Let's talk about Stuckey for a second

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Kidstealth, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

As it stands right now, the three year long and counting Stuckey-the-future-franchise-PG experiment is not bearing any tasty fruits. Stuckey-must-start-at-PG dogma is preventing various rotation possibilities. Stuckey the player isn't the problem. But, the constraints created by the politics of playing Stuckey is what's bugging me.

2. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

No, but when you're trying to put a square peg into a round hole.........Stuckey is a combo guard, suited to come off the bench. A legit PG with Rip, a SF who can ball-not a glue guy, and a PF that can play D, reb AND make ft's (everything Dyess used to do) so we can move Vill to the bench would put us in good shape. I think that we have the pieces to move to get all the aforementioned.

3. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

KGreg, Please text the variables to Joe and Ms. D so we can get some deals done. I can sit thru a rebuilding year, but not when we are losing to the likes of Milwaukee and Oklahoma City...that can make this a 22-60 season instead of a more respectable 35-47 season.....:sssh:

4. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Insightfull approach.

5. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Because this guy has such a huge upside. He was the class free agent last year. If JD has an alter ego, Gordon is it.

If you can get a coach like LB in his head, then you have to start building your team around him. Q is a minor hiccup, but in all fairness, it is perhaps a save equalizer that the team is transitioning through (we will not start excessively blinking about the coaching finances pasted on JD's eyelids)

Remember one important and perhaps silent insight to his game: you rarely hear a peep out of this guy.

If you wanted him to, he could drop 30 a night and still be generally humble about it.

6. monrams99

monrams99 First Round Draft Pick

The if cant shoot? as a point gurad then get rid of him right? If you were the gm would you stick with a point guard who cant shoot? well it depends if your the celtics?like Rondo he cant shoot but he still shows that he is effective right?where is stuck effective? shooting from 2 ft away from the basket?no way!!! I dunno man but you know what I guess bynum makes a difference when he is on the floor as compared to stuckey!!

7. monrams99

So if he cant shoot,gets block, sucks at passing, and getting block while driving...Then lets get rid of this man..he belongs ahhmmmm i guess where in europe or in the D-league wahhaahahhaah

8. Maverick

Maverick First Round Draft Pick

It seems like I am working alot when the pistons are on lately but I have seen the following...

-he can now pentrate, draw everyone in and get a pass out... may not make it quite to the player hes passing to but its improvement..

-he can shoot.. I saw him make several jumpers the other day...

- he can shoot further from the basket but not a jumper... i saw a sick floater off the glass the other day agaist okc I believe.

-I saw him beast the other team several times... go up.. absorb contact..and either make the shot or get to the line..

get off stuckeys back hes getting there.

9. monrams99

geting where?the next so..so...so future PG or bound to be a looser till joe D jumps of te GM tower?lol

10. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Monrams, why do you like the Pistons if you hate the GM and the players so much?

11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Limited sample size... but here is how Stuck is shaking out so far this year.

73% of his shot attempts are jump shots and he's shooting and eFG% of .377 on those. Not that good. Last year he only took 58% J's and shot .418. He is getting blocked 8% of the time on these vs. 3% last year.

26% of his shots come in the paint, where he has a fg% of .423. He's been blocked on 31%!! of his attempts this year vs. 16% last year. This is horrendous and hopefully will be corrected as the year goes on.

Stuck has logged 21% of his minutes at SF, where he is shooting an eFG of .269 while the man that he's guarding is shooting .618. This is obviously not good either.

Strange year for him again as he's trying to play within a 3 guard set and sometimes out of position, but he really needs to improve his efficiency on offense by shooting better and getting blocked less.

12. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

8% of jump shots blocked?

Ouch.

13. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

He's been blocked on 8% of his jumpers? Wow!

14. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Stuckey will improve. One day he'll become the type of player that won't get blocked 1 out every 3 drives to the basket. He'll also learn to handle the ball and make accurate passes. He truly will become a key player for the Pistons and will be an integral part of our future success.

Godot is almost here. Just keep waiting.

15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Even though I'm pointing all of that out, I still am not that worried about him. At this stage of CB's career, he hadn't figured it out either. Maybe Stuck will find it and maybe he never will... but the flashes of goodness are enough that I think he can improve.

I'm pretty sure that he'll never be a great shooter or passer though, and that will keep him from being an all-star.

16. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Can someone provide an analysis of his efficiency between the first and second half??

He seems to get his shot off and it is more successful in the first half, but in the second half he either gets the shot blocked or he gets the offensive foul called on him more often.

...Also have to wonder about that two-handed palm shot??? If he was able to shoot it the conventional way or even shoot the one handed floater ala Gordan I wonder if the blocked shot percentage would possibly go down????

17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

They keep track of that, but haven't published it yet as far as I know. It would be even smaller sample sizes at this point to look at performance in just one half or the other.

18. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Is there a league average for percent of jumpshots that get blocked?

19. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

He's horribly out of shape, there's a noticable difference in his lift from one half to the other.

Very feww people in the league can shoot that floater, it's usually undersized guards that master shot and it's a shot that they've had to shoot their whole career, if Stuck can't hit that shot now, he never will be. It's weird because we have 3 players on our roster that have that shot as a major part of their repetoire - CV, BG, and Bynum.

20. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

You think so (regarding him being out of shape)? I think it is more nerves or just him not being a natural shooter and thinking about it when it matters. He's ok in the 3rd, but come the 4th it's off to clankville.

If Stuckey learns the floater then it is only a matter of time until the Free Press has a photo of a heroic Ben Wallace carrying a small child out of the crowd and into the Piston locker room for treatment.