Lions Business season begins

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Ozarkruffrider, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

Try the words "small cats" instead of the above highlighted word.
    We have ladies who regularly post here.......
  2. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

"KJ also had very poor peripheral vision and would often miss an opening just to the side of where he hit." qoute Congo
    I noticed that to. But you can't say KJ was soft. He was a C+, B- kinda guy.
  3. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Yeah. Slippy and Jammer get really offended by that kind of language. Let's show the gals some respect.

KJ...Like Jammer said, I didn't see that one coming. I just don't get this team. Now what? We need a lineman AND a running back.
  4. detteam

detteam All-Star

Correction: "...linemen AND a running back."
  5. Darth Tater

I stand corrected!
  6. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I couldn't disagree with you more on this one. IMO, KJ INITIATED contact. He was usually the one doing the hitting. I think that was part of his injury problems. He's a bit undersized to be a bruising running back, but he had the mentality for it.

How can you say he was soft? He busted his butt to come back from potentially career threatening injuries and was able to return to action well before expected.

I agree with you on the poor vision part though. Although I do think he was getting a bit better at that as well as developing some patience to wait for his blocks (and I use that term very loosely) to develop.
  7. congoman

congoman First Round Draft Pick

My apologies ladies.
  8. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

Well, unfortunately, keeping him for the last year of his contract would have been a huge gamble if he would have gotten hurt again. Then where would we be? His toughness and heart is not in question, but his ability to hit the hole and make plays afterwards are. Most RB's only last about 3 or 4 years anyway. The Colts GM doesn't keep any RB past 4 years. Most teams that have "contacted" him are checking on his availability. Lions let him go because he would not have been ready by the season's start and he simply was not that productive.

Cutting him now is actually a favor to him so he can be picked up by a team so as to get acclamated to their offense. KJ really is now to be considered a 3rd down back or a 35-40% a game back to spell the bellcow.

btw, the figure I got is from Hondo and his sources. They said more like $3M. With other Likely To Be Earned money that possibly could have been his this year I'm guessing.
  9. Ozarkruffrider

I do not understand either why Raiola gets dissed so much. All national pundits, ex-players like Randy Cross, coaches and such all agree the guy is excellent. Even Urlacher voted for him to be on the Pro Bowl over his own Center. Rogers and Edwards though, I agree. Rogers has no heart and Edwards was "Darko" in practice and not on the field.
  10. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Raiola's first couple of years had big learning curve. He's 5 years in now.
  11. jammertime

Hey, nothing to apologize for. Last time I checked, it was still legal to disagree with someone.:MusicBigGrin:

Exactly where we are right now I guess. Having KJ on or off the team shouldn't impact if we take a RB in the draft. If the Lions are set on drafting a RB, I'd still rather have KJ this season than Bell, Calhoun or Cason.

I don't buy any of that. I really hate the message that this sends too. A guy that battles hard, plays through injuries and gives 100% effort to get back when he is injured and this is how he's "rewarded"?

While he may not be able to set in instantly (due to his injury) and start, I don't think he's now considered a backup. He's only 25 years old. Are you saying that because he's now "damaged goods" or because he isn't good enough?

Now all of THAT I agree with. I like Raiola. I think that he's an excellent (although slightly undersized) Centre. He's durable, tough, smart and gives 100% effort.
  12. Ozarkruffrider

I know you may not agree with the cut, but what I'm telling you is not so much my opinion as it's more answers to questions as far as I know from my sources and real football experts I talk to on Sirius.

Personally, I agree that his career here was mishandled. When he was healthy, he wasn't used. When we needed him he was hurt. He always had a problem hitting holes, but he was learning. Only time will really tell if we should have spent the money to keep him on the payroll. If he winds up with the Eagles, he will be successful behind a much better offense. We're just too used to Barry still running and running for all those years without injury.

Two other RB's of note that are seeing the same problem: Duece McCallister and Cadillac Williams. And so are their teams.
  13. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

Raiola is small and whenever I focus on him during the game, he is being driven back by bigger defensive linemen. I also see him missing assignments and double teams. He'll be driven back into the running back, or at least into his running lane. I just don't see his skill set.
  14. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

On behalf of Tater, Jammer, Linwood and Slippy, the ladies accept your apology. :)

Never draft a center without a neck.
  15. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I heard there is 12 teams interested in KJ !!! Might not be a #1 but a good B/U.
  16. jammertime

Center? Center? What's a center?

Up here in the Great White North we call it a centre. Common Roscoe, you're better than that.:canada:
  17. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Oh geez. That's going to put Tater's undies in a twist.
  18. Darth Tater

Actually, I'm not going to argue with Jammer. Who says Cannuckians don't know football?

[​IMG]
  19. jammertime

Exactly. There are 100% more Jammer's in the NFL than there are Darth Taters.
  20. Darth Tater

Wanna rethink that one, Blizzard breath? I had quite the football career as a young spud...

[​IMG]