Latest Lineup Changes

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Pwn Toney, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

He will help meet the quota....:)
  2. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Not so great after the first quarter... missed 9 of his last 10 shots.
  3. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Agreed.
  4. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

In case you haven't noticed, that's Rodney Stuckey. Look the guy just isn't a great basketball player, he's a bad PG and a mediocore SG. With that said I think the current lineup will work.
    1. On this team T-Mac is the best PG/Facilitator.
    2. Ben Gordon is at his best as a SG coming off the bench who plays starters minutes, i.e.30+mpg
    3. Stuckey starts pretty good in the 1st qtr of basketball games and fades down the stretch as the game goes on, no knock on the guy, he just is what he is.
    I think this 3 guard rotation takes advantage of everybody's strengths and puts guys in position to win. With BG coming off the bench at SG you need a combo guard and PG who can guard bigger 2's.

Monroe has came in and flat out EARNED the starting PF or C spot, this young man is looking more and more impressive, and this crow I'm eating is starting to give me gas.
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It's easy to convince yourself that there is some combination that the coach hasn't tried that would be magical. However, reality would probably be disappointing.

Overall, Kuester has been incredibly experimental and has done things that no previous coaches on the Pistons had the guts to do. He's bringing guys off the bench, he's sitting guys in crunch time, he's sticking rooks and young players in overtime situations, etc. Also, Kuester diffused a lot of tension when he showed some humility and expressed to the media that he doesn't pretend to know the the answers and that the team has an open communication policy. i.e., if you have a good idea, speak up in the locker room... RIP and TAY.

Kuester has a half baked roster that is a failed re-tool. Now, it's hopefully going to get blown up and his job will mainly be to develop. If he's really from the LB school, then he should be a good coach for the next 2 years.
  6. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

What's missing is a a guy (or guys) who can avg 20+ ppg over 82 games. As Piston fans we've always had this little thing about how player X is so unselfish and could avg 20ppg on any other team.........BULL! Guys who can avg 20, avg 20! We have 14-18ppg scorers who go off for 20-25+ on any given night, but we don't have that player who can score 20 EVERY NIGHT! Tonight Zac showed us how special 20/10 guys are, you can count on the 20/10 EVERY NIGHT and on those special nights they give you 30-35 and 15-20.
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'll try to make you feel better: He's has 5 double digit scoring games in his entire career and his high is 16 points. These are some of the weakest double doubles imaginable.

Overall, he's 11th on the team in points per minute... just in front of Maxiell and Ben Wallace. TMac has blocked more shots this year than Monroe. Monroe and Stuckey are basically tied for dead last on the team in eFG%. He's shooting .549 from the FT line. He's -117 on the year (compared to +16 for Wilcox).

His best qualities so far are that he's snagging boards at a pace just under Ben Wallace's pace and he's getting a lot of steals for a big man.
  8. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

You gotta see him play. Take those same stats over the last 10-15 games and see what you get, over the last 4..........VERY IMPRESSIVE!
  9. copper

copper Bench Warmer

gotta start somewhere, and how long has it been since weve had a double double big man? heck Ill be happy with 10/10 at this point. He looks to be gaining confidence and gaining confidence with every outting. and once we get jj back to start at pf along side him we should shore up some rebounds. with Monroe and JJ cutting and flashing to the paint we'll get some easy baskets and we'll see the assists go up. Right now gm is the only one I see ever cut to the hoop off the screen or flash to the hoop while everyone else stands around while tay or stuck or bg go one on one. Hard to get assists when no one is open to pass to.
  10. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

True Dat!

Whoa! Hold your horses.
    1. We don't know what JJ will look like upon returning from injury
    2. We still don't know if he's better suited as a PF or SF.
    3. I say with our cap space we get with Tay's expiring and hopefully Murphy's expiring, we somehow sign Zac Randolph to start at PF and have JJ as our backup SF AND backup PF while we send CV packing!
  11. copper

copper Bench Warmer

12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

These are about the only games that I have watched.

In the last 4 games, his stats look like this:

134 minutes (33.5 mpg)
    13.5 points per game (54% from the field, 67% from the FT line)
    11.5 rebounds per game
    3 assists total
    9 steals!
    1 blocked shot total
    +/- was -17

We're obviously looking at 4 out of 5 of the best games of his career and it looks nice... but not shockingly so. The steals are great and the rebounds add up, but I'm still a little skeptical.

The passing is absent. The blocks are non existent. He's staying on the floor because he's not fouling, but is he protecting the paint at all? The -17 is below most other players on the team over this stretch.

I'll take double doubles from anybody on the roster, but I just want to keep this in perspective. Kevin Love has about 46 straight double doubles, 6 20-20 games, and a monster 40-30 game this year, and there is a decent chance that he doesn't even make the all-star game.
  13. copper

copper Bench Warmer

His steals are his blocks, or most of them anyway, he does the old laimbeer swat when his opponent turns to address the hoop, like laim used to say, why jump when he'll turn and show it to me? and yes the numbers are a little off because we are judging 4-5 best games so far...but is it a coincidence that they also happen to be when he is getting regular pt and he is gaining confidence? I dont think anyone is gonna mistake him for a leaper...EVER. But with time as he gets more comfortable and the coaches and teammates get comfortable with him, I can see them running the offense through the high post with him and then we'll see his assists go up
  14. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yep. I was also thinking last night that it would be nice if he looked every now and then like he was invested in the game. His calm, cool demeanor thing is starting to bug me. Zach got mad last night and took the game. I'd like to see Monroe get riled about something.
  15. coynejeremy

Yeah, but to be fair, you could say the same about Tim Duncan's demeanor for the past 50 years he's been playing in the NBA.
  16. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

But he's clearly good. Besides, every now and then he grasps the ball firmly in two hands and pounds it against his head. That's pretty outré for Timmy.
  17. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I haven't seen this smile yet:

[​IMG]
  18. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Let me put it this way. IMO only, if BG had been given the same treatment as Stuckey (read: being given all the minutes he wanted and allowed to stay on the floor no matter how poorly he played at times), Gordon would be playing to the level that he was in CHI. But, Gordon has been treated more like Daye (being left out of the rotation indiscriminately for no good reason for games at a time) than like Stuckey.

For the money we are paying him, that makes no sense at all. CV has at least been allowed to lose his position by playing poorly for long stretches and leaving no doubt in anyone's mind. But, Gordon has been on an extremely short leash since he got here.
  19. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

This is the same look Rodney Stuckey has on his face in the 4th Q.
  20. coynejeremy

I'm just saying I don't think that there is any strong causal link between level of "good" and in-game demeanor.