Larry Brown fired; Isiah named new coach

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by ggazoo69, Jun 22, 2006.

1. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

2. ggazoo69

If Zeke is going to be the coach, I think he should relinquish the president/general manager role although he should have input. That's too much control.

Hey, maybe Joe should bring in Larry as a "consultant" a la Ronny Rothstein?
  3. Griffin

Griffin First Round Draft Pick

:laugh:

or is it:

:confused:

no, wait...i think its:

:boom:
  4. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Is NY too impatient? Yeah they sucked but my impression was that LB had to break em down to build them back up. Its a 2 season process.

How is Isiah as a coach? I thought they did pretty good under isiah but I don't follow the pacers all that closely.
  5. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

I'm sorry, but it is really hard for me to have any respect for Larry Brown. He has become a cartoon character.

I'm really rooting for Isiah in this one. If he can somehow return the Knicks to respectability through coaching perhaps his post NBA career perception might improve. There is nothing like watching your childhood favorite player become the laughing stock of the league. It's disheartening. Come on Isiah, make something happen this year and make the Larry firing appear like a smart move. Otherwise, this will be yet another example of Isiah wearing egg on his face. :ohwell:

BTW, Zeke did pretty decent as the coach of the Pacers but received criticism because he did not match the success of the Larry Bird coached Pacers team that had just gone to the NBA Finals prior to tenure. Zeke cited the development of new players and a new system as reasons why the team struggled, but the owner of the Pacers apparently was not too convinced.
  6. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

If Isiah wanted to coach why did he hire LB in the first place? Anyone with an IQ over 40 knew that wouldn't work. What a failure that was by Isiah...a very bad decision.
  7. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

I don't think he did. I think he just thought that Larry would solve all of his problems. Zeke ignored Larry's past. Now he looks ridiculous again and Larry looks like the biggest Hustler in the history of basketball. I wonder if Larry will find another sucker? I wouldn't bet against it.
  8. Caliban

Caliban First Round Draft Pick

Well, if Zeke uses the same acumen in coaching as he did in securing the services of lb. for lb., the transition will be very smooth, and the middle legacy will continue.:pound:
  9. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

If Isiah doesn't have the Knicks playing at least .500 ball by the All-Star break I say he should bring Lenny Wilkens back. Remember the Yankees had a great deal of success by repeatedly bringing back Billy Martin.
  10. Caliban

Caliban First Round Draft Pick

I can just see Larry in a pair of short shorts bending over the side of a car and discussing price with the next NBA John.:redface:
  11. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

At least the Knicks will have a coach who can put some fear into any player who is causing trouble. No longer will overpaid former all-stars be able to play the coach against the front office. Isiah will be able to hand out swift and severe punishments, anything from (a) benching guys to (b) shipping them off to the worst team in the league. (Well, maybe not part b.)
  12. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

The blog True Hoop quotes the following from ESPN's Chris Sheridan, and wonders if Larry wasn't trying to force Isiah out:

13. ggazoo69

LanierFan: I guess if Brown had just stuck to coaching, he would have been a lot better off. I don't doubt it for a second that ol' Lar was working behind the scenes. He's done it before.
  14. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Maybe he was playing "Good Cop, Bad Cop". Let LB coach for a season (bad cop) so the team can experience hell on earth, then Isiah rides in on his white horse (good cop) to save them.
  15. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Look for LB's agent to call Joe to see if old man Bill would consider him for the assistant's coaches job.... HAHA:eyebrows: after all he has already been paid for it.....
  16. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

This could be Zeke's last stand also... who's he gonna blame if things stay the same.
  17. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Sweet, we are saved!

So long Flip! :fingerscr
  18. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

LB, the Terrell Owens of coaching, all world talent, all world cancer, all world a-hole.

read this quote: "Citing a clause in Brown's contract that requires him to follow club policy, the Knicks will seek arbitration with Stern. They believe he acted beyond the perameters of his coaching position in attempting to make trades and also violated media policy by talking to reporters outside the presence of a team public relations person."

Looks like they told Brown to do stuff, he refused, ergo fired, we don't owe you a cent. wonder how Stern will handle this, and how this will stand in court. $40 mil on the line
  19. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

It's never as simple as that 16. The Knicks feel they are right, and for sure LB will think that he is right, so welcome to arbitration. There is no way that Stern shames an icon any more than he has shamed himself.

Some common ground and type of settlement will be reached.
  20. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Especially when Isiah and the Knicks are such easy escape goats.:doh: