1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

LB's an Ass

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mercury, Sep 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. himat

himat Bench Warmer

We all know Flip is going to make the bench better. Not only by giving them minutes, but that zone will also help them on the defensive end so we won't have to always use Lindsey. Now this is where people have doubts, the starters. Will they mess up without LB around? I personally think no because these guys have to know what it takes to win know, and this upcoming season they will be more determined to win it all again. So overall I think this will help us, but we won't know for at least another month

2. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

The Knicks could have a United Way drive, and display the rising contribution levels on a big cardboard catheter.

3. Tyskillz

Tyskillz First Round Draft Pick

EXCELLENT post Lazy!!!!! A truly unique perspective but you so thoroughly explained it that I totally see where you're coming from. No doubt sir, everyone deserves their fair shot....

4. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Great post Lazy,
    You just described perfectly why I cant stand LB. Nothing wrong with being tough. But LB was just sadistic, and only towards a few players. The starters, dice, and hunter could do no wrong, and everyone else could do no right.

5. Caliban

Caliban First Round Draft Pick

Larry Is Not Only An Ass But A Wipe

Hello Piston Fans,

I've been a lurking fan at the Det. News Forum and Here since it started, so I feel as though I know a lot of the members already and am familiar with the goings on.

Thought my first contribution should be on the Larry question. Up until the time he came to Detroit, I loved the guy, thought he was cool and a good coach. After experiencing him for the last two years. I can't stand the dood (sic) and am glad he's gone.

I, detested the way he gratuitiously trashed Darko and withheld any human sympathy from him--which doesn't mean he had to treat him with kid gloves. Darko has game and will show it this year. That he does have game and that he was unfairly treated by LB (a pound of crap) is proven by the way Chauncy, Ben, and Sheed would jump off the bench when Darko did something good on the court. The looks on their faces buttressed the import of Chauncey's words about the lb and Darko--both that he has game and that he was unfairly treated. Can't wait till the Pistons play the Knicks.

I also detest the way the lb talked out of both sides of his mouth. One of his prime tricks is to enthusiastically denigrate a player and then say with considerably less enthusiasm, "But it's really my fault." Like the Sheed Ginobli incident for example. It was abundantly clear that in accepting blame, He was clearly trying to clear himself. And of course the both sides of the mouth thing was never clearer than in the way he left. He's a decent coach, but he's not just an ass but a hole and a wipe.

I suppose everyone's heard that the lb did not attend his mother's 100th birthday party. But, have you heard the reason? It's rumored that she asked the lb "Larry, would it hurt you to play Darko for a few minutes in the second quarter?"

:amen:

6. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Caliban

Good insight (I probably only think that because I agree with you ,lol). Nice first post. :) Welcome to the forum.

7. Caliban

Caliban First Round Draft Pick

Thanks, Darth, I wanted to edit my post a little bit but couldn't find a way to do so. When I said "It was abundantly clear that in accepting blame, He was clearly trying to clear himself." I really wanted to say that in accepting blame, he merely was trying to make himself look good, i.e. noble.

It's of a piece with his "I love, you guys" while making sure the cameras and mikes were on him. He's always mouthing about love and his good relationships because love and relationships are a problem with him. See Shakespeare's, "I fear the lady doth protest too much.":drama:

8. rdang

rdang First Round Draft Pick

That is so true. Its amazing what Shakespeare teaches you about people and their character. I took a Shakespeare class last year in uni...was my favourite course of the term. I read The Tempest too :wink: hence me knowing your name Caliban.

9. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Shakespearian quote for Darko

"To climb steep hills requires slow pace at first." -Shakespeare, Henry VIII.
    Act I. Sc. 1

10. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

"They laugh that win."
    - Othello, Act IV, scene I

11. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

LOL!!!!:) I think that would be too funny. However I think Darko would get a backlash from it. LB is reapected around hte league and a lot of people would frown on that comment. Perhaps he could say it in Serbian so people would have to translate it. That way there will be like 5 different interpretations and he can always say he was miss quoted. LOL!!!

12. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

He who sit on toilet high on pot.
    - Romeo and Juliet, Act II, Scene III

13. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I liked coach. I've always liked the yelling a-hole coaches that yielded results, same could be said for bosses, teachers etc, etc........

The thing is all those teachers, bosses, coaches etc would ride you real tough, but when nobody was looking they'd tell you a joke, or give you a pat on the back, or a pound etc. That was done so that you realized that what they were doing TO YOU was really FOR YOU. All of my friends that had the COOL parents, did poorly in school, caught cases, had kids too early etc.

Larry rides players hard, but he dishes out a few compliments every now and then to show you that, as big of an ASS as he is, it's not personal, he wants you to be the best player you can be. Also I don't know where all this CRAP about LB only messing with Darko comes from. Chauncey got rode, Rip came out the office in tears, Ben complained publicly, Tayshaun got yelled at and benched for Darvin. Now I'll admit he did favor Lindsey, Darvin, Elden and Dyess....but everyone else had got rode hard.....even Sheed (Darv told me personally) it's just Sheed has a Whatever type of attitude, and shakes everything off.

14. Darth Tater

Agreed. That kind of management, parenting, and teaching style CAN be very effective and beneficial.

Was it beneficial to Darko? I think not.

Was it harmful? I think it was.

Was Larry's intent to humiliate Darko or make him a better player? Lemme see...embarrassing him on national tv...

Was Larry harder on Darko than the others? I dunno

Was what Larry did really FOR Darko? Maybe he gave him some behind the scenes "pats on the back." Was that supposed to give Darko confidence when he probably felt that regardless, he was destined to sit on the bench?

Larry's style very well may have helped some of the players on the team. But everyone reacts differently to different management styles. I believe Larry did what he did because that's what made LARRY successful...NOT for Darko's benefit.

15. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

You are right. There is no coach for all seasons.

What made Larry successful made the Pistons successful. You can't claim objectivity by judging the bad without accounting for the good.

And there was plenty of good in the last 2 years.

Guess what? Darko will turn out fine, maybe even a little mentally tougher and determined for those initial two years. His benching had little to no impact on our championship aspirations, and he's now just 20, with a solid 15 year career ahead of him.

This junk gets blown out of proportion and Darko/LB is the most polarizing and unproductive topic for discussion simply because almost everyone is entrenched in their beliefs.

Now back to the thread topic, will we be better under Flip? And if you want a real challenge, try to measure Flip by Flip, not by not being Larry. Or put a new spin on it and compare Flip to Carlisle.

Anyone got some insight or a unique perspective to contribute?

16. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

unless you count that whole tayshaun prince switch onto tim duncan thing. then darko's benching does seem to me to have an important effect on our championship asprirations.

honestly flip is a wild card right now. who knows if he'll play zone with the bench or if he'll have us playing a more uptempo game. it's all speculation right now. we can only go by what he says and he will play the young guys. thats going to be our biggest improvement actually having a bench we can call on. but i don't want to really speak on the topic because i am one of those people that is more happy about us getting rid of lb than i am about us hiring flip. i would have preferred laimbeer and good assistants or nate mcmillan. but lb messed up the nate mcmillan thing by dragging out the buyout when he didn't want to be here anyway.

17. Darth Tater

jay

I was hoping they would get Nate Mcmillan too, but Flip isn't a bad "consolation prize", I think.

As far as Laimbeer...he is one of my favorite all time Piston's players. I always thought he was a jerk but he was OUR jerk, lol. He's a winner, no doubt.

But I don't know how the players would respond to him. I know a women's team may react differently than a man's team, but the Shock seem to have vastly under-performed the last two seasons. Maybe his methods got old really quick? So my heart would love to see him here, but my head is saying "donnnnn't do it." I guess it's a moot point anyhow.

18. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

You guys wouldn't have liked Nate. He demands the heck out of his players and didn't like the push from Seattle management to play youth.

He's a good coach, but I can't see him co-existing in Detroit with the youth of the bench. Well, correct that. I could have seen him thriving in Detroit as a coach, but making the usual parties upset that younger players were neglected.

So, anyone want to predict a win-loss total for this year?

19. rdang

rdang First Round Draft Pick

I've got a good hypothetical question:

What if Larry put Darko in during Game 7 and Duncan STILL did what he did?

We'd be worse off than we were now because Darko's confidence would be even more ruined. I think Larry should've put on one of the big three, Dyess, Ben or Sheed...there wasn't really an option with Darko because he just simply wasn't ready.

20. Darth Tater

I'd be fine with Nate, Brown or anyone else not playing the young players if we didn't need them. I think last year we did need our bench.

But yeah, if I perceive that a coach is humiliating a kid when he is getting paid to help his players...not getting paid to mess with their heads, then yeah, I take exception to that.

Plus I have no use for a coach who has his head elsewhere (I'll refrain from the easy cheap shot as to where his head was... up his....oopsie,lol).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.