1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Lidstrom thinks Wings will be OK

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Superstarov, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

From the Detroit News:

"I would imagine people are thinking we lost two great players and may think we're not as strong," Lidstrom said. "But I think we'll be just as strong as we were last season."

"We'll be a similar team. We've added (Danny) Markov and he'll help us on the back end. Having (Niklas) Kronwall for a whole year will help. Up front, guys will get an opportunity to play more. Guys will get more chances for ice time. Players will get an opportunity to produce."

I think Saint Nick is pretty optimistic. Which is a good thing, personally, I'm a little nervous and a little excited.

Obviously the formula the team used to follow had it's ups and downs. 3 Cups, President's Trophies, and the early playoff exits. How do you decide to dismantle the core? When you have no other choice.

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The Wings should be fine. They still outclass many organizations when it comes to the front office, fan support and quality of character in the locker room.

3. bezeach

bezeach First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

Re: Training Camp: Danny Markov

Article about the Wings pre-season predictions:

Experts' forecasts gloomy for Wings

As the hockey magazines and puck experts roll out their pre-season predictions, the expectations for the Detroit Red Wings seem to drop with each week.
    ESPN has the Wings struggling to just make the playoffs, Canadian Press has them no better than fifth or sixth in their conference and The Sporting News and The Hockey News don't think much of the Wings' chances either.
    The Wings themselves, well, they hope they get buried so deep that no one can find them on the radar.
    "We're like the Atlanta Braves of the NHL," defenceman Chris Chelios said.
    "They keep saying that stuff. The year we won the cup people were doubting us because of our age.
    "The bottom line is we're a very talented team. I don't think for one minute anyone can doubt that our chances of finishing first are as good or better than anyone in the league."

Rest of article:
    Experts' forecasts gloomy for Wings