Lions to draft Stafford

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Buckeyes#1, Apr 8, 2009.

1. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I think with good ILBs that is an easy tackle along with the SS.
  2. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The draw play and the screen. We ALWAYS seem to get beat by the screen!

Third and 13 and they convert it on a screen or draw against us 9 out of 10 times.
  3. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Well at least they don't kick a TD on us.
  4. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Here's a prediction on who the Lions shoulda taken.
  5. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Georgia play a Pro-Style offense too. Way too early to make the Stafford-Sanchez comparison IMO.
  6. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

-
    Jets were ready for a rookie QB.
  7. Tha Locstah

Tha Locstah First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

IMO, we shouldn't even have taken a QB in the first place! Too many other areas of weakness, most importantly the O-line, to be throwing a rookie in there.

That's one big difference in making a Sanchez/Stafford comparison. Sanchez plays behind one of the best O-lines in the L while Stafford plays behind Reynold's Wrap.
  8. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Yea...I agree with you. I woulda considered QB after about 5 other positions.

Reynolds Wrap does claim "flexible strength", much like the Lions claim a Professional O-line.
  9. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

Me thinks we haven't heard the last of this kneecap dealio.
  10. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Mel Kiper just re-graded the 2009 NFL draft for each team. Immediately after the draft, he gave the Lions a "B-". Now, he has upgraded them to "A-".

It's nice to find something positive from this season.

11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

This is really great news.
  12. jammertime

I know it's still very early, but this has easily the best draft the Lions have had in a LONG time. Definitely and infinitely better than any of Millen's drafts.

Rd 1a - Matthew Stafford - has looked very good at times and like a rookie other times. Keep in mind that he is one of the youngest QBs to ever start a game in the NFL. He is also only the 2nd rookie QB in NFL history to throw for 5 TDs in a game.

Rd 1b - Brandon Pettigrew - is already an excellent blocking tight end, was just starting to become a threat in the passing game when he went down to injury for the season.

Rd 2 - Louis Delmas - 2nd on the team in tackles, leads all rookie defensive backs (and is third overall) in tackles by a rookie in the NFL, has a fumble recovery for a TD, an INT for a TD and a safety on the season, set the record for the longest INT return by a rookie in Lions history. Hits like a "missle" (his nickname).

Rd 3 - DeAndre Levy - has outplayed Sims & Peterson at OLB

Rd 3b - Derrick Williams - he has been a disappointment this season. Was supposed to be the Lions return man, but has been benched. Also can't catch, so not much help at WR either.

Rd 4 - Sammie Hill - a long term project at DT that has played well at times

Rd 6 - Aaron Brown - explosive speed, has down well in limited duty. A great pick in Round 6.

Rd 7 - Lydon Murtha - OT project

Rd 7b - Zack Follet - started out on practice squad, played his way on to the team through hard work and really lousy results by the other special teams players. Has been very solid since joining the team. Has a fumble recovery and several HUGE hits on special teams.

Rd 7c - Dan Gronkowski - played really well in the pre-season. Solid depth TE at this point, could become an excellent complement to Pettigrew.
  13. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

-
    Yeah well maybe we found some keepers. As much as we were raped through the air, Delmas could've done twice as much.
    ....I'm hearing a LT from OK could be our 1st pick.
    Sad thing is Goster Cher. might be a waste.
  14. jammertime

I think Gosder will be fine. He's big, strong, mean and serviceable. He's a RT, they're less important than the LT, who has to cover the QBs blindside (assuming they're a righty, which all of ours are).

We MUST address both sides of the line in the next draft.

If we manage to be in a position to draft Suh, it's a no brainer. We've got to take him.

We also need at least 1 guard, if not two. I'm fine with Backus for another year if need be. I'm not as down on him as a lot of people are. Same goes for Raiola. They're both serviceable.

We need to upgrade the positions that have stunk for us. Those have been Guard on offense and DT, DE and CB on D. We also need another Safety to play next to Delmas.

As much as I hate to say it, we also need receivers, but I think we should look at FA first for that.

We need a solid #2 guy to take some heat off of Calvin. Bryant just hasn't gotten it done consistently. He drops too many balls, runs poor routes and doesn't get much seperation.

We also need a fearless #3 slot receiver with excellent hands. We need a Johnnie Morton.
  15. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Not counting on the #2 pick... they'll beat the Bears in a meaningless game... just cause that's what they do.
  16. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

17. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

How could anyone guess that Stafford wouldn't make it thru a full season with this O line? :sssh:

Just shows the the average fan has a clearer picture than management... if they thought that Stafford would become Rodney King would they subject him to this abuse?... a great confidence booster this season was the young fella.
  18. BillLaimbeer

Running Stafford out on the field as the starting QB when he could barely hold his shoulder up straight was just plain stupid.

Stanton won't have a full compliment of weapons to compete with, but at least he'll get a chance to prove himself for a couple of games.

Culpepper has no use to the franchise whatsoever. Similar to what's happening with the Pistons, the injury to Stafford will give the Lions management a chance to evaluate what they really have with Stanton.
  19. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

-
    I bet we draft that Heismen Trophy RB.
    Our Dcoordinator is on a learning curve, that must improve.
  20. BillLaimbeer

The top 3 players in the 2010 draft come from the defensive side:

1. Suh, DT Nebraska
    2. Berry, S Tennessee
    3. McCoy, DT Oklahoma

The Lions should just go ahead and use all 8 of their draft picks on defense.