Linwood's Official season predictions thread

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by linwood, Jul 23, 2006.

1. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Agree. But is guarding Shaq full time one on one the right thing to do, even if you have a guy who can do it a lot of the time (which I thought Ben could do)? With Ben one on one against Shaq the other guys seemed to know what to do and although Shaq scored a lot early in games (not so much later on), they kept Miami fairly under control.

When they did double, the other three players didn't seem to know what to do and that resulted in a lot of the slashing you mention. I'm pretty sure you can double Shaq (if you do it early enough) and not give up easy hoops at the rim. I'm just not sure the Pistons had a well practiced scheme to do that. Maybe Ben wouldn't play that way and Flip knuckled under. Maybe they just rotated poorly when they did double. Don't know.

Regardless, with a quick double and the long arms of Tay and Sheed, the Pistons ought to be able to defend Miami a lot better than they did last year. :fingerscr

2. himat

himat Bench Warmer

That's the problem. You just can't gaurd Shaq one on one. Dallas was very succsesful by surrounding Shaq with 2 guys.

3. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Yeah, Shaq aint the problem as much as Posey, Haslem and Wade. Plus a small dash of WChocolate and Mitten.
    I think Magic is a 7 seed. Wiz is the 8.
    Flip "jump shooter" Saunders doesn't change, 62 wins. Finals baby!
    I have no problem with this: 82-0, 16-0...Parade!

4. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Out of all these predictions, I think I'll concur with this one.:fingerscr

5. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

No, guarding Shaq one on one all the time is not a good thing to do. You must mix it up with Shaq because he can pass very well out of a double and Wade for one knew exactly what to do when Shaq was doubled. Big head Antoine Walker also knocked down some huge jumpers out of Shaq`s passes from double teams.

I agree, the Pistons did not have a scheme to consistently and effecitvely double Shaq, and defensive rotation was almost nonexistent at times when they did.

This is something they must work on because Riley has some weapons if Shaq is doubled and the opponent must be ready for them.

At the end of the day IMO, Flip doesn`t know how to come up with a defensive scheme to stop Shaq or anyone else for that matter.

Maybe the new assistant coach does!!!!!!

6. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Unfortunately we're past the phase in Shaq's career when he can be flustered by the double. He's gotten way too wily in his old age and seems pretty good at finding the shooters / cutters. It would be helpful if he would panic sometimes and toss the ball into the seats.

It would be interesting to compare the finals against the Lakers to the ECF against the Heat to see what went right / wrong.

7. Pistons_1337

Pistons_1337 Second Round Draft Pick

People people people
    Dont count out the pistons at all but I love it!! history shows that when a big free agent moves to another team every off season every one jumps on there band wagon. In the pass 5 years only 2 players made a huge impact Shaq and Nash. Ben is not a Super star he will get Expose this year watch he cant check shaq I wish people would stop saying that he can lol. Ben cant even check Dunken, Kmart, KG, or Sheed. So you dont think Chicago is not going to have Ben check them players oh yes they are and this time he dont have Sheed for back up. Pistons are a TEAM one person dont make a TEAM. No way in hell the Pistons will only have a 45ish Season this year. Did we win 60+ games last season playing grind it out games night after night last season like we did in the pass I dont think so and was we hmmm... one of the top scoring teams in the NBA also and did our Defence go down last season?it sure did. Its not like when we lost GHill we had no body after that. Also I dont think Ben avg 16+ points a game in that season to. So dont count us out people the rest of the team still know each other very well.

Im So happy we got the chip back and people not picking us now that dont do anything but motivate the Pistons. Pistions all ways Prove people wrong year after year and well this year sure we lost in the ECF but guess what we got there better then getting pop early in the playoffs. Also the East still is weak to dont forget that lol.

So heres my Prediction.

(TNT Picks the Heat to repeat So do everyone else lol)

1) Pistons
    2) Heat
    3) Cavs
    4) Nets
    5) Chicago
    6) Wizards
    7) Magic
    8) Philly if AI dont get Traded
    9) Pacers
    10) Bucks
    I can hear the story lines now....
    The heat will be cockey like the pistions was last year and wade or shaq out for a long time due to getting hurt I think wade get hurt becuase he drives to the hole alot. When MJ started to get hurt from going to the hole all the time his jumper got skick. All season you will hear them pistons still on top then you will see signs at the piston games on TNT saying "Ben Who?" and "Weres the Fro now?" Pistion Prove every one wrong and get to the Finals. The shaq will fall to the Pistons once agin Can You Digit.... Can you Digit.....
    Pistons and SA to game 7. Thats far as im going...

8. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Can you Dig It? Sucka!!!! Man, this makes me want to strike the Booker T pose and go for the spinnerooney (it has to rank up there with the worm and the people's elbow as the most ludicrous move ever invented) but then I'd get tired and have to drink kool aid.

Ok I'm done pimpin' the WWE circa 2002-03.

9. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

It is a big mistake to count on the Heat getting cocky like we did. Riley knows his biggest challenge this year is avoiding that, and we have every reason to believe he'll do a good job with that. The Heat will never be as hungry as they were last year, but they will also never be as complacent as we were in 2005 and 2006.

10. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Especially with Riley at the reigns.

11. easybuckets

easybuckets First Round Draft Pick

Throw the bench at Shaq,use DD, Maxeil, Dupree, anyone who doesn't get many minutes and hack that Shaq a lot of times , and foul him before he can shoot. And in Chicago Hack Ben A little. They deserve it..Take advantage of a 20mil and 15mil player neither who can shoot free throws. If Wade is going to get all those free throws, Give him some hard fouls instead of just breathing on him. If you are going to get the whistle anyway make the foul worth it. Some with Lebron. If they are going to go to the line so many times, make the fouls count.

12. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

My Prediction, similar to Linwood's. I will go 57 wins, Pistons will start off very slow and at the end of the season finish with a flurry.

Nazr & Flip Murray will surprise many as well as team chemistry.

13. bezeach

bezeach First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

official prediction: 55 wins. I'll save this post so when it happens I have proof!:nod:

14. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I predict that the Pistons will play 82 regular season games next season, that Flip Saunders will coach in less than half of them, and the bench will play in less than a third of them.