Legit Draft Day Trade Scenarios

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by KGREG, May 28, 2010.

1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Kgreg, great stuff as usual.

Most people here agree that a franchise player is needed for the Pistons to head back in the right direction.

If you want to win an NBA Championship, though, you need to have a franchise DEFENSIVE player on your squad. In fact, if you go back and look at the last 30 NBA Champions, 28 out of those 30 teams had a guy on their roster that was NBA All-Defense. (The other 2 teams had Honorable Mentions...2006 Dwayne Wade, 1995 Hakeem Olajuwon.)

If you rated the current Pistons on defense alone, nearly the entire roster would grade "average" or worse. The exceptions would be Jerebko and Prince (who is one of the players that may get dealt).

Anyway, my point is that any trade must not make the already terrible defense any worse.

NBA All-Defensive Team - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of NBA champions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  2. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

In todays NBA, no team is going to play lock-down defense anymore, all you need is a team that can get stops in the 4th qtr in a semi-close game. That type of defense is all about committment and effort. Lastly, championships? Championships, we're nowhere near a place where that even needs to enter the discussion, can we just work our way out of the lottery?
  3. Brap

Brap Starter

I'd love to get Al Jefferson. He's as great a post player on offense as there is in the league. Plus, he'll be much better this year, his second season after his knee injury which slowed him last season.
  4. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

So let's now look at the team picking 5th in the draft, The Sacremento Kings.

These dudes are about $22Million under the salary cap. They have some good front court players (Landry, Hawes, Thompson, Casspi, Nocioni, Green) a good young 2-Guard who can play some point in Evans. They need a PG like yesterday. In short we have nothing they need or want, maybe Tay, but not likely.

Sac's best move would be to trade the 5th pick to New Orleans for Darren Collison. Collison is too good to come off the bench behind a guy playing 38-40mpg, he's the Hornets best trade chip and now would be an ideal time to pull the trigger. The 5th pick in the draft for Darren Collison.....hmmm. And then use their $20M in a lopsided trade with someone trying to dump an overpaid all-star's salary.
  5. BillLaimbeer

Would you at least agree with me that the Pistons defense currently sucks and the team shouldn't make any trades to make the defense any worse?
  6. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Well, ummm, I guess so....BUT, sometimes the best defense is a good offense, and when your current offense sucks worse than your current sucky defense, well.........Gimme some cats that can put the little orange ball through the little orange ring with a net on it first, then we can tweek and develop defense.
  7. BillLaimbeer

You mean like Charlie Villenueva and Ben Gordon?
  8. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

DARN IT :doh: I concede...........
  9. BillLaimbeer

That was easier than I thought it would be.....:pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound:
  10. Brap

Brap Starter

The best defensive isn't a great offensive, the best defense is a great defense.

I dunno, that sounded funny to me.

The Pistons won't be contenders - no team will - unless it's willing to play rugged defense. I don't know for sure that there's one formula for that. The Lakers don't have a great interior defensive team, but they do have stoppers like Artest and Kobe. I think the Lakers are tough minded, but they are nothing like the Celtics on D who just beat the living crap out of you especially in the paint. The Celtics are also physical enough to stop any perimeter player, including LeBron, from beating them by himself. Paul Pierce does a very good job staying on him, and LeBron just isn't that much stronger than him.

Great defensive teams always seem to play great team D. Guys know their roles and don't make mistakes in coverage or help schemes.

Great defensive teams also tend to execute their offense the way it's designed, so they can have floor balance back in transition. The Pistons have been an absolutely horrid transition defensive team lately. Have you noticed the incredibly high % teams tend to shoot against us after we've missed a basket? If we miss a 3, invariably the other team comes down and punishes us.
  11. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Guys I know and believe that defense wins championships, I know that it takes defense to be contenders, I know that it takes defense to get get deep into the playoffs. BUT with the rule changes it takes offense to get out of the lottery, which is where we are now. I can't even think about contending until we are playing .500 basketball and are making the playoffs.
    Last year we were one of the worse scoring (29th out of 30) and shooting teams (27th out of 30, we were dead last in 3FG%) in the league.

Defensively we tied for 13th, middle of the pack in scoring defense.
    We were 26th in OppFG%...Not Good!

As bad as our D is/was, the offense is even worse. I'm not saying abandon defense altogether, but our defense is good enough to get us back in the playoffs if we ever learn how to shoot it straight.
  12. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

I'm satisfied as long as the offense improves more than the defense worsen.
  13. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Now let's look at the 6th pick in the draft, the Golden State Warriors.

I have no clue what they'll do, they don't have any trade assets (thet they're going to trade) and they need a whole team, a SF, PF, C. I'm expecting them to take the best player available.

What we may be able to do is trade up to this spot, but it's not worth it, and neither team has the cap flexibility to do anything. Their pick is going to piss off Piston fans big time, believe that.

So far I have the 1st 7 picks of the draft looking like this up to this point:
    1. Wash - Wall
    2. Philly - Turner
    3. NJ - Favors
    4. Minny - Cousins
    5. Sac - Wes Johnson (will be traded to New Orleans or NJ for Darren Collison or Devin Harris)
    6. GSW - Greg Monroe / Udoh / Aminu
    7. Det - Udoh / Monroe / Aminu (depends on who GSW picks)
  14. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Very detailed write-up about the possibility of a trade for Sessions.
    The Point Problem: Ramon Sessions - Detroit Bad Boys

15. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I'd be down with this if Rip and [strike]Darko[/strike] Al Harrington were involved.

Rip & Weezy + filler for Sesh and Big Al.
  16. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Can't stop thinking about Big Al Jefferson. I think he is exactly what and who we need to get this ship sailing in the right direction. Last season when the rumor of Big Al being available started, Bird immediately offered Danny Granger and Kahn said NO! That means while he might be available it's going to take some major assets to free him up.

It's going to take 2 players and our #7 pick, because I'm sure Indy will gladly offer up Granger (a young superstar whose best days are ahead of him) and their #10 pick for Big AL. I think we agree Rip should be one of those players, question is who's the second, and be serious. What if they want Rip and JJ, would you do it? Rip and Daye? Rip and Tay? Rip and Stuckey?

How about this 3 team (Det / Utah / Minn) deal?
    • Tay to Utah.....
    • AK-47 & Rip & Our 7th pick to Minn..... (saves Utah $6M this season and fills a huge void at SF for them)
    • Big Al and Utah's 9th pick to us, we then trade that #9 pick to Wash for Gilbert Arenas (assuming the Wiz really want him gone)
    STARTERS: Arenas / Gordon / JJ / Big Ben / Al Jeff

BENCH: Bynum / Stuckey / Daye / Max / Charlie V
  17. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

18. Walter

i'd give rip and stuck for sessions and big Al.
  19. Walter

I like that 3-team trade. Works for almost everybody. The only difference is I'd rather keep the 9th pick than get Arenas. You're not winning anything with Arenas on the roster.

BTW, Tay might just be the piece that would get Utah over the hump
  20. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

I don't Like Arenas..

Not because that incident with a Gun.. no no.. I never like him.
    Besides He is no PG, man... he plays the point like Iverson or Monta Ellis.

With the Difference that Ellis is way much better than im playing defense.