Latest Pistons Rumors

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Mark V, Jun 30, 2013.

1. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

CJ, can you change your profile status from Super Mod to Forum Jimmer Expert?

linwood and blueadams like this.
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Reddick was pretty maligned for a few years until he figured it out. Similar players in that they were incredible 3-point shooters in college with massive range.

The play would be to pick-up a cheap 3-point shooter for the bench. $2.6M for a guy that shoots over 40% from deep.

3. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

Not to be a dick-hole, but I keep clicking this thread hoping to see new Pistons rumors.. and it's been nothing but (he whose name shall not be mentioned) talk. Come on. Get a room/Start a thread.

4. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Right. Players I would have in front of Jimmer Fredette:
    -Wesley Matthews
    - Gordon Hayward
    -Nate Robinson
    -Mo Williams
    -CJ Watson
    -Dorell Wright

You know what, give me Austin Daye back.

brofmfa likes this.
  5. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Not a good person.

linwood likes this.
  6. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I seconded.

7. coynejeremy

This rumors thread has run its course. We need a NEW rumors thread!!!!!

Walter and linwood like this.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I agree. Would be nice to pick up any of them. Austin Daye is a good cheap bench player with the ability to hit 3's and be a lengthy defender.

Would also be nice to have another vet or two on the bench who know their role.

I always liked Wesley Matthews after watching him catch fire a few times.

9. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Guys I don't want back: Daye, Tay, Rip, Okur, Stackhouse, Billups, Delfino, Amir, Corliss, Lanier, Bing, Dumars,....

Let's leave the past in the past and move onwards into the No Flip-Flops era.

BallDon'tLie and linwood like this.
  10. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Just commenting in gerneral after reading some of this thread. Getting a pretty darn good player like Smith has to make us better. For one, we don't ever have any excuse to play CV another minute. With Mithchel as a fourth guy getting minutes at power forward / center, we should always be solid on defense and rebounding up front. Something we were so often not the past two years with a coach who could care less if the other team waltzed to the hoop all night uncontested, and then if they did happen to miss, they got a myriad of opportunties as needed to score the bucket on 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc. chances.

Now, while Smith may not be the best 3 point shooter, he certainly seems to be able to hit a short jumper if you sag off him. With him and Monroe being good passers, and Drummond having the soft hands, we should see dunks by Drummond from interior passes all night long night after night. And if Monroe improves even the slightest at his outside shootinig, hey, let them rip, cause between Drummond and Smith, we got a great chance of putting the rebound back in if they miss.

Bynum was too short to play decent D. Singler and JJ too slow. None of these guys should ever see another minute on the Pistons. Besides, we have a couple of guys who can defend, and hit 3's, in English and Middleton. Let those guys be our bench brigade along with Mitchel and Stuckey. Defensively, you have good speed, height, and length at position after position, both with the starters and the subs. Sure, some of these guys are not perfect on D, like Stuckey getting lost on picks too much, but they will do very well indeed.

So, with the rest of the free agent points left, I say pass. You might be able to upgrade slightly, but overall, Knight can defend well enough to make anyone coming in make us miss him on that end of the floor. Start Knight, split the minutes right down the middle with Stuckey. You got 12 fouls to give, and two guys rotating, staying fresh from beginning to end of the game. Knight and Stuckey have two very different styles, and I call that a plus. When Stuckey comes in, his mission is to crash to the hoop. Middleton will be in with him at small forward with JSmoothe moved over to power forward, Drummond taking a breather. So you got Stuckey driving, English and Middleton spotting up on the wings, and Monroe and Smith in to garner the rebounds when needed. Stuckey can dump off to the shooters, find one of the interior guys, or give it to a cutter like Middleton who can score the ball well. And on defense, hey, this 2nd unit is good enough to make the points stick. And Smith needs a rest, Mitchel comes in. No drop off at all in defense or rebounding - or ability to dunk the ball on a drop off. Monroe comes out, Drummond comes back in. A few spectacular dunks from him, and time to bring the starters back in.

Soon, you have Knight, Pope, JSmith, Monroe, and Drummond all back out there. Either of Monroe or Smith take one of those "ill advised" jumpers, no problem, because hey, if Smith takes the jumper, he has both Monroe and Drummond to clean it up. Ditto for Monroe, as he has Smith and Drummond to make the shot taken look real good since the rebound got put back in. Pope will help spread the floor, and hey, since Knight is the point guard, and already has the ball under control, you can not sag off him. He can hit shots at a fine clip if left open and forgotten about. And believe me, with a front line of Smith, Monroe, and Drummond, and a solid outside bomber like Pope, they will often forget Knight.

So hey, I say let this roster fly as is, and lets see what we have now. There is always the trade deadline, and the new cap rules. If things don't work out as is, guys like CV and Stuckey have expirings with which we should be able to get a valuable player in return. If we don't need one, hey, save the money, lower the ticket prices a bit for us fans.

11. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Oh, it just made me wanna cry every time when "Amir" came across to my eyes.

Hey Lee, how is this summer going ?

12. BillLaimbeer

The Pistons have to spend more money. It's part of the CBA. If they release Stuckey and/or amnesty BoT, they will have to spend even more money. Detroit only has until this Tuesday, July 9 to use the amnesty on BoT. Once Tuesday passes and we learn further details of Smith's contract, we will know exactly how much more money the team will have to spend on free agents or via free agency.

13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Technical question here. If we were way under and forced to spend the money, could Gores sign himself to a contract and then just not play (or if in total tank mode, go ahead and play)? I wonder if they closed that loophole.

BallDon'tLie likes this.
  14. BillLaimbeer

I think MJ had to give up his ownership before he made his comeback to play with the Wiz.

How heavy can you front-load a contract? For example, could you sign a guy to a 3-year/$18 million deal and pay him $14/$2/$2?

15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Good point. Just looked up "why did jordan sell before comeback" and an article popped up that explained the conflicts and the loophole block in the CBA.

Another loophole might be to reduce Joe's regular salary to $1 for a 10 year period and then sign him up as a player for 1 year with a $5M contract (or something like that). Stern probably has a superpower to just squash any obvious loophole violations I would think.

On the frontloading issue, I think that someone here answered that the other day. Basically, frontloading is severely limited (surely to block what you are proposing).

16. coynejeremy

Just making sure - are you talking about D-League Tony Mitchell or draft pick Tony Mitchell?

17. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

No. There is a % limit. And yes you cannot own part of the team.

18. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Done.

[​IMG]

webz, detteam, linwood and 3 others like this.
  19. coynejeremy

Not bad. I might have gone with "Slappy" but we already have a Slippy, so it's cool.

20. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor