Lions draft thread-2008

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Darth Tater, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Lions are on the board...who will they pick in the first round?

2. Darth Tater

And they trade their #1 & #3 to KC for a #1, #3, and #5. I guess everyone they wanted was gone anyhow.

3. Darth Tater

Gosder Cherilus? WTF? He wasn't supposed to go this high.

4. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Who the Hell is Godsend Cheevious!??? Typical of Lions: ESPN didnt even show it live..They were in a commercial and rewound iit back. :pound::pound:
    This is my last serious post ever on this thread. How can I take serious a team that thinks ITS a joke!??

5. Darth Tater

Hey, please don't shoot :makmiday:the messenger thread! :MusicBigGrin:

6. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

All I can say is WOW. That was a reach.

7. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

:pound::pound:I just said that for entertainment purposes only...just like Millen..

8. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Hey, at least they drafted offensive line. And not a receiver.

9. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Well this draft is officially in the toilet.

With the 64th pick in the draft the Lions select Silent Bob.

[​IMG]

10. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Seems like a lot of guys they have drafted are undersized, except their first rounder. No superstars in this bunch, but you don't necessarily need that. The Lions need guys that don't get injured two games into the season.

I'm going to hold off on analyzing this bunch until I see them wearing the Hawaiian blue and performing on the field.

11. congoman

congoman First Round Draft Pick

I like what the Lions are doing. They are not taking the obvious guys with big reps but taking the mean and nasty alternative. I think this will prove to be a much more productive approach. The draft is a crap-shoot under the best of conditions. Who is to say this approach isn't right?:bump2:

12. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You could be right, congoman. The Lions got rid of some "star" players in the off-season. They are trying to create more of a team atmosphere and a tough work ethic, in the mold of Coach Marinelli. It sounds good, but this, of course, the Lions....we'll see what happens.

13. jammertime

I actually like the Lions' overall draft. I do think they reached a bit with their first 2 picks though.

The draft just didn't fall the Lions' way this year. All of the guys they targeted were gone before they picked in the first 2 rounds. I think they did ok with what they had to work with. I would have liked to see them move down a bit more in the first round though, but with the way that the OTs were flying off the board (3 in the first 14 picks), I guess they wanted to make sure they got their man. (A bit surprised Otah fell as much as he did).

In the 3rd round, they moved up to the first pick in the round to ensure that they were able to grab one of the RBs that they had targeted. From what I've read, they decided to pass on Mendenhall because they felt that they could get a really solid back in the 3rd round. With RBs going 22, 23, 24 in the first round and then Rice and Forte going in the 2nd, the only back left that they liked was Kevin Smith. They moved up to #1 in the 3rd to ensure that they got him.

Apparently, Smith really wanted to be a Lion (:pound::pound::pound:). No seriously. Read this.

14. jammertime

See, I told you he wanted to play for the Lions! :MusicBigGrin:

Front page of espn.com: ESPN - Lions pick RB Smith with first pick of third round - NFL

Of course, Barry set the record in 2 fewer games and with 50-100 less carries than Smith had, but still, quite an impressive accomplishment for the new Lion.

15. jammertime

THE LIONS GET A STANDING O FOR THEIR 7TH ROUND PICK

Granted, other teams are usually pretty happy with Matt Millen's draft picks, but this time, it's for a good reason.

Lions save the day for final pick of Army safety Campbell - Detroit Lions: News, Blogs, Photos, Audio, Schedule & Stats - MLive.com

A bit more here as well.

16. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I am going to analyze this bunch based on Millen's prior performance. They are undersized projects who will not make an impact for this coming season, except maybe one will be a starter this season. I think we're looking at a 4-12 season...

17. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Poor C.Campbell if doesn't make the team or Practice squad he's off to the burning sands. From IEDs

18. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Detroit Lions
    Picks: OL Gosder Cherilus, LB Jordon Dizon, RB Kevin Smith, DL Andre Fluellen, DL Cliff Avril, WR Kenneth Moore, FB Jerome Felton, DL Landon Cohen, DB Caleb Campbell
    Positives: Dizon, Smith
    Negatives: Missing on first-round targets and reaching for Cherilus.
    Bottom line: D. Detroit addressed most needs but missed out on its three targeted players in the first round – Derrick Harvey, Jonathan Stewart and Jerod Mayo – then traded back to No. 17 and still reached for Cherilus. Dizon is smallish but consistent. Moving up for Smith in the third round was intriguing. He could be a good value there, but it’s a concern that he rarely had a dominating yards-per-carry average against quality competition. Other than Cherilus, it’s hard to see a lot of room to grow in this class.
    -
    We get the lowest NFC grade. D

19. b-diddy

b-diddy Second Round Draft Pick

ill settle on a bad grade. seems to me the 'experts' usually grade the lions high on getting great value for the picks... we know how that worked out.

i cant speak on the value of our picks, but i atleast like the idea. meat and potatos. im sure we probably could have done better (seems pretty unanmous that we would have been better off with albert or otah than cherilus- i have no idea), but building through the draft this way is the first steps on the long road back to mediocrity. maybe not next year, but i do believe we have a 500 season in our future.

20. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Good stuff, B-Diddy. I can tell you've got a good feel for the Lions organization.