Lions Sign McCown

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by KP, Mar 16, 2006.

1. KP

KP First Round Draft Pick

Who is this guy? Anyone got any links?
  2. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Well that officially closes the door on Joey Harrington.
  3. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Draft day trade to move up?
  4. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

Well, I guess that means I have to find a new guy on the Lions that I really like and think has potential to support when everyone else spits on them.

Good luck Joey.
  5. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

6. jammertime

I 2nd that. Joey was setup to fail from the very beginning and was made the scapegoat for the entire team's failures.

Bly is a coward for his public attack of Joey.

Joey has been nothing but classy his entire time with the Lions. I wish him the best of luck.
  7. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

8. DaviaG-Rap

DaviaG-Rap First Round Draft Pick

I like the move personally. Certainly you can give all kinds of excuses as to why Harrington didn't work out, but it's time for him to move on. I have never respected Joey's game, and I'm not sure I ever will- even though he is a cool guy.

I don't know much about Kitna or McCown. Hopefully, one of those guys can emerge as the undisputed starter and we can avoid any QB controversies. If our offense looks anything like the Rams, and our defense looks anything like TB or NYJ- we should compete for that top spot in the division. I won't get my hopes up though. I learned my lesson last year.

What can go wrong...will go wrong for the Detroit Football Lions.
  9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Praise be to {insert your deity's name here}.
  10. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

Not that Joey was the answer but are either one of these guys they signed?Would have liked to see Joey under Martz but with the team against him last year cutting him loose was the right move.Both the team and Joey getting a fresh start.Here we go again.
  11. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Man, have I longed for the day we wave bye-bye to Joey. :laugh:
  12. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Where does Joel get the manhood to ask for a release or trade? If he was smart he would beat out these irresolute QBs we just brought in. Kitna never put it together in 9 seasons. Maybe one winning season. And Cade is like a two year rookie. SKing is just a good athlete.
  13. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

kitna AND mccown? interesting.
  14. roscoe36

Rumour has it this conversation happened early last pre-season, when Joey approached Matt Millen about competition from Jeff Garcia...

[​IMG]
  15. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Millen: But you must be strong DJ. Should the forces of good get your coach fired or Dre says the players have quit. Its not your fault. Your just the QB. And I'll always have your back. My long lost SON !
  16. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

Sorry Lion fans. I'm not too thrilled right now. #1, we just signed an Arizona qb that they were not interested in resigning. Nuff said right there. But there is more. Then we sign another 3 yards per carry running back (Harris). Again, I thot we had about 4 of those guys signed already. Last year at the beginning of the year, inspite of my optimism, I was amazed that we did not address our offensive line woes. To me, this should be our #2 priority instead of another backup running back.

Now concerning our #1 priority, again, why would we want this Arizona qb when they weren't even interested in resigning him? Just does not make sense to me. I think we should have signed Kitna (not for 4 years though) and another veteran like Garcia as our experienced geezers. Then I would have drafted either Cutler or Young and our future qb to develop. Therefore we at least have a potential HOF qb along with some serious vet experience to bide some time. This Arizona qb has zero HOF potential and isn't anymore of an upgrade then an old geezer vet.
  17. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Maybe we can get a pick or a player for JH? Or perhaps a waterboy. With that contract and resume it will be hard to move him.
  18. roscoe36

Hopefully Joey is cut on Monday. I just want to move on. Gimme some other guys so that I will watch at least the first 5 games with some sense of hope for change.
  19. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

If we could cut his pay some, I would keep him. Doubt if he'd go for that. Then again I'm confused, can he lead or is he a waste? Never mind time to move on. Martz can get 8 wins with SKing.
  20. jammertime

If Martz can get 8 wins from King, then he probably would have been able to get a minimum of 10-12 wins from Harrington.

Had the Lions not F'd things up so poorly, we wouldn't have had to over pay 2 backup QB's PLUS bring in a 3rd that wasn't even in the league last year. Which would have freed up a lot more cash and focus to sign some players in the positions that we actually needed help in.

I'm sorry, like Joey or hate him, the Lions mishandled him from the beginning. This organization is a joke and I'm EXTREMELY close to washing my hands of them altogether - something I've NEVER done with ANY team before in my life. I've been a passionate fan of 1 team in each sport my entire life. I'm as far from a bandwagoner or fair weather fan as they come. But this team is pushing me to the brink!!!!! :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: