBA. But proving to be one of the best coaches in the NBA, he has not done yet. I may get ridiculed here for saying this, but I'm all for firing Curry, bringing Zeke in as the coach, and Bill and Rick Mahorn as assistants. I hate to see how many technicals we may get next year. :pound: Zeke as a GM was atrocious. But I think he is a good coach. I think those three would restore our Piston pride.

After I have typed this, I now realize that my saying hiring Zeke goes against my axiom of hiring proven, best coaches. :pound::pound: Oh well. I love my bad boys.

3. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

Very interesting input, I agree. But there's also that the fact that Flip Saunders was already hired well into the season, as Eddie Jordan also was hired before the finals.

Flip Saunders in April 14, 2009.

Eddie Jordan in June 1, 2009.

4. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

He probably got an offer. If the offer hadn't come, he'd probably still be coaching Shock.

5. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I for one would prefer that he proved that with the Pistons and not as a Minnesota Grizzlies Thundercats or whatever coach.

Laimbeer can be a good teacher. It could be a good situation for Laimbeer if the Pistons gave him a young roster to mold. Trade Rip & Tay for younger bigs and have Laimbeer at the helm. I think Laimbeer is capable of growing young players to more than what they are.

Who knows, he may even unleash Amir. :sssh:

6. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

In Laimbeer's press conference, he said that he had contemplating leaving for the past six months, and should have done it then instead of letting three games elapse before throwing in the towel.

Basically said that he needs to concentrate on the NBA and be available for it even though he doesn't have an offer.....yeah right..

7. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I think the timing is as perfect as it will ever be.

Laimbeer is a strong personality who will have a golden opportunity to put HIS stamp on a young team. The last few seasons, the Pistons haven't had an identity. They most CERTAINLY will with a guy like Bill. With most of the "big personalities" that made up the old core gone or on their way out, this is a good time to build a new mentality for the franchise with it's younger players and new aquasitions.

Sure, Bill doesn't have the NBA coaching experience of some of the other re-treads that are available right now. But his "experience" playing for Chuck Daily and being the vocal leader of the Bad Boy era Pistons (not to mention getting some Xs & Os experience with the Shock) make him way more than qualified to succeed.

8. LA Dre

I agree BDL, some coaches got their first head coaching job with less NBA experience than either Bill or Curry, so IMO Bill is ready to coach whether it is with the Pistons or some other NBA team.

Vinny del Negro never coached an NBA game before being handed the Bulls job this past season. (and won more games than Curry). Pat Riley had only one year of assistant coaching experience before taking over for the Lakers in the 81-82 season and they won the ring that year.

It's all about trust and respect between the coaches and players that lead to success and I think that even though Curry has a year on Laims as it relates to dealing with Piston personnel issues, he could probably still do a better job in next season's rebuilding effort.

9. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

Wow, this thought I should probably hold to myself because it aint gonna be popular. But I have never been one to hold my views to myself. :MusicBigGrin:

Ok, here goes. :gun1::gun1::gun1::gun1::gun1:

I gotta get my dukes up cause a few of you are going to burst a blood vessel. Here goes. I will throw it out there and run for cover. :pound::swords::swords::swords::swords::scared: :scared::boxing: :boxing::boxing: :bolt::bolt::argue::argue::rant::rant::boink::boink::mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :wedgie::shootingsoldier::shootingsoldier::shootingsoldier::starwars:

It appears to me that Laimbeer quit on his team. That's cold what he did to the Shock. He stiffed his own team. I would be ticked if my coach threw my team under the bus the moment the season starts. Ouch.

10. detteam

detteam All-Star

How did he throw them under the bus? I think Horn is more than capable of handling the Shock.

11. LA Dre

I think the team knew where his head has been and this day would eventually come and they are probably fine with Mahorn taking over.

Now if only Curry would quit now and to see how many of us would be ticked off...:sssh:

12. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I am hoping that will happen. Or it could be the he has another job opening.

13. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

First, the Cavs are pitching for Shaq...Now they'll go for Laimbeer as their Head coach. The Owner will do this...:stirthepot:

14. hlbimage

hlbimage First Round Draft Pick

I can see the irony there if Laimbeer coaches the Cavs just to stick it into Joe D. :gun1:

15. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

That fits with Bill waiting until after the NBA finals to leave the Shock.

The Cavs may have waiting to see if they lost to the eventual Champion or if they took a step back from previous years by losing to a team that wouldn't have beaten a Boston team with KG.

16. theWORM

theWORM First Round Draft Pick

- Phil Jackson on the Pistons sideline? Not in a million years.
    - Joe supposedly 'reached out' to Avery who did not want the job.
    - Not sure whether we had chance to hire Nate.
    - JVG has been unofficially banned by Mister Stern.
    - I would love to see Laimbeer on the sidelines, but agree with BDL that the timing was not right in the past, but is great now as Joe starts to zone in on a roster to take us into the next 4-5 years.

There is this great misconception that you simply offer a coach a contract (and as you suggest, an owner's attractive daughter) and they will invariably agree. Witness Rambis essentially turning down Sac-town's offer. Who did they end up with? Paul Westphal. In other words, there is a dire shortage of Larry Brown clones going around, and even less of the kind that have been genetically modified to have the 'loyalty gene' included, and the 'PITA' (high maintenance) gene removed.

At the times of the hirings, Flipper and Curry both made sense. Post LB, the league was implenting rule changes that poses a considerable advantage to teams that emphasised offense. Enter Saunders, who had a well-earned rep as creative and gifted offesnively minded coach. Post Saunders, the team was broke and needed time to be rebuilt, so in the MEANTIME, why cough up a MEGADOLLARS to entice a top tier coach, never mind the fact that there were few to none available? Save the money instead for players in the summer of '09 and '10 and roll the dice on a character guy with an impeccably poor taste in clothing.

In HINDSIGHT, neither hire was a good one. But things ALWAYS seem so much more obvious with hindsight. Indeed, Trader Jack had no good reason to hire Daddy Rich (weep), given his dismal record in Cleveland, other than they both shared a 'coalminer' mentality. In hindsight it reads like genius, but at the time the media and fans were all asking, "Who the %$^* is Chuck Daly?"

17. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Agree. If he knew he wanted to leave he should have done so after the end of last season not a couple of games into this one. That kind of judgment could make some NBA folks hesitate.

18. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

[​IMG]

I doubt it.

19. hlbimage

hlbimage First Round Draft Pick

There's a post on ESPN.COM "Anyone want a bad boy?" in the NBA rumors section. I don't have the "Insider" account so couldn't read more. Looks like Bill Laimbeer is shopping himself around instead of we thought he had an offer already. Either way it's kinda weird don't ya think?

20. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Seems likely to me most GMs have some doubts about him to start with - or else he would have an NBA job by now. Starting with the Pistons.