Latest Pistons Rumors

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Mark V, Jun 30, 2013.

1. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

lol .. No way! Bynum and Maxiell in other teams jersey, pleeease!!

2. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    So, are we saying it is a go if he is indeed amnestied?

3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm sure a couple of teams will make a run on him. I highly doubt it will be the Pistons, though.

4. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Feel the thrill!!!
    @vgoodwill: 5.75 million on the deal for two years for Bynum, my bad #Pistons
    @vgoodwill: At least $5 million in cap space and 14 on the roster. Trade avenues the next thing #Pistons
    Twitter / vgoodwill: 5.75 million on the deal for ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (look who's in the game f00!s?!?!)

5. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I would tend to concur. :)

6. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

No Metta.

7. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

For someone who's given as much effort as Will has for the past 5 YEARS, I find it kind of disheartening that Joe keeps nickel and diming him when his deal comes up. Hell, if the Blazers can pay $6M per for 9ppg, certainly Joe could have done a little better than this. Maybe no one else cares, but how can a guy who leaves it on the floor every night and has actually performed BETTER, relative to his minutes, than the guy we gifted Billups for constantly get the short end of the stick while everyone who HASN'T deserved it has gotten a pay day here?

Nemo, linwood, KGREG and 1 other person like this.
  8. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

No one is forcing Bynum to take the millions, he can always get a job flipping burgers. Paying people what they "deserve" should be a firable offense if that player is willing to take less, this is not charity.

mikhail1973 and BillLaimbeer like this.
  9. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I feel the exact same way, the guy outperformed his last contract and he gets a pay cut? Where dey do dat at? Auburn Hills!

Pwn Toney likes this.
  10. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It's called market value. Why pay a guy more than he's worth if you don't have to? I'm sure the dude can feed his family on $2.9 million a year.

mikhail1973 likes this.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Joe probably doesn't feel like gifting somebody more than he himself is getting.

12. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

So now Joe is damned for underpaying Bynum.... after he was damned for bidding against himself so many times in the past? I look at this as he's working on his faults and don't get the hating, if he is being underpaid some other team would have offered him more?

del, mikhail1973 and BillLaimbeer like this.
  13. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Again, this is not a monetary issue. This is all about team chemistry. Players see JD pay Stuckey over 8 mil per, then pay Bynum under 3 mil per.
    Does anybody here think that Stuckey has more heart, desire, or gives more effort than Bynum. Players DO notice this stuff and it WILL take its
    toll this season. All JD had to do is give the guy a little raise...and then send Stuckey to Timbucktoo.............

Pwn Toney likes this.
  14. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

I would have to assume that Stuckey is on his way out, and that Joe would have traded him awhile ago if he could have. Unfortunately, he had to wait until Stuckey's contract was expiring for it to have any real value.

15. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

With this new CBA expiring contracts are no longer that valuable. Guys are only getting 4 and 5 year deals now. Most teams give a player at least 2-3 years to pan out, if they don't then they are essentially only left with 1 (maybe 2) years on their contract. Do you really want to take on a guy who sucks for 1 year just to save money a year earlier?

16. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

And as far as Bynum goes, they could have given the guy another $500k just so he isn't taking a pay cut.

17. Pwn Toney

That's not the point. All things are NOT equal and these players don't operate in a vacuum. My issue is with the way we compensate players who actually succeed here in DET. There's a reason we ALWAYS have to build through the draft AND struggle to get free agents and always have to bust our ass and overpay someone who's never played a game for us to get people to come here.

I'm disappointed that we don't take care of someone like Bynum who really deserves it, but we're happy to toss money at players that have never played for us or who are here for way longer than they should be and we end up re-signing them. If you're not going to give him more dough...at least give him 3-4 years. He's earned it, IMO. With the exception of the brief Calderon era, he's been the best PG on this team the last two seasons. His assist numbers for the minutes he plays have been really good. He leaves EVERYTHING on the floor and he fights when other players are seeing the writing on the wall during some games. Nevermind the fact that had he not bonded on/off the court with Drummond the way he did, we may not have gotten half the production out of him that we did. He's doing his job and then some and in typical DET fashion, he gets the low $ deal. It's no different than when Chauncey and Ben's contracts got close to ending we all of a sudden couldn't figure out how we were possibly going to keep guy and then let one walk and trade another for AI to clear cap space to, then, go and throw $90M at Gordon and CV.

It's not just about market value. If this team cared about market value we wouldn't have given Stuckey another $8M+ to stink up the joint. It's about doing EVERYTHING on the cheap and the players who deserve it don't get the bonuses. It's always the guys you end up bidding against yourself to overpay because you've backed yourself into a corner and you HAVE to pay someone to try to improve the team (or so you might think).

Nemo likes this.
  18. Pwn Toney

That's a cop out. Sure he's not being forced, but he may really like playing with Drummond and the rest of the guys here. You don't have to resort to "go flip burgers" especially for a guy who is about to graduate from college. That's a pretty lame response, IMO. Guys can sign a deal that isn't actually fair to them. That doesn't make it right. I don't care how much money you make. Having a higher paycheck should not disqualify you from being compensated or treated fairly for the work you've put in. You want to talk about why this team is giving most of its cash to Smith who is a risk of not being a fit here? These practices make it hard for DET to lure players, especially, if those players see a pattern of "Succeed in DET? Option 1: Be low-balled on your next contract ...Option 2: Be shown the door before your next deal comes up. This kind of behavior eventually MAKES you one of the teams that no one wants to play for.

NBA contracts are CLEARLY offered based on past performance. A small number of them are offered on future potential. Neither of which has been considered in this case, IMO.

Nemo likes this.
  19. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Shane Battier and Ray Allen didn't make much last year.

20. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I'm sure you could feed your family on 10% less income than you currently make. That doesn't make it fair though.......

Pwn Toney likes this.