Lions First Round Busts

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by jammertime, Sep 20, 2006.

1. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

2. jammertime

MLive.com: Everything Michigan

This is just getting rediculous. What the hell is going on?? Did Mike Williams sleep with Rod's wife or something? Why is he so far in the dog house?

They wanted him to practice harder and show more effort and according to several of his teammates, he has been. Yet they sign Az Hakim and play him after 4 days and undrafted free agent Shaun Bodiford who has been injured since the preseason and has never so much as taken a snap in the league got into the game while Williams sat on the sidelines yet again.

This is the freaking Darko experiment all over again. How the hell is the guy supposed to show what he can do if he doesn't even get a chance? He's starting to show it in practice, but he's going to get discouraged again if they don't at least give him a sniff of the field. I'm not saying plug him right in as the #2, but at least give the guy a chance to sink or swim during an actual game!

I just don't get it. :confused:
  3. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Two words... Offensive linemen
  4. jammertime

Man, that was close. I almost thought that Mike Williams might be turning the corner.

5. jammertime

Tom Kowalski tallies up the "dead money" the Lions have paid out during the Millen era.

You can say a lot of things about the Fords, but I don't agree with the people that say WCF isn't willing to spend money, that he's cheap and that he doesn't care about developing a winning team because the stadium is always packed regardless.

WCF is a bad owner IMO, but not because he's cheap. Because he's too passive, loyal to a fault and stubborn.

The Lions have wasted over ONE HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS in the last 6 seasons. That's not what the spent. That's what they wasted.

6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Yeah but it was the fans money. In business, there is a big difference between over spending to make a profit, and flat out operating at a loss.

Yeah, they've squandered money, but without a baseline (several other teams) to reference, what does $100 million really mean?

I know the Fords spend a lot of money. The Lions are a cash cow.

The gravy train is running out of steam. :)
  7. jammertime

I wasn't trying to imply that they're operating at a loss. I'm sure they're still making a pretty penny off this bunch of losers. But they could be making a lot more by playing it safe.

Its clear that this team has one of the most loyal fan bases in the history of sports. A 23-70 record with no end in sight, yet we're all still here. You can't get much worse than that. Yet the Silverdome was always packed and Ford Field has been sold out every game since it opened.

I just don't agree with people that say all WCF cares about is making a profit and that's the reason this organization is a joke. This organization is a joke because WCF is clueless.
  8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Absolutely Jammer. I just wanted to make sure no one reading this came to the conclusion that the Fords were in someway hurting for their incompetence.
  9. detteam

detteam All-Star

The Silverdome might have seemed 'packed', but the Lions often fell victim to the NFL's 72 hour 'local broadcast' black-out rule. That's why WCF built a 20,000 seat smaller venue in Ford Field.

My hat is off to Lamar Hunt in his passing today...an owner that made a difference to all of professional football. My prayers to his family.