Lions to draft Stafford

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Buckeyes#1, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Tha Locstah

Tha Locstah First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

Shoulda taken the OT from Baylor #1. Instead we took a QB with no means to protect him. I absolutely LOVE our next pick in Pettigrew but we can't get him the ball if we don't have protection for the QB. With the next pick we took a S from WMU. I'm a Bronco alum and we need Defense so I like this pick but still no OT. Sooooooo, with our next pick we took the Tackle we need..........oh wait, I guess we need another wideout even more? I hate the Lions!
  2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

From Scouts, Inc.:

Round 2

[​IMG] 1. (33) Detroit Lions

The pick: Louis Delmas, S, Western Michigan
    What he brings: There aren't many things Delmas can't do. His greatest strength is his instincts. He reads keys, locates the ball quickly and gets to it quickly. He's capable of delivering a big hit or playing the ball over the middle. The one concern with him is that he played at a relatively small school, but he showed at the Senior Bowl that he can compete with the big boys.

How he fits: Once again, Detroit continues to draft the quality of the player instead of the area of primary need. There were a lot of good players on the board here with Everette Brown and Rey Maualuga, but the Lions decided to go with Delmas, who could quarterback the defense from the safety position. This player reminds us some of Brandon Meriweather, who the Patriots took in the first round of the 2007 draft. Delmas had an excellent Senior Bowl week and continued to rise up draft boards. He has overcome a lot of odds his entire life and we expect him to excel for the Lions.
  3. BillLaimbeer

12. (76) Detroit Lions (from New Orleans through NY Jets)

The pick: DeAndre Levy, OLB, Wisconsin
    What he brings: Levy has excellent instincts and good range and gets to the ball quickly. Although he doesn't have great bulk at 236 pounds Levy uses his hands very well and is a much better run defender than his measureables would indicate. He does lack elite man-coverage skills, but we like his ball skills and think he can develop into a playmaker.

How he fits: Levy is a true 4-3 linebacker. He has the ability to play immediately on special teams and compete outside with Jordon Dizon for playing time with Ernie Sims and Julian Peterson.
  4. BillLaimbeer

18. (82) Detroit Lions (from Dallas)

The pick: Derrick Williams, WR, Penn State
    What he brings: Williams doesn't have outstanding size but he does possess impressive athleticism. He displays a quick burst off the line of scrimmage and reaches top-end speed in an instant. He also brings strong versatility to contribute on special teams as a return man. That said, he'll need some refining at the top end of his routes; because he shows too much wasted movement getting in and out of his breaks.

How he fits: Williams provides another target for new franchise quarterback Matt Stafford to throw to. He is a smooth athlete who will provide immediate depth at wide receiver and on special teams.
  5. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Delmas was a reach at #33, I am [STRIKE]surprised[/STRIKE], the Lions did not pick Laurinaitis or Maualuga. At #20, they should have taken Mack. Who the F is Levy? They could have gotten Urbik. I would not have traded down in the 3rd.

#1 - Stafford - (No choice)
    #20 - Mack/Oher/Jerry
    #33 - Maualuga/Laurinaitis
    #65 - Gilbert/Magee
    #82 - Urbik/Barnes/Williams

The Lions draft always works me up. Bozo the Clown can draft better than these guys. Where is the philosophy of stopping the run and running the ball demonstrated? I did like the Hill pick, finally a big body.
  6. BillLaimbeer

Casual Internet fans know 1/1000 of what these general managers, scouts and coaches know. Even saying that, the NFL teams will admit that a lot of the draft is a crap shoot. Heck, Tom Brady was taken with the 199th pick. You can specualte all you want, but it'll take a while before we know if this Lions draft was any good or not. Personally, I feel good knowing that Matt Millen is gone.
  7. anakin

I agree w/ what you are saying i.e. fans are not privy to a team's draft board/player value. But seeing teams like Pittsburgh, NE, Philly take the players you think the Lions should take is more than evidence enough for me that Leos are clueless. Plus, many of the regular posters on the Det News forum have identified players over the past 5-10 years that the Lions did not draft, but went on to become Pro-Bowlers ex. Patrick Willis, Joe Thomas, Shawn Merriman, Ware

I do like Schwartz, but I see nothing in this draft to get excited about. Stafford better be a Pro-Bowler. I would love to be wrong as I can't stand another 15 years of this.
  8. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Well, my cat IS missing.....................
  9. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

The Lions are like a bad movie. U wanna walk out but u keep watching cuz u figure 'it's GOT to GET better than this!'. Then the credits come and u just...sigh.
  10. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

This Pettigrew kid is intreging.
    Lions killed two birds with one pick. He's a lineman and a receiver. He's 6'4" 260 and can sandblast DEs. Maybe a little slow though.
    -
    "The Lions are a great Org." guffaw
    I saw Shauwn Cody is with Hou. now. Do we have any DTs ?
    I bet we sign some one in FA.
  11. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Hill is regarded by many to be the premier small college prospect at his position. The four-year starter lined up at left defensive end as a junior and senior, but with explosive burst penetrating the gaps and wide frame, many teams feel that he is better suited to play inside at tackle at the next level, his original college position. His ability to shut down the running game saw him produce 44.5 tackles behind the line of scrimmage during his career, setting the school career record. Hill is much more than your typical defensive lineman, though. He served as a tight end in goal-line blocking situations, where he scored on a 16-yard reception and also on a two-point conversion. He competed as an up-back and wedge buster on special teams, as the 330-pounder was seen rumbling with his first kickoff return as a senior. He also got to drop back in coverage as a giant middle linebacker, racing 38 yards into the end zone for a touchdown with an interception as a junior.
    6'4" 330 = MONSTER
  12. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Lions just grabbed another Tight end. How many do you need on one team? Sheesh.
  13. BillLaimbeer

They have a couple (Fitzsimmons, Gaines) already, right?
  14. Darth Tater

Ok. Is everyone ready? On three.

One...two...three!

[​IMG]
  15. detteam

detteam All-Star

16. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
  17. anakin

I really thought the Lions would be committed to drafting OT/OG/DT/MLB. Man what a let down, for Lions fans this was our Super Bowl day. I was hoping for Ziggy Hood, Brace, Mack, Laurinaitis i.e. big mean, punishing guys. A TE at #20 when the team sucks this bad is a huge luxury. I know why they did it i.e. to protect their young QB, but why not Mack or Oher? Now we just have to wait until the regular season starts to see how all this pans out.
  18. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

19. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance First Round Draft Pick

Hahaha that is the perfect analogy. Hahahaha, wow:pound:
  20. Darth Tater