Lions Business season begins

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Ozarkruffrider, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

Duckett was signed within a week or 2 into the FA period. KJ has not been.

2. Ozarkruffrider

On the lighter side:

Lions Starting to Finalize Draft Plans

By Hondo S. Carpenter Sr.
    The Lions are in a position that they, as of late, are not accustomed to: picking outside the top ten. Not to beat a dead horse, but to have picked so many times in the top ten in recent history makes it simply sad when you judge the franchise fairly. With that said, the Lions are at number 15 and their draft board is loaded with a lot of names, at a lot of different positions, that they think can immediately help them.
    The pressure is on that this franchise is moving in the right direction, but progress must be clearly demonstrated. The Lions drafting has been pathetic, and this is a draft that Millen and Marinelli have worked on together like none other (void of pressure from various internal political issues) and the optimism is very high for success.
    The Lions are considering a plethora of options, not the least of which is acquiring another team’s pick (lower than 15) and attempting to get two immediate starters and contributors in the first round. Although that is not a certainty at this point, the way several mock drafts are positioned, it is very feasible that this could happen. Two sources, one within the Lions and one from another AFC team have confirmed that the Lions have contacted them about the cost of such a move. The Lions will keenly be watching to see if players they have pegged for value drop to those spots.
    I have gotten a lot of questions about the possibility of trading down and it could happen, but the Lions need bodies and unless someone is really dropping and they know they can get him and still acquire picks, don’t hold your breathe waiting.
    I find it funny when people say, “This is the guy they want.” Well, of course, there are guys they want, but they aren’t sitting at 15 with only one guy in mind. There are several key players that they like, and unlike the past, this draft is not as accurate to pick because of their position farther away from the top.
    There is a Lions receiver that could get traded, but contrary to inaccurate reports it isn’t Roy Williams. The Lions, as I previously broke, are going to make an all out blitz at Roy Williams to resign him, but if they are unable to do so will franchise him. If someone was stupid and offered something crazy I am sure Millen would jump at it. I don’t expect it, and neither do they. The Lions receiver that is available is Shaun McDonald. Although nothing is imminent, there is interest and the Lions are listening.
    One NFL team that likes and wants Mac says it would take a third rounder. “Yeah, we talked with Matt and with Roy and CJ and Furrey, we could get Mac. The problem is that a third is a little high for us at this point.” I certainly wouldn’t be surprised if he is traded, but again, there is no deal that is done or closed…yet.
    Unlike past years, the Lions will get to watch and see who falls. They are in desperate need, but they also have a luxury here. That is watching and seeing what others do as they strategize inside the Allen Park facility.
    There is one thing for certain. There are four positions that they absolutely will not select in the first round. Wide receiver, QB, P and kicker are those spots. All others are on the board. The Lions are acutely aware that they do not have a number one running back, but they also know that they don’t necessarily have to do that in round one, unless it is someone they are in love with. In fact I was told last night, “There are a lot of great backs that go out of the first round. We just think we have to get one of the ones we like. The latter the better, but we can’t wait if he is there and is at a spot we think we have to pull the trigger.”

There was some talk inside the brain trust about moving up and getting Jake Long, but they didn’t want to spend that kind of money with so many needs.

So what are the options? I know that you won’t like this, but there are many. If things fall as planned, they could stay pat and make no trades. I don’t expect that and neither do they. At this point (and understand that as the board develops this is only a possibility), I think the draft will fall favorably the way the Lions want and they will get two first round picks this year. Not a prediction, just what I think will happen if the board falls their way, they suspect it will.

3. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I wanted Joe Thomas so badly last season and when they took CJ I was so sad. I just knew that their passing yards couldn't get any better with him (actually fell). My second choice was Adrian Petersen. Two starters would be nice. Interesting that they NOW believe they have WRs to trade when just last season they couldn't get enough of them. Sad that these guys change philosophy almost every season.

4. Ozarkruffrider

They shouldn't have trusted Martz ego so much.

5. detteam

detteam All-Star

Something you'll never see at a Lions camp...too bad :(

Harbaugh's Ravens brawl at minicamp - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

6. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Interesting in a draft deep in Oline they trade like mad. But last year you couldn't deal at all.

7. Nemo

I really don't feel comfortable with this year's picks.

8. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The more I hear about them, the more I like them.

9. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Here's how I feel about the franchise:

The theory of learned helplessness was then extended to human behavior, providing a model for explaining depression, a state characterized by a lack of affect and feeling. Depressed people became that way because they learned to be helpless. Depressed people learned that whatever they did, is futile. During the course of their lives, depressed people apparently learned that they have no control.

Learned Helplessness

10. Nemo

Does this spread to their fans?

11. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Yeah Tate, you learn to get over it but you never get over it. You take it with you to the grave. Like luggage.

12. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You can take luggage with you? Man, I'm gonna go out right now to buy some seriously large luggage.

13. Ozarkruffrider

Maybe you guys will feel a little bit better about our picks:

I found this on another site. It's from College Football News off Scout.com:

17 17 Detroit (from Kansas City) Gosder Cherilus, OT Boston College
    One of the high risers after a good off-season, he's a 6-7, 315-pound athlete who destroys defenders when he gets the chance. He'll bust his tail to get better and will be coachable. The concern will be how well he handles a No. 1 pass rusher if he plays on the left side. More than fine if he spends his career on the right, there are concerns that the Virginia Tech games might have shown the real player he is.
    CFN Projection: First Round CFN Position Rank: 6

14 45 Detroit Jordon Dizon, LB Colorado
    An undersized, ultra-productive tackler who came up with a whopping 297 stops, most of them solo, over the last two seasons. He's always working, has a tremendous motor, and finds his way to the ball over and over again. He's a good athlete, but he's not an elite one and it'll be asking a lot to hold up in a 16-game schedule at just 5-11 and 229 pounds. He plays through everything, including dehydration issues, and he'll have to prove he can handle the duties on the outside, but he'll be a major-league producer in the right system.
    CFN Projection: Third to Fourth Round CFN Position Rank: 8

1 64 Detroit (from Miami) Kevin Smith, RB UCF
    Would Smith be considered a first rounder if he was Kevin Smith, Florida instead of Kevin Smith, UCF? While his competition will be questioned, playing in Conference USA, he produced against everyone including NC State (217 yards and two touchdowns), Texas (149 yards and two touchdowns), and Mississippi State (119 yards, but on 35 carries). George O'Leary and the Knights weren't afraid to overuse their star getting him a whopping 450 carries and 24 catches last season, and he cranked out 2,567 rushing yards and 29 touchdowns despite having all 11 defenders and the waterboy focused on stopping him. He's a producer, but he'll have a short shelf life if he's asked to be a No. 1 back.
    CFN Projection: Late Second To Early Third Round CFN Position Rank: 7

24 87 Detroit Andre Fluellen, DT Florida State
    He's not going to be your star tackle, but he'll be great at the third man in or next to a star. Extremely quick and with the athleticism to grow into a top interior pass rusher, if he gets the right coaching, he has a ton of upside. However, he'll get shoved around with anyone with any strength. He's not huge and he can't stay healthy, and he's not the playmaker he should be for a player with his athleticism.
    CFN Projection: Third Round CFN Position Rank: 8

29 92 Detroit (from Dallas) Cliff Avril, OLB/DE Purdue
    What do you want to do with him? A huge linebacker at close to 6-3, 253 pounds, he can be used on the end and can be an ideal outside player in the 3-4. Big enough to be moved inside if needed, his versatility will keep him on a team for a long time. Strong, not just big, he can handle himself well against the more physical teams. However, he needs to be tougher against the run. He's not quite a good enough athlete to dominate on the outside; he'll be a jack-of-all-trades, master of none.
    CFN Projection: Late Fourth Round To Early Fifth CFN Position Rank: 9 (as a LB)

1 136 Detroit (from trade) Kenneth Moore, WR Wake Forest
    The former running back turned into an ultra-productive receiver in a non-passing offense. Despite being the focus of every secondary, he still caught 98 passes for 1,101 yards and five touchdowns with a few monster games when he caught everything in sight. He still needs some work to be a pro level route runner and he could use some overall fine-tuning, but he could become a very nice possession receiver who keeps the chains moving.
    CFN Projection: Fourth Round CFN Position Rank: 19

11 146 Detroit (from trade) Jerome Felton, FB Furman
    A good big-sized running back at 240 pounds, he can thump a little bit in short-yardage situations. While he's not fast, he's quick enough to get through the hole and crank out a few big runs. The problem is his blocking. He's not an NFL runner and he has to prove he can be physical enough to make a difference.
    CFN Projection: Sixth Round CFN Position Rank: NR

9 216 Detroit Landon Cohen, DT Ohio
    Too small at around six-feet and 280 pounds, he's a good athlete who was a solid producer at the MAC level. He's just not big enough to be a regular pro tackle. He's not enough of an interior pass rusher to be a regular in a rotation, but he could be worth developing.
    CFN Projection: Free Agent CFN Position Rank: 31

11 218 Detroit (from trade) Caleb Campbell, SS Army
    A superior tackling machine, he was the Army defense for the last few years and a tough defender who did a little of everything well. More like a smallish linebacker at 6-2 and 229 pounds, he hits like it. Not the best athlete, he struggles in coverage and missed a lot of plays by trying to do everything. He's a leader and a hard worker, but he'll have to show something special right away to stay on a team.
    CFN Projection: Free Agent CFN Position Rank: 25

14. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Yeah, after I posted that D rating I looked around and found some positive ratings elsewhere.
    To bad we couldn't get better than 6th best anything.

15. detteam

detteam All-Star

16. Ozarkruffrider

You and me both!

17. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

18. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

19. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

You realize at 6'5" 240 lb, 20 years ago you played middle LB or TE not wide receiver.

20. bezeach

bezeach First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

The Detroit Lions have confirmed that free agent running back Rudi Johnson has agreed to terms on a one-year contract with the team. Because the deal was struck after 4 p.m., after the league offices closed, the signing won't be official until Tuesday morning.
    Johnson, who rushed for 1,000 yards in three straight seasons with the Cincinnati Bengals (2004-06), is expected to replace Tatum Bell as the No. 2 running back behind starter Kevin Smith. The Lions aren't expected to announce any roster moves until Tuesday. The addition of the eight-year veteran might mean the Lions will use more of a platoon system at running back.
    link:Rudi Johnson signs with Lions - Detroit Lions: News, Blogs, Photos, Audio, Schedule & Stats - MLive.com