1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Latest Lineup Changes

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Pwn Toney, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I would give up Stuckey and Rip to get AA back. However, this assumes we retain TMac as the PG next year. If not, the only PG we'll have on the roster would be Will Bynum.

2. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I would too!
    I've really watched him this year and Spellcheck has really turned the corner. He's never going to be a dude that blows your mind with highlights or outragous stat lines but he really helps his team win simply by playing the right way.

3. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Count me in this club, AA's free agency is one of a few reasons I'd let Stuckey walk, I think you can sign AA (6'5" SG who can shoot- and defend) for about $4-$6M this summer and he'd be worth EVERY PENNY! Because of those idiots in Memphis giving Mike Conley a $42M extension, the cost of Stuckey is going to be at LEAST that much and $8M+ is too much to pay for Stuckey (a 6'5" SG who can't shoot) IMO.

4. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Yup, you could then run AA as the token starter with Gordon subbing in.

The Pistons should just go ahead and burn down The Palace if they're going to pay Stuckey that.

5. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

YES!!!!! EXACTLY And Spell-check would THRIVE in that role!

6. Walter

I wonder if Stuckey played under Billups' wings for a couple of seasons he would've turned the corner too. :stirthepot:

7. Brap

Brap Starter

8. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

PER handles defense very poorly and as I've understood from the buzz here that's one of AA's strengths.

I'd also give up Stuck and Rip for AA but only because it means we get rid of Rip.

9. Walter

Afflalo is a better shooter than Stuckey. He's one hell of a better defender than Stuckey. He's cheaper than Stuckey. A lot more bang for the buck.

Afflalo can't play PG. But he's a better SG than Stuckey. As a matter of fact, he's a better SG than any of the SGs we have on the team.

10. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Based on what I've seen from watching BOTH players on a regular basis; Spellcheck is a better basketball player than Rodney Stuckey.

...Higher B-Ball IQ
    ...more versatile
    ...better defender
    ...better shooter
    ...better rebounder
    ...better teammate

11. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Okay then, tell me all the players that are available that can "easily" replace Stuckey. Don't tell me a problem without offering a solution. I want a list of players that we can give us what Stuckey does, since you think he's so easily replaceable. And don't tell me we're going to get replacement that late in the first round of this draft, because we aren't. This draft is awful.

And if we can resign Stuckey for 4-6 million, that is an absolute bargain. I mean, we pay Will Bynum 3 million a year and our two shooting guards who are both notably worse than Stuckey in excess of 10 million a year. Joe is an idiot if he doesn't resign Stuckey for that little.

12. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Anthony Goldwire, Horace Jenkins, Tony Delk, Ronald Murray etc.

13. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Arron Afflalo, Corey Brewer, Rufus Henry........

14. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Gordon has not proven to be that at all in Detroit, just like Stuckey has not proven to be a successful point guard. I wouldn't hold out hope that he ever rediscovers that either. Even if he does, at his size and relative inability to contribute in other areas of the game, he's best suited off the bench.

I find it funny that we need to come up with all of these "creative" ways to get Gordon going, and none of them have worked. Stuckey has remained productive no matter where he's played or what position he plays. It's funny how much we have to cater to a guy we're paying 10 million a year.

Maybe Ben Gordon just isn't any good? He was never that great to begin with. He was a scorer and nothing else in Chicago.

15. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

How can you quantify him being a better teammate than Stuckey? Stuckey does everything that is asked of him, plays hard and plays through injuries. Seems to me like Stuckey is a pretty good teammate.

I like Afflalo, but let's be real here. He has a lot less offensive responsibility than Stuckey shoulders. AND he's playing with a lot better players around him and a better head coach. Afflalo is in a perfect situation compared to what Stuckey is in. That is not debatable.

Afflalo is a solid player, but I think if you tried to turn him into more than a role player, you would get what you got with Trevor Ariza when he signed with Houston. The results were not pretty.

16. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

I'm assuming you're being facetious here with those two, but Afflalo wouldn't look half as good here in Detroit, especially if you gave him Stuckey's role. Afflalo is a good shooter and good defender, but if you asked him to create his own offense, his efficiency would take a nose dive. And unlike Stuckey, he won't compensate for it by getting to the foul line.

17. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Whatever. Catered to? Are you frikking serious! He's the one guy who has not been catered to in the midst of all this bafoonery. Getting our SG a player who can actually pass him the ball on-time/on-target is not asking for much. When T-Mac and Gordon have started together the results have been good, but we haven't seen it enough to know if it's legit or fool's gold, what do you have against finding out? Are you that protective over Stuckey. The more I type/think I realize that Rodney Stuckey has to be the best defensive guard in the entire NBA, he's managed to marginalize the games of Rip and Ben Gordon until they play the worse b-ball of their career. Now I will admit for as much as Ben Gordon is getting paid he needs to pay better, A LOT BETTER, I mean a WHOLE LOT BETTER, but if the key to that is to pair him more with T-Mac (the only guard on our roster who seems capable of making an on-time/on-target pass) then for goodness sake what's wrong with trying it if it'll get Ben G back to avg'ing 20ppg, Stuckey has proven that he's going to max out at about 16.5ppg no matter where he plays, how much he plays or who he plays with.

18. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Pistonpowered.com has a good look at Gordon's struggles:

Why Wins Produced undervalues both Ben Gordon’s past and upside – PistonPowered

19. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I gotta agree with 2Tough on this one. I'd like to be wrong, but I suspect AA is thriving with a great veteran point guard in Billups and a superstar small forward in Carmelo. He's playing his role perfectly, and I like the guy, but I'm not sure I buy that he could produce like he is on this team as currently constituted.

20. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Gordon is a player that creates for himself, and he's always been that way. He's never been a guy cutting and getting open off the ball and raising up for easy shots like Hamilton, or a standstill shooter at the three point line. He's always had a habit of dribbling before taking his shot and he often dribbles himself into a much tougher shot. That ISN'T on the point guard. That's on Gordon, not Stuckey, Bynum or whoever.

I buy Hamilton needing a point guard and his lack of success the last couple years due to him not having that. But I don't buy that for Gordon. He's never been point guard defended. He played many years with Heinrich in Chicago and he was successful, and Heinrich is as much of a point guard as Stuckey.

And FTR, I'll take Stuckey's 17 points/good defense/good play-making at the two over the one dimensional Gordon any day. And that's the Chicago Gordon I'm talking about. The one we got is like 0.5 dimensional, if that.