1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Latest Pistons Rumors

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Mark V, Jun 30, 2013.

1. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Like that's really gonna happen.

Nemo likes this.
  2. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

If business or future business needs means he needs to be on the roster then the organization needs to be clear with what they're going to do with him.

He can't be dressed along with Bynum, Webster and The Pontiff. The time has come to make some decisions.

3. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

You only need stuff to trade if you are over the cap. We can flat out absorb a salary and trade a token future 2nd rounder. Joe doesn't cut real assets. Rod will go to a good team for peanuts because Joe takes care of his guys.

4. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I swear if we end THIS season with Stuckey and/or Villanueva still on the roster........ I'm pretty certain Joe will be fired.

5. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

I love those heavily contested 15 footers. But hey, on the bright side, we get to see lots of contested shots if Stuckey is in the line up.

Not really. The aim is obviously to try and trade him. Stuckey could be useful in the right role, just not as "the guy". To be honest, I think there could be value in him, both as a player and an expiring contract. If JD wants to get rid of him, there will be some suitors.

Since I would take Wallace regardless of whether Rondo was involved, yes. He would instantly be the best defender on the team and gives us heaps of hustle. Can't shoot though so thats a bummer.

Villenueva, yes. But thats only because it is silly to amnesty him when there is only one more year on his contract. Stuckey will be traded for sure.

6. max

max All-Star

I am not surprised. It's the same reason we never used the amnesty clause . Something about Gores business model does not permit eating mult-million dollar contracts. On the plus side he is willing to shell out to sign guys but just does not seem to like cutting losses if there is a cheaper way out.

7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

If we had Iggy/J Smith/ Monroe/ Drummond, you'd have to start Bynum with them. That would be a hilarious brand of bball.

roscoe36 likes this.
  8. MARK MADSEN!

MARK MADSEN! First Round Draft Pick

JOSH SMITH IS NOT A THREE!

NAAT A 3

The Panda likes this.
  9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

We can, but then we take back a trade exception. Trade Exceptions count against the cap until they expire or are used up. So if we do an offseason trade before we go after Free Agents, then our cap room will be smaller.

At least that is how I understand it.

10. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

He was the SF for Atlanta for several years.

11. The Panda

He can definitly play there.

If he starts at the 3, I would expect that our team would be doing nothing but non stop running. Drum/Knight/Smith/Iggy are devastatingly quick on the break.

I don't really think we are signing Josh Smith though.

12. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I think its the other way around. We get the salary of player A and the other team gets an exception. The exception is an asset and not a liability.

Back to stuckey. We have enough to put up 1 decent offer without amnestying CV so it doesn't make sense to dump Stuckey. Chemistry wise...if mo gets stuckey some win shares...COY! baby!

13. Mark V

Mark V Bench Warmer

Good news guys. Per Vince Ellis, the Pistons are in fact targetting Josh Smith however under no condition will they offer him a max contract. Phew.. Still breathing :)

14. Kerghan

Kerghan First Round Draft Pick

Maybe Joe is thinking Smith at the 4 and Monroe to Boston for Rondo if he doesn't think Greg is worth a big extension?

15. Ernie the Slow Adult

This is the same logic they used when they signed Ben Gordon. I like paying a guy big $$ to come play out of position. (He and the Hawks stunk when he played the 3.)

If worse comes to worse you can always bring him off the bench for 16 minutes a night.

16. Ernie the Slow Adult

Then this should read "the Pistons are in fact targeting Josh Smith however under no condition will he sign here."

Slippy likes this.
  17. The Panda

I think the idea is that Drummond would still come of the bench and play starters minutes but those three would be the rotation. If Iggy is actually on the radar you would put him at the 3.

18. Ernie the Slow Adult

I can picture the recruiting visit where they explain to Smith their no pay to play offer.

'It's going to be great Josh. You can either fight Drummond and Monroe for playing time or play a totally different position and role from where you've flourished the last few years.'

'You know how everyone winces and throws a fit every time you shoot a 3 because it isn't your shot? Well, with your new position we're going to put you in a position to shoot nothing but those shots. You'll be far away from the basket so you can't rebound the ball either'

'It is going to hurt signing this check, but we are going to do it for you. It's not max money, in fact it's barely over half of max money, but it's all yours. Everyone isn't capable of wearing 4 button polo shirts, but we think you are. What do you say?'

coynejeremy likes this.
  19. Ernie the Slow Adult

Well now I feel stupid for criticizing the idea.

linwood likes this.
  20. Mark V

Mark V Bench Warmer

I like Josh Smith and I would love for him to sign with the Pistons. However, past lessons have taught us, IE Ben Gordon and Charlie V, that overspending for hyped players isn't the way to go. I'd actually rather spend all that money on guys like Paul Milsap and Andre Iguodala.

BallDon'tLie likes this.