Latest On The Josh Smith Trade

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I think we should give Herrmann a chance to start at PF if a trade goes down. Put McDyess back on the bench. Josh Smith start at SF.
  2. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

My point was, it has been a while........
  3. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

This is sort of my point when i say Amir/Tay is too much. I am a HUGE fan of Smith. I adore him; love his defense; love the athleticism. However, he is best suited to play on a running team. We are not a running team. If it were a fairly even or slightly tilted trade, I'd say forget the possible problem and go for it, Smith is way too talented to pass up.

Now if the trade is hugely in favor of the other team Tay/Amir or Tay/Amir + taking on Speedy, you have to analyze it closer. Will he be successful at SF? If not, then what? Rip at SF? Would that even work? His half-court offense is really bad, he barely has any semblance of an outside shot, although he has shown himself to be a threat. Is his defense alone worth it? How much will he improve?

It's a difficult decision.
  4. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

IMO, YES..............

What were we getting from Tay on offense?

Josh Smith may be a better defensive player that Tay.
  5. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

He probably is, but is his defense worth Tay and Amir?
  6. detteam

detteam All-Star

My vote is "YES" given both his offensive upside and his D.
  7. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

Hes for sure worth Tay and Amir's 10-15 mpg (being 3rd on the PF depth chart and all).

I'm probably just not as high on Amir as some people here, because i'd make this move without hesitation.
  8. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

What i'm hoping is the longer the stalemate lasts, the lower the Hawks price will go. If he's going to take the QO, and bolt, they're better off getting something back while they can.

If there's one thing Joe's shown he can do it's be patient.
  9. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Welcome bmill.

I'm just not feeling Rip as a SF. IMO, we'd be giving up too much at the 3 against most teams and would put our best shooter in foul trouble almost every night.
  10. Mahorn4ever

Mahorn4ever Second Round Draft Pick

Amir and Prince for Josh Smith, if his salary starts at 10 million, I think is a good deal. I am Amir fan, and I hate too see he getting minutes on other team. But we need a change, and Josh Smith , is young, and had better offensive skills than Prince. But If give up Amir , it need to get Smith, So Do it Joe .

Smith could Split his playtime at SF/Pf Position , and Herrman could had 20 minutes per night, at SF.

Smith is better to defend Lebron and Pierce. He could be use on KG too. This guy is very good shoot blocker, and he is young.
  11. odin

odin Second Round Draft Pick

Dont do it Joe! If Amir averaged the same minutes as Smith, he would have a higher rebound and bpg average and its not even close. I'll take Amir's potential at 3 mil per over Josh Smith at 12 mil per.

For a championship team, I would rather have Tayshaun than Smith as well. Smooth is too much flash and not enough substance.
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I gotta agree with this. We could just play Amir and it would be like getting a new player for free. Even if Amir wasn't a part of this deal and the CBA would allow us to trade Smith for Tay, I'd still have to think about it. It's not clear that we would be a better team next season with Smith instead of Tay. Maybe we would and maybe we wouldn't.
  13. detteam

detteam All-Star

Nothing is "free"...especially a $3.7M/year personal foul magnet.

I agree on this point, but I'm dissatisfied with Tay enough to take that chance.
  14. odin

Amir's fouling 'problem' is way overblown because of his summer league. His fouls during the regular season were not outrageous and I think its fair to assume that they will go down with more playing time. I can't think of a single established player with some experience that has a problem with fouls.
  15. detteam

detteam All-Star

The guy's been summer ballin' for 4 years...FOUR YEARS

His 08 summer league was not encouraging. If he was 'all that' he shoulda been sitting the bench with Stuckey instead of racking up PF's.

I'm willing to cut the cord.
  16. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

No, the problem is real. I'm going to quote something I posted during this year's playoffs:
  17. odin

He only played one game last year and he was just a kid his first two. Sure, we were all expecting more from him this past summer league, but I've seen enough of him during the regular season to believe he can be a special player, at least on the defensive end. It was obvious to me that the team was better with him on the court and I'm sure +/- stats will show that.
  18. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

A bird in the Hand beats 2 in the Bush. I'm glad Joe knows that. A line up of Stuckey / Rip / Smith / Max & Whoever......Hmmmmm fun to watch, really fast up the court too......Smith will also help solve some of our rebounding woe's also, something that alot of forumites conviently keep forgetting about.
  19. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I don't understand how people make that judgement; b/w Flip's clear aversion to playing him, his sporadic minutes, and summer league, your ready to label him a non-stop fouling bust ? He's been playing for 4 years, but very little of it was in the actual NBA. And when he played last year, he produced. His fouling went down and his offensive skills got better. He improved the more time he got. Even Curry has pointed this out in exact wording.

Odin's right. His +/- numbers are through the roof (possibly best on the team). He was obviously making some sort of impact.

I understand the sentiment of wanting Smith and not really caring if Amir goes. Smith is the proven player, but Amir is far from a bust, and personally I'd like to be sure that Smith is going to fit first before giving away (excess) assets. I think his PO performance might be clouding the issue a little bit. I'm trying to recall more games outside of that, but unfortunately i didn't watch ATL that much last year.

His rebounding is a huge plus, but is he as effective there playing SF? And Smith wouldn't be coming off the bench which would mean he would be playing with Sheed/Chauncey; not exactly run and gunners.

It sucks. Any other combination and i would not be so hesitant. Supposedly the Hawks offered Brown their starting center position and Hermann is super awesome!! . . .
  20. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

lpgrl, lemme help you out......WE - ARE - GOING - TO - LOSE - SOME - BODY - in order to get somebody. Pretty Lady you're TOO ATTACHED, trades are gambles, and you're going to have to take a risk of losing a potential asset in order to take on an even bigger risk. Joe just might be one of the best at calculating these risks. The beauty of being loaded at that position with assets is that it affords you the chance to get a deal done down the road.