1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Let's talk dollars and cents

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Aug 31, 2006.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Found this at 82games.

Detroit Pistons NBA stats and data from 82games.com

Fair salary, actual salary.

Some interesting stuff going on there. Looks like Ben was due a raise, and Tay/Billups remain terribly underpaid. It's astonishing that Joe is able to pay his starters so little.

Looking at the bench, everyone was overpaid for their production (minutes excuses aside). What's shocking is how Dice is apparently so overpaid.

2. majestik

majestik First Round Draft Pick

Check out mr Cato, fair salary $0.01mil.....actual salary $8.6. Only sheeds is gettin paid more. Go figure.

3. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

That's some interesting stuff. I took one more step to figure out exactly how underpaid or overpaid each Piston was last season, according to the numbers in the table. (As in the original table, salary numbers are in millions.)

I've reproduced the names of the players, their Actual Salary, their Fair Salary, and a new column: Actual Salary divided by Fair Salary (in other words, how much did they make as compared to how much they should have made). I then sorted the players from most underpaid to most overpaid. So Tay is the best deal, and Cato is the worst. As Roscoe pointed out, there is a huge dropoff in bang for the buck between starters and reserves.

[​IMG]

I couldn't believe the salary number listed for Tay was right, but I found out that the contract extension he signed last October doesn't kick in until the upcoming season.

4. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

what about thinking under utilized?

5. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

McDyess' poor numbers may have had something to do with playing with Arroyo, Hunter, Delfino, Evans, etc.

Lurker: I think subtracting the two salaries would give a more meaningful number than dividing.

6. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

If you think you have a more useful way to present the information, please feel free to post it.

7. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Dang CB is only worth $19.85M.
    How do you figure Rosc?

8. max

max All-Star

Interesting. I actually would not have placed Prince that high or McDyess that low. But there is I think a notion that Dyess is better than what he really is.

Coaches swear by him and he is the main reason why we never developed much in the front court positions.

9. roscoe36

Indeed Max. He's been considered the cure-all for Memo, Corliss and Darko. If you look at his production, considering he's had no serious competition, he's a darkhorse 6th man candidate, not the run away front runner for the last two years.

I was high on him in 2005 but not so much in 2006. There are nights when he really doesn't produce much at all. Maybe it's a lack of a second unit, or maybe he's really not the go to scorer we all wish he could be.

10. max

max All-Star

Not only that. And not to bash him too much but I always thought we needed a Center as the 3rd guy and not a 6'7"-8" PF.

11. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

It's fun to go around the different teams...

Check Smush Parker and Shaq and LBJ.

Or just check out the mess that is the NY Knicks.

12. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 All-Star Forum Donor

The Arroyo Apologists will say McDyess suffered when Carlos left. Nobody played the two-man game with Dyess anymore. :confused:

13. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Unfortunately I don't see the situation getting much better for Dice... when Flip Jr touches the ball he wants to score... same with Jmax & Amir...
    the best hope is if Delfino turns into a playmaker.... Blalock may be a facilitator if he gets a chance.

14. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Micro,

This is what bothers me. We have been winning on the cheap and we don't pony up money to stay at the elite. Hard to digest.

Tay is worth big bucks. The olympic team could have used him as could any other NBA team.

15. max

max All-Star

Bottom line though.

If your team is a good value for the buck thats being a good GM. I know we are all a bit on edge in light of recent transactions but you cannot build a team giving all your guys max dollars.

Prince is a good value but that dollar figure is being weighted by all the other SF's that got huge deals for little production.

16. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Good point.

Tay`s contract has been a measuring stick for a few deals lately. Prince`s contract has come up in negotiations between Josh Howard and the Mavs. Howard and his agent believes his contract should be worth just as much or more than Tay`s.

I beg to differ, but we will see.

17. max

max All-Star

I thought and still think Tay got a pretty fair deal. Its going to be what around 10mil/yr?

Josh Howard is one of those guys where you don't know. Is he going to keep imroving? For some reason I cannot see him as a top notch SF but if Dallas does not pay him then as we have seen for the past couple of years there is always someone else that will.

18. roscoe36

Tay is getting around $7 to $8 this year, with raises over the length of his deal.

I thought he signed very cheap, but considering that he is an "intangibles" player, it's probably hard to make a case for more during negotiations.

Josh Howard can do some things better than Tay, but lacks his court IQ. He will get more than Tayshaun, if only because the league average salary went up significantly this offseason, and fair market value is well, based on the current economic climate.

19. detteam

detteam All-Star

Arroyo departing wasn't the problem.

Dice is a good player coming off the bench...but I don't see him as a Piston 6th man. Looking back to our championship years, we had THE Microwave and Corliss at that position...both talented guys that could add a lot of intensity on both ends of the floor. When one of them came on the floor, there was no drop-off. The same really couldn't be said of Dice subbing for the Wallaces. His D is lacking and he rarely seems pumped up. Has Dice received a tech in his two years here?

A 6th man should be able to fire-up the rest of the bench...and that ain't Dice...he's too mild. On the bright side for BillD & JoeD...his salary ain't as wild as many bench players around the league.

The Pistons need a 6th man that the rest of the bench can draw energy and attitude from...I've always liked Lindsey for that reason.

Dice doesn't wanna make it happen...he seems too content just to be here.

20. max

max All-Star

McDyess's stats

Reg Season 7.8 PPG 5.3 RPG 0.59 BPG in 21.1 mins
    Playoffs 7.6 PPG 6.10 RPG 0.72 BPG in 20.6 mins

Not exactly standout stats. Probably should at least be in double digit scoring for 6th man consideration.

I never saw the coaches love for him and as I wrote thought a center would have been a better fit with 2 other PF's like the Wallace's. But he is not a bad player and is worth more than the 1 mil that 48mins credited him for.

We are going to need his rebounding next season.