Lions news per Hondo Carpenter (and Spartan news)

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Ozarkruffrider, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

I know some of you are Spartan fans so the link has a lot of info also on the BBall team and even has some info on Notre Dame/Charlie Wiess.
    - » Interesting News and Notes from In and Around the Spartan Nation
    I'll quote the Lions info--pretty eye opening considering that MLive and the Detroit News are reporting that Lewand could be hired as the GM.

1. Marinelli/Lions Monte Kiffin is on his way to Tennessee with his son Lane. One thing that I have heard twice in the last 24 hours from two separate sources is that the Bucs can stomach the loss because they are VERY CONFIDENT that Rod Marinelli will be fired and Gruden would willing take Marinelli back as the DC.
    2. More Lions Speculation is mounting from sources around the league that the Lions will look outside of the organization for a GM. Word is also that WCF is being, “Pushed hard,” to retain Tom Lewand from his son as President. If that is the case (and I believe it is) this will go over like a lead balloon. One highly placed source inside the NFL told me this morning, “There is no way he can do that. If Mayhew is not retained and Lewand is how in the world could that be justified? The Lions fans are loyal, but they aren’t stupid. He has to clean house.”
    3. More Lions and this may be good news? Outside of WCF doing all Lions fans a favor and selling the team, there is a next best option. WCF should fire and clean house and hire Scott Pioli from the Patriots. He is a brilliant football mind and can and will surround himself with great people. Pioli is the son-in-law of Bill Parcells and is a former Executive of the Year. WCF is a good man (I am so sick of having to keep saying that, but you have to or people think you hate the guy) but he is a meddler that has tied the hands of his GM’s for years. I hate to say it, but fans come up with pie in the skies hopes of names that they want, but good football people are not coming here or anywhere to be second guessed and over ruled by an owner who hasn’t and can’t won anything. If Ford won’t sell the team, the Lions best option is to head to New England and pay Pioli $5 million per year to be President and GM. Give him total control, in writing with full football authority. Sell Pioli that WCF and Jr. will stay out of the decision-making. Now you ask for what good news I might have? Pioli is interested in the Lions job if he would have total and complete authority. He’s interested and not talking to him would be dumb. However, we have come to expect dumb moves from this organization.
  2. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

WCF: I want Joey Harrington for my QB and 1st round pick.
    Mourningwig: F' it ...
  3. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

- » News and Notes from in and Around the Spartan Nation 12/4 Edition

· Lions Speculation nationally continues to grow after my report about the Bucs being willing to let Monte Kiffin join his son Lane at UT because of the possibility of Rod Marinelli going back to the bay to be the DC.
    · Lions Retaining Martin Mayhew in some capacity is not a bad thing for the Lions. GM? If they hire a new President with a strong personnel background who runs the show that would be fine. Mayhew is a good man and extremely intelligent. He didn’t agree with all of Millen’s decisions, so you can’t blame him for everything. If Tom Lewand is back with the team in any capacity, then that is a clear signal to the fans that business is as usual in Detroit with the Lions.
    · Lions There is a lot of talk about the Thanksgiving game getting moved. Including from this site. As a life long Lions fan I agree that it is time to move it until Ford either A) Sells the team or B) Fires and cleans house and brings in someone like Scott Pioli. He then makes him in charge of all football operations and puts in writing he and his son WILL NOT MEDDLE. The problem however is that even though Ford Motor Company doesn’t own the Lions, they are certainly tied to it by ownership. The NFL first and foremost is about revenue and one NFL source said it best when he told me yesterday afternoon, “That game isn’t going to go anywhere as long as Ford Motor keeps spending huge amounts of dough with us, or Ford sells the team.” There you go fans, welcome back to the real world.
    · Lions WR Mike Furrey had every right to be angry at how he was placed on IR. It is another example of an organization is disarray. When he heard, and remember they didn’t tell him he HEARD, he was in shock. Here is a guy that has been mistreated since his first season as a Lion and all he has done is work tirelessly in the community and gave his all? I will have more on this later. The Lions have issues among many of their players with their perception of the organization, is there any wonder why the fans do? In the interest of full disclosure, Mike and Koren his wife are my friends, but I can tell you this. Mike has told me when he couldn’t go and when he says he can, I don’t doubt him. He is fine and can play. Is this really how you treat your players? What a JOKE!
  4. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

On the Lions, I am all for them hiring the Patriots guy. Clean House and then ownership needs to keep their noses out of it.

On MSU, yep. Looks like the Capital One where Georgia will kill us. That QB Hoyer can't beat a good team. It will be ugly. They will key on Ringer and dare Hoyer to complete a pass on them...which he never can. I'm hoping that somehow the Capital One picks Iow over us. Then we get to play in the Outback (still a New Years day game) against South Carolina, whom i believe we can handle.

Two blowouts are enough (PSU and OSU). Looks like we gotta take one more A.. whoopin' though.
  5. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

MSU is [​IMG]

I mean to say...they are really [​IMG]

There's no doubt about it...they will be [​IMG]

if they play Georgia.
  6. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Didn't think Mayhew was the prob.
    Still I hope for Pioli ?
  7. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Did Ford Motor Co also ask congress to help them with a bailout of the Lions?;)