Latest Pistons Rumors

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Mark V, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Mark V

Mark V Bench Warmer

Sad that the Pistons don't seem to be attracting any free agents. I'm just hoping they don't overpay for Josh Smith as a result of desperation. I'm hoping they add at least one big from FA though. As of right now we're painfully thin and undermanned on the front court.
  2. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

[​IMG]

How is that useless? Are you trying to make the argument that no plays are ever made in isolation? That there are never one on one matchups in the NBA? Obviously you have never heard of this guy called Carmelo Anthony. Opposing PER is actually a particularly useful stat when taken in context. But there are points per possession against data available from Synergy sports if that's what it will take to convince you.

There are no two ways about it, Monroe is a ok or bad defender on a bad defensive team. Smith is an extremely good defender on an average defensive team.

Just at centre, players matched up with Greg Monroe last year looked like Al Horford or Chris Bosh. Josh Smith made centres look like Dejuan Blair. That's a pretty big difference

And now you are just shifting the goalposts.

Don't think I am making the argument that Greg is a poor offensive player. He is in the top ten centres in the league on offense. But just remember who he played on the boards with last year most of the time. And if you are letting the guy you are defending get the same against you, then you are a net neutral.

Completely irrelevant. Remember how interested we were when Drummond was putting on a highlight reel mix of dunks and oops? The Pistons can't contend until they have some fans, because the money is pretty important if you want your owner to start spending.

But secondly, Josh Smith shoots better in the places where Monroe gets all his points. If you took out just the long twos from his offense (roughly 30% of his shots), he would would have a TS% closer to 60%
  3. Mark V

Mark V Bench Warmer

Calderon Update:

We've officially lost Calderon to FA as he signs a 4 year deal with the Mavs.

Hopefully, Mo Cheeks can develop Brandon Knight into a good PG. He has history of doing so I'm willing to bet on him.
    The Panda likes this.
  4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

$7 million per season isn't too bad, but I doubt JoeTom wanted to go 4 years for Jose.
  5. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

What does Joe do now? Roll with BK or pick up another (a) PG? Good options are looking pretty thin out there in free agency:
    Mo Williams (8.5m) - Probably not a good fit at this stage. Still wants to be the man, not a mentor.
    Jarrett Jack (5.4m) - Can play both guard positions, but not a great facilitator. Probably want him off the bench rather than a starter. He could still play 30 min off the bench and take some pressure off Knight having to be the man.
    Brandon Jennings (3.1m) - The Bucks have extended him his qualifying offer. We could make a play and see if they want to match. There have been rumours of fence-sitting about whether they want to keep him. I'm also on the fence about him. Can he get Monroe and others involved enough?
    Darren Collison (2.3m) - Very similar to BK. Would make for a small backcourt.
    Chauncey Billups (4m) - No longer starter material but could be nice to bring back for the vets minimum.

Others:
    Aaron Brooks
    D.J Augustin

I would probably make an offer to Jack for 1 or 2 years @ 4m per. A veteran presence would be constructive.
  6. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'd love to have Chauncey back in the D.
    S.J. likes this.
  7. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

Choice A...offer Mo Williams 2 years at 8 per....
    Choice B...offer Billups 2 years at 4 per...
    Choice C...current roster....:cold:
  8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I am not blaming anyone. I have just seen too many offseasons, and most of the significant moves happen in the first 3 days. As pieces are falling off the table (usually the most desirable ones) there are increasingly slimmer pickings.

I think people should probably start to dial their expectations down a little bit so they dont get all upset when we sign Unko Debunkalogo for 3 years @ $18 million and then add Darvin Ham to the coaching staff.
    LA Dre and brofmfa like this.
  9. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I am OK with Calderon leaving. He does not fit the style of play I'd like to see them play.

What's funny though is that it seems like every other team is wheeling and dealing when they're losing a player so they get something for him. Everything is a sign and trade but this one. The Pistons aren't signing anyone and they're just letting guys go for nothing.

Somehow this will end up Mo Cheeks fault.
    linwood and S.J. like this.
  10. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

The table is set and daddy didn't put out the good dishes. Looks like paper plates again.
  11. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

This is why we gave up a 1st rounder to get cap space this offseason.

With options running out, what about Kirilenko? Good D and shooting and we'll have AK47, JJ and Singler finally together. They have to guard JJ from deep since they don't know if it is AK47, Singler or him.
    linwood and Ernie the Slow Adult like this.
  12. raxrets

raxrets Starter

Remember this deal ben gordon + draft pick for capp spayce? The main justification from official mouth - Silvertongue - the table was set for good dishes.

Luckily, Silvertongue has manouvering room - maybe trade deadline can save Dumars' face.
  13. McQuack

McQuack Bench Warmer

I think Tyler Hansbrough is still available aswell.
  14. S.J.

S.J. Bench Warmer Forum Donor

lol!!!! Good one!

I think Dumars is playing it quietly.. waiting for teams to be really loaded with contracts and then he will be dealing something. The Pistons may be that team with a lot of cap space that everyone would want to give a call to unload some and get stuckey a CV expirings...
  15. Rocastle

Rocastle Bench Warmer

Jeff Teague is an RFA, might be worth a decent offer sheet, at least force Atlanta to match it.
  16. Ernie the Slow Adult

That sounds like work so I doubt it will happen.
  17. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

Ugh. Don't even make me think about that Ben Gordon trade, which is looking worse by the day.
  18. Ernie the Slow Adult

Jose Calderon agrees to four-year deal with Mavericks | The Detroit News
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

ak is actually sort of intriguing.
  20. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Well, on the flip side, with Calderon gone, our cap hold will be gone, so we can go after Josh Smith, right?