Latest On The Josh Smith Trade

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Jul 21, 2008.

1. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

LOL Hey! i'm not averse to losing players. I'm ready to drive Tay to the airport and pick up Smith. I'd just like it if Hermann or <if it's absolutely neccessary> Max was sitting next to him in this hypothetical scenario . . :)
  2. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Absolutely. Like someone said above, sometime you have to take a gamble. I'd gamble on Amir becoming a consistent regular contributor to our team with adequate playing time. It's going to be a wierd year anyway with a new coach, good bad or indifferent. Let's roll the dice and see once and for all about Amir.
    Personally I think Amir is a sacred cow. You don't send someone away until you know for sure they can't help. Isn't that why we're keeping Hermann?

I'll be so disappointed to see Amir develop and play in another team's uni. May it not happen.
  3. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

The problem with that is once you know for sure, everyone else knows it as well. Good luck pulling off a Tay & Amir for Josh Smith trade after Amir gets a season of solid PT and comes out looking not so good, cause it won't happen after that.

The way I see it, "for sure" in most of our books is in our eyes to behold. The majority of us will likely not feel we know for sure about Amir until he gets a season of PT at the minimum. The rest will cling to the cup full of Amir Johnson kool-aid for years after that for various reasons.

Joe......should already pretty much know where Amir's career path will be. He has seen plenty of Amir to know what he can do and what he cannot do. If Amir isn't going to be the "guy" so many have been led to believe then Joe should be the first guy to know it, and take advantage of a trade including him before the rest of the league gets wise.
  4. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Then again....Joe thinks our starters are borderline demi-gods.

We can't trust his impressions of Amir anyway. He'll ride that horse until it's broken down and out in the pasture for a while.

Shortly thereafter he will figure out that his horse isn't moving, and trade him for a shiny new horn that he can put on a bicycle he hasn't bought yet. :)
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Regarding Amir's proclivity to foul...

He averaged 2.3 fouls per game last season. That means that we could have easily given him twice as much playing time without him having to worry about fouling out.

The detriments to fouling excessively are well known and I will admit that it would be nice if he could find a way to be as effective without the fouls.

However, he is extremely athletic and aggressive. His hyperactivity results in fouls, but also in several beneficial outcomes such as:
    • He draws more fouls per minute than either Sheed or Dyess.
    • He rebounds at an extemely high rate and so does the team when he is on the floor
    • The opponents' effective shooting % plummets from 50% to 42% while ours stays at 50%
    • Partly the reason for the point above, we block twice as many shots with him patroling the paint
    All of this adds up to actual point spreads in our favor and is a big reason why we had the best bench in the league last year. He has 1 glaring weakness right now, but he more than makes up for it. For a bench player who we need to contribute 15-20 mpg this coming season, we don't have to worry about him fouling out of games. The last thing that I want is for the coaches to take away his aggressiveness so that he only averages 1.5 fouls per game vs. 2.3 but doesn't block shots or get offensive boards. That would be short sighted.

If he eventually wants to graduate to a starter's role, then he will need to find a way to continue to be effective while reducing fouls. Some of that will come with experience, some with increased mass, and some with the respect of the referees.

Remember how foul prone Stuckey and Afflalo were before they adjusted?
  6. max

max All-Star

Yes, you have to give something to get something. I fear that if Amir was going to make it then he would have showed more by now. Besides with Kwame Brown joining Sheed and Dyess its going to be tough getting Amir decent mins. Crucial mins that he would need to develop.

Keep in mind that Josh Smith in only 1.5 years older than Amir. At 23 years old he is still far from reaching his potential. This is where the GM has to shine. If he thinks Josh has a couple of more gears left that could propell him into a franchise type players status then get it done. Do what it takes to bring him in. Even though it would cause some roster issues for next year we are talking about locking up a bright young star on a long term deal.

Guess it all depends on the evaluation of Smith and how much better he can get. This is where Dumars has to earn his paycheck.

On the plus side if something cannot get done. Smith said he wants to be a Piston so if ATL stalls on this then we can sign him next year. A lot can happen in a year though.

It is tough because the Pistons have not played a game in the past 4 years without Prince. Going to be a new ballgame if that deal goes down.
  7. Tha Locstah

Tha Locstah First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

And????? Isn't that what we want? I for one don't want to see the "same ol'" ballgame.
  8. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Sprocket Points penalize a player for fouls committed and AJ still leads the team in production per minute based on boards, blocks, high shooting percentage, etc.

What it doesn't take into account though is the other team getting to the bonus more quickly and the additional opponent points that might come there.

The Sprocket Points penalty is two times the league average free throw shooting percentage. Perhaps that should be strengthened since excess fouling also leads to a longer time with the other team shooting.
  9. max

max All-Star

10. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

We've already lost Jarvis. How much more can a team take in one year?
  11. max

max All-Star

Yes but he has been strategically replaced by Walter Sharpe.
  12. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA