Larry Brown, Pop the weasel..

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by G-man, Jun 22, 2006.

1. max

max All-Star

I would pay to see that.

LB will coach again if he wants to. If we wanted to isolate the young guys and return to the post-season with the same core 7 LB could have done that as well. And been able to make in-game adjustments a bit faster than 2 tectonic plates rubbing together.

One bad year does not wipe out 30 years of success but I think its safe to say that he will never see a deal past 2-3 years again.

2. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Was just watching a piece on LB during the ABA days... all of the stereotypes went out the window...
    He was a Hippy... long hair with wild cloths (as a coach).
    Him and Doug Mo were best friends (coached and played together)...
    they were talking about after games the two teams would go out partying together with the refs...
    Larry was a pioneer with his style of play... hard trapping with innovative offensive schemes (constant movement).... the league had never seen this before.
    Doug Mo always had high scoring teams (Nuggets) while Larry became a defensive oriented coach....
    We need to morph LB & Flip.

3. detteam

detteam All-Star

Does Flip really warrant that virtual pairing?

4. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Friendly note to mods, you might want to combine this thread with the LB fired thread.

5. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

BTW,
    Brown may not really want this to go to court, $40 mil is a lot of money, but if his behind the scene behaviour as a Knick's coach becomes public, I doubt another team would ever hire him again, and two, his all important image would take an absolute dive.

6. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

7. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I thought Mitch's piece was like everything else he writes.

Pure garbage. He's the most juvenile, moronic columnist in Detroit, and with stiff competition from Terry Foster and Rob Parker, that's saying a lot.

9. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Don't tell me you still have love for LB... :)

10. roscoe36

None. I just think Mitch Albom is a crap writer.

11. G-man

G-man Starter

It's true that the Knicks have nudged Zeke up onto the stool, have him tightening his own noose around his neck. Buuuuut - he would have to be a complete b-ball moron not to win more than the 23 games Brown delivered this season.

If you have to follow someone else to the gallows, it's a pretty good bet the first guy up puts some extra stretch in the rope. These guys have to show more motivation under Zeke or they'll all look like a classic gaggle of packing nimrods. They'll validate themselves as almost the total problem, (as opposed to Brown having sucked up all the media light). Now that would screw Zeke.

I think they know it's in their best interest individually and collectively to turn a career corner. Zeke steps in and wins 40 games he's a genius after what just transpired. (Something they should have done this year anyway.)

It wasn't all wine & roses for him the last couple years. His final NBA GM days are rapidly racing toward a concrete wall. Maybe as Coach he takes them into a first round loss next April and he actually resurrects his NBA coaching career!

He's got more bounce per ounce than a superball....

12. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

That's an excellent point G-man... maybe the bar is set fairly low.
    OTOH, will Zeke get these individual talents to play the "team game" better than LB?... say whatcha want about LB but he insisted on sharing the ball... there's gonna be some unhappy campers when Starbury & Franchise play their own game.... especially guys that are looking for their next contract.
    I'm sure Isiah picked up a few coaching tricks from Larry... but you're right 24+ W's and he's improved the team.

13. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

All I can say is wow. Just read in the Washington Times that Gilbert Arenas may opt out of his contract in 2008. Seems the selfish SOB doesn`t think the Wiz are headed in the right direction and Eddie Jordan wasn`t offered a contract extension.

Eddie Jordan is a decent coach and Arenas is a great talent, it`s his personality that`s digusting. He wants the Wiz owner (Abe Pollin) to build a championship caliber team around him, he feels at 24 he is one of the up and coming stars of the league and wants a shot at a title.

Nothing wrong with that, but here is the kicker, LB is rumored to perhaps replace Eddie Jordan!! If that`s why Arenas wants to bolt he is not as dumb as I think he is, because him and LB would be some pair!!!

14. himat

himat Bench Warmer

:laugh:i'd love to see that. I don't think that will happen though. We'll either see him in Charlotte or nowhere.

15. roscoe36

Folks know me as a big LB defender, but this is just my honest take.

Make LB the GM and coach. He wants to control personnel, he wants to coach. Give him both. Then no more front office conflicts.

And based upon his recent track record, build incentives into a lucrative deal with stiff penalties for early termination by either party.

PERIOD.

Lots of people think LB is crazy and he probably is a little, but he did wonders with a team that only had AI and Mutumbo. Who the hell remember George Lynch, or Eric Snow as a championship contending PG? Aaron McKie? PULEEZE.

But he is the guy who worked with Billy King to draft Larry Hughes, Samuel Dalembert, Speedy Claxton, Todd MacCulloch (a Canadian legend like Bill Wennington) and discovered Raja Bell.

Look at what Billy King has done since. He drafted AI2, that's it. The team is heading backwards.

Maybe LB ends up being a terrible GM, but he's got the insane genius thing going on, and his contacts in college and the pros are probably second to none.

Washington should consider this.

16. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

No way LB gets the GM job with the Wiz, Ernie Grunfeld has that job under lock and key, they love him here. Now coach? Who knows, but dumping Eddie Jordan right now would be very unpopular, however, so was dumping MJ.

17. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

LB please retire. You are nauseating. :mad: