Las Vegas Summer League 2010

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by det2atl, Jun 19, 2010.

1. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

I want Monroe playing a lot more than 20 minutes a night. It's about time the Pistons stopped babying their young players. If Monroe earns it, there's no reason why he shouldn't be playing the most minutes of our front court players. If he's playing behind CV and sharing minutes with the likes of Max, I'm not gonna be happy.
  2. MJO77

MJO77 First Round Draft Pick

I think those numbers are pretty realistic. Except the FG%. That's like Yi Jianlian bad.
  3. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

You guys just won't learn.
    As a rook GM will rarely touch the ball.
    Maybe they'll let him rebound and play defense.
    2 min a game straight-up garbage.
    Remember we don't want no team to get him after 3 yr.
  4. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Well, if you average summer league numbers together with regular season, they might be bearable
  5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Unlike Darko, GM has game.
  6. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Never learn. Darko was never coached properly and weren't given proper minutes. That's what he said.
    :hoops:
  7. linwood

linwood All-Star

Darko has wicked game. Did you see the contract he just signed?
  8. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Rip and Tay on this team screw up everything. To give the primadonna vets their minutes we're going to play small ball, this will effect GM negatively in 2 ways: (1)Low minutes and (2)Playing out of position at the 5. I'm guessing
    About 6.5-7ppg
    4.5-5 rpg
    2apg.
  9. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Monroe will START every game barring injury to him. He will get STARTERS minutes.

I am down with him getting 25+ mintes a game 14 - 16 ppg, 10 bounds 3.0 assists.

You guys are being ultra conservative. Come on now, we are talking #7 draft pick with game.
  10. Brap

Brap Starter

My concern with the Pistons this season and for the future is their ability to defend. I think a huge key for us will be Ben Wallace and Kandor working with Monroe. He needs to get stronger so he can hold his position defensively. I also assume that he'll develop more agility as well. (Kandor says that is something that can definitely be improved in a player). He'll never be a high flier, but he appears like a guy who really knows how to play. For him to be a guy I'd consider a great pro, he's going to have to be an intelligent hard working defender. I'm not certain he will be, but we need him to be.

On offense, I have no questions about Monroe. He should turn out to be a terrific all-around threat -- just a great asset on offense.

I don't know what our roster will finally look like this season, but right now, if we don't make moves, it's likely that we'll be a team which has almost no ability to defend the paint. The Pistons are going to have to surround Monroe with other big men who dominate the paint. But that's not going to happen this season in all liklihood. And IMO that means we're going to lose a lot of games.
  11. Brap

Brap Starter

White is an interesting prospect. Although he has excellent size strength and super athleticism, he plays so under control that those athletic gifts don't shine very often. That's intriguing to me. Is that simply because White isn't hustling all the time, or is it that he's trying to play the "right" way? Is this just him being deferential?

Where does that leave me with him? It leaves me firmly in the "I really don't know what to predict about White" camp. I guess I see him as a guy who really needs to be coachable.
  12. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I really like White despite the fact that at this point he's not a PG. Where every other guard was out to show off his stuff, White seemed to try to pick his moments while doing his best to run the offense. When playing off the ball, he showed great control and nifty passing.

As for Monroe, I'd be estatic if he reached Bosh-like numbers as a rookie. I'd go for S.J.'s numbers as a bit more realistic.
  13. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I can't tell what position Monroe should play. I hate to say it, but I see him more as a 5 after watching him (I only saw the first 3 games) this summer. I hope I am wrong.

If he plays mostly the 5 then he'll never hit 33 minutes a games because of fouls. Honestly, if he plays that many minutes the Pistons might make the Warriors look like the '04 Pistons.

I don't think he'll get 11 some odd points per game either. If he averaged that for 1/4 of a season he'd be exhausted from fighting "the strength of the team" for the ball.

He can exceed Bosh's FT% and assists (barely).

It was nice to see him put up #'s yesterday. Wish I could have seen it.
  14. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

That's a fair estimate. By low, I am assuming something in the neighborhood of <20 minutes and most definitely he will be out of his natural position at the 4 spot. Still, it will be a nice introduction for him.
  15. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Be prepared to be unhappy.
  16. Brap

Brap Starter

The thing that excites me about Monroe is his great skill level, and projecting him with his "man strength" body which we'll really start to see in two or three seasons. When he's strong enough to hold his position and thus defend without hacking, I think he might turn into a true center. Bill Laimbeer did prove that you can have a great defense without a high flying center. But the Pistons did surround him with Rodman and Sally at the PF, and we were one of the great defensive teams of all time with that configuration.

That's what I'm hoping for anyway - Monroe being smart enough and hardworking enough to turn into the center on a championship caliber defense.
  17. roscoe36

Monroe is only 20. As long as he works hard and stays healthy, he could be a real nice piece for the franchise.
  18. roscoe36

He plays excellent positional defense and doesn't defend with his hands.

He showed yesterday that while he may not have the three point shot, he does have a face up game all the way out to the 3 point line. If he starts, I don't see how he doesn't score 11 ppg even at center.
  19. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I am not bashing nor doubting Monroe's ability when I said these things. If he plays center he will have trouble. How many 5's played more than 33 mpg in the L last year, let alone a rookie.

Bigs depend on smalls to score. It is not the bigs I am doubting.
  20. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

The problem I have with Monroe is that he will be defended by players with a lot much more of body on him.. and length.. and jump. So, Until he discover a way to score properly (maybe in 2 o 3 years..) his FG% will be low.

He won'7 catch 10 rebounds per game in his first season, remember he will be playing the C position most of the time, He will be boxed out with ease by many many Centers in the league and his lack of a vertical jump will keep him out of catch 10 rebounds in his first year.

No doubt He will be close to 10 rebounds (or maybe 11) in his second or third season.

I can't wait until this season begins!!!!