Let's talk about Stuckey for a second

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Kidstealth, Jul 22, 2009.

1. max

max All-Star

There are some times that small ball can work. Our problem last year with it was that we had 1 over the hill guy who could not finish at the rim any more. Nothing is going to work well when one of your big min players shoots 6-19 most nights.

Tay is the SF, Day is his backup and we have more PF's than we know what to do with. Going interesting to see how much patience Keuster has with Suckey as the starting point.
  2. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I have not been a fan of small ball given this group of players, but I caught a few games from the LB era within the last few months and noticed that they were able to play that way.

If Kuester can be demanding and exacting with the team on offense then this may not be the disaster I have envisioned.
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Pistons guard Rodney Stuckey hires family friend as agent | freep.com | Detroit Free Press

Very wise move...
  4. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

He's young but I'm sure he has tremendous upside.
  5. Ernie the Slow Adult

The guy has crashed into filing cabinets at an alarming rate, but you see the ease that he submits writs and torts to the court and you know this guy has got it.
  6. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Why? At twenty-eight, the last thing Stuckey needs is a family member to fluff up the professional ego.

Better to get solid professional who can say this to him:
    • The book on you is this
    • I can get you to become a better player
    • I can get you with the right coach
    • I can get you with the right team
    • I can get you the longest longevity
    • I can get you top dollar per contract
    • I can get you secondary contracts which will make more than your team contract
    • I am a top-flight nutritionist, but I can't stop you eating unhealthy food. Some positive hunger and the right mental supplements will make you stay on top of your game
    • In the end, we both can win
  7. pass99

This small ball (it can work) takes the right coach. Least of which is having the ability to bend some attitudes.

Right now you have two bull-dogs at PG who like to put their heads down and never look up. Last night they both looked bad. They both can not hit the mid (or any range) jump shots (while moving) and are very predictable on what they will attempt to do.

Combine the former PGs, with the SGs, who don't like to dribble (BG with the lesser reference) and you have individual patterns that involve only one motion that is easily scouted where it is most likely to end.

I think that somewhere the 3, 4 and 5 spots are part of this team. I may need to be corrected on this.
  8. Ernie the Slow Adult

Short of having dominant talent at the 4 and 5 spots teams get by creating shots for them from the 1,2 and 3 spots.

The Pistons are a guard dominant team where all the guards get shots for themselves only. They never force a defense to move in order to cover them.
  9. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Really, watching Stuckey is there anybody who feels that they are looking at a genuine PG? As a lifelong PG (from elementary to JUCO) I've only played the Point, and all us PG's used to brag that PG's are BORN not MADE. Look across the league at all of the best PG's and if you'll notice that none of them were molded into PG's, they were PG's in college. As long as we're trying to make this guy our Floor General it's going to be very rough.
  10. pass99

I absolutely agree. I was a point guard in HS/College and adaptation is unknown word. I was a good shooter, but when I was "zoned" into the flow of the game...the passing went upscale. You can always feel it when the team is clicking and everyone wants the ball. Paul and Williams are the best in the game and the wizard Nash still can show flashes of when he was supreme.

The best point guards are by nature, just slightly jittery. The mind/body reaction responds micro-seconds after the quick expansion of options. It is a different dimension because response is unknown, but somehow you have a compass rose leading you one step ahead that evolves toward next response.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I bet Stuckey asked Joe about the agent thing, and Joe was all for it.
  12. monrams99

monrams99 First Round Draft Pick

Your right man!!!! Its not all about having that talent it takes dedication and hardwork and that the problem with this new breed of players(not all) during off season they are pretty much busy settin up there cars/SUV or what ever its all about bling bling!!!!!hahahahahah peace out!!
  13. BB4L11

BB4L11 First Round Draft Pick

No one on this forum knows what players do over the offseason unless you happen to be there with them. There are millions of guys that don't get into the league and it's not from lack of trying, to say that the new breed of players don't want to work is crap, you're comparing them to the best of the best, Michael Jordan, Magic etc... I bet if you compared a player of Stuckey's calibre to someone similar 10-15 years ago Stuckey would train 5 times harder.

The fact is that these guys are professional athletes, they know what's going on, just because Stuckey hasn't made a workout tape like Dwight Howard or Lebron James it doesn't mean he isn't working hard.

Bottom line is that he may not be able to shoot, some people can't no matter how much they train, just like some can't jump, as long as he knows when to shoot and when not to he'll be alright.
  14. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

15. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Oh man I feel ya....that's why watching Rondo is so fun (his game is the most like mine, a PG who damn near REFUSES to shoot) Rondo gets into these asst zones where he just racks 4/5 asts up in a row while his team, goes on a run....I get chills just thinking back to those days.
  16. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

I haven't seen much improvement in Stuckey's game since last year, but I still have to hesitate on writing him off given the fact that he's working with what is likely the worst offensive frontcourt in the league. Not sure why anyone thinks he should look like Rondo or Nash when he's dishing to Ben Wallace and Kwame Brown instead of KG/Amare/etc. Having no threats to finish around the rim is seriously going to hold down this offense no matter who is manning the point.

And if Stuckey can't be converted to a solid point, it just adds more fuel to the "Why the hell did we sign Ben Gordon?" fire. Not to say Gordon isn't a good player, but at some point you have to look at the "need". And I don't see it with BG when we've got Rip and Stuck as capable SG's. That money is better spent elsewhere.
  17. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Have you seen the games this season. Stuckey could have a frontcourt of Amare, D-Howard and Carmelo; and still look bad, he doesn't have any PG intuition, he's a SG-plain and simple. All that said, WE NEEDED BEN GORDON, nobody in a Pistons Uni has been able to make the shots he's making since Zeke.
  18. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I believe this was about the goal of instilling youthful energy for the next run... waiting to move the older Rip when the time is right.
    The summer's moves were in no way to be considered the final pieces.

Hopefully Joe is back to his trader instincts... waiting on his boat for the next catch... :fish2: shh...here comes that dumb pike now (Clippers, Warriors etc)... I'm on a boat... I'm on a boat
  19. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

The consensus seems to be that Stuckey is:
    • a pure SG
    • can't shoot jumpers
    • gets blocked frequently when he drives
    • sucks at passing
    Seems like a real winner. I'm most excited.
  20. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It's kind of like an avalanche. One post snowballs until he's the worst thing since Vanilla Ice.