Let's talk about Stuckey for a second

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Kidstealth, Jul 22, 2009.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It would be a very low number, like 3 or 4% overall. Guys who enter traffic or shoot later on the shot clock probably get blocked more often.

Here just a sampling from a few starting guards last season:
    Rip- 3%
    Billups- 5%
    C. Paul- 2%
    Nelson- 2%
    Wade- 1% (Stuckey's idol)... Wade gets blocked 9% in the paint.
    Redd- 2%
    Rondo- 5% (another guy with a bad J)

After looking around, it looks like getting blocked around 10% on attempts from the paint can be acceptable for an aggressive PG. From the outside, the acceptable limites are generally up to 5%ish. After that, you have a problem.
  2. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Stuckey has yet to ever show the capability to play starters minutes as a point guard. All that promise - was as Billups backup, playing lighter minutes. Nothing against Stuckey. He is just a fairly large person, who while being able to run real fast and quickly, is simply not built to run for long stretches. We do play him as a point guard, but notice he has the size to play small forward.

Basically, we have a rookie coach, who does not know his players. Tay got played about 39 minutes average in a 3 game in 4 night set. And worse, this is early in the season, when there is no way the players are ready to play ultra heavy minutes. I mean, hey, these were the very first 3 games of the season. Coach felt he had no choice. But just because he felt it does not make it right. It was not right to leave Rip in for garbage time for game one. Games 2 and 3, poor rookie coach now feels even more compelled to play Tay even more since Rip was out. Wrong decision one leads to wrong decision 2. And it will just escalate as the season goes along, until this coach learns that going by "feelings" just loses, just wastes, seasons of basketball. The rookie coach has to be made aware that it is his responsibility to watch his players minutes, keeping in mind that its an 82 game season, not a sprint. Sure, he has been around a long, long time. But he has never had the responsibility. He has not had to handle the pressure of making the decisons that count.

Right now, its just Gordon and Stuckey getting overplayed. If we are luckey, Rip will return before one of these guys gets injured from overuse.

But Rip will get played at small forward, and will shortly be injured again. And Stuckey and Gordon will continue to log heavy minutes. For sure, one will go down from overuse. Then we are down to just Stuckey maybe. Rip out. Tay out. Gordon out. So the clueless rookie will lean on Stuckey even more. End of any productive season for Stuckey. A domino effect. One bad decision leading to the next. If only someone would clue the guy in that player management is his job.
  3. monrams99

monrams99 First Round Draft Pick

Joe is Dreaming and waiting till we totally los track.....The bottomline is stuckey cant be the so..so...so future of this team, on what aspect of his game did he improve? I dunno Y'all tell me?
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Monrams, Stuckey likes you. Why can't you like him? And why are you so hard on Joe? Joe likes you too.

:rofl:
  5. monrams99

monrams99 First Round Draft Pick

Roscoe is that a silly question? isnt joe dreaming? stuckey is not a PG thats it....
  6. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Like someone else said, he shows enough to make you want to keep him, but eventually one of these guards-not named Ben Gordon- is getting a 1-way ticket out of Auburn Hills, eventually. IMO Stuck is a backup scoring guard -period, I'd trade him for an All-Star PG in a NY-Minute
    **cough**cough***Baron Davis**cough**cough
  7. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

I don't think he's out of shape at all.

I think the fact that he's playing most of his minutes guarding bigger people than himself is what is wearing him down at the end of games. That takes its toll.
  8. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Has Baron Davis ever shot above 41% in a season? I know he's been under 40 before.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't understand the fascination with a guy who's a horribly inefficient scorer, not a great playmaker and a guy who's reached the 30 age plateau with a long history of injuries.
  9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

It's a KGREG thing. :P I wouldn't want BDiddy for free.
  10. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Being from Saginaw, we watch everything J-Rich does, so I used to watch alot of GSW games, when Baron is healthy, in shape and motivated, he's as good as any PG in the league. Baron is healthy, in shape and motivated when he plays for a team that is headed towards the playoffs, when he's on a young team that's clearly rebuilding via the draft lottery, he could give 2-craps. Put Baron on the court with ben/BEN/Rip and CV....shhhhhh dude would have all of them headed to the all-star game and we'd be competing for the 4th spot in the playoffs.

Plus Baron is probably the best AVAILABLE PG, depending on how Wash looks this season Arenas may be available sooner than later, no reason to pay all that money to a player to take a team nowhere.
  11. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

you need to change all those when he is.... to if he is... we are not playing in the now as much as we are in the future, and will he be what you think he can be for that 2-6 year from now window that this team is being built for?

that is all assuming he comes in with a good attitude, and i'm not sold on that.
  12. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

wake up, look around there are many injured players; you could hardly say that they are injured due to "overusing".

You're sticking with on or two fan made myths, that is all.

Injures simply happen. Ironman gets career ending injury; player who has been labeled as "injury prone" will play 5-6 good season w/o injuries, etc.

Look around, in many teams players do not play on their natural position yet their health is not waning.

I'm calling your post as "doomsaying". Hey, everyone can type negative stuff and if that happens "I told to you so".

your preseason rant is already BS.
  13. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

You are certainly entitiled to your opinion on the matter. But please, realize its just your opinion. Have a great day.
  14. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Your opinion is in the same way opinion yet you have a nasty habit type in tone here as you know all what there is to know.

Life is full of unpredictable variables,Lee.
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

This is why I always immediately blame Kander. He got all the credit when we went on that long injury-less streak, so I feel like he needs to be held accountable here. And by accountable, I mean that on a basketball forum, at least one poster needs to criticize him. I'm that guy!
    :hoops:
  16. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Back to topic. While I can be definitely counted as an active member of the, "Rodney Stuckey is not a PG Club" As I look through the PG's in the NBA, there's not another available PG that I would trade him for, it's kinda like we're Stuck with Stuckey.
  17. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

THE problem is that forumites compare Stucket with elites -Devon Harris, Deron Williams, etc and of course, Stuckey is worse than those.

But overall, Stuckey is better than NBA average PG and not many of those are true PGs.

I guess we're spoiled with Billups performance here too...
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I think that part of the problem is that Joe made it clear that he thought Stuckey was good enough to take over and that in turn made Billups the guy that we traded for Cap Spayce. So, this led to inevitable disappointment when Stuckey didn't quickly grown into the role.

It really would be nice if we could substitute Billups for Rip right now.
  19. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

The problem is you usually get two out of those three.
    Well, this is true.
    You won't be able to squeeze Arenas' ego into the Palace. The other downside is we'll probably lose Arnie to long term injury because of overuse.
  20. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

True

No he isn't, there are probably 12-13 starting PG's I'd love to trade him for, but the other team's GM would laugh Joe right off his Blackberry.