Lions vs Buccaneers Week 7 Game Thread

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by jammertime, Oct 8, 2007.

1. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree with you TaShawn. I don't think the Lions have to worry about planning their Super Bowl parade route any time soon. They still have a LONG way to go.

However, at least they have been finding ways to win (or ways not to lose) these games. I totally agree with you that they probably should have lost several of those games. But they didn't, which counts for something. Those are the exact types of games that this team has found ways of losing in past years. The fact that they are now winning the close/ugly games is at least a step in the right direction.
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm with you. There are a lot of average teams in the NFL (by definition) and if you can pull out ugly wins on the margin, then at least you have something to build on. The fans are on board, the players get some confidence, it's easier to get free agents, etc.

However, since we have only pulled out 3 wins in close games, the possibility exists that it was only luck. The losses were definitely not bad luck. We got mauled.

Here is a hypothetical for ya'll. If the Lions were playing the Rams next week and you didn't have to give any points, how much money would you be willing to put on a Lions victory?
  3. jammertime

I'm far from a betting man (WAY to cheap), but even if I was, I don't think I'd EVER bet for or against the Lions.

These guys are just too unpredictable. They lose "winnable" games but then every once in a blue moon they pull off a major upset and beat a team they had no business beating (eg. Dallas last year and the B.J. (before Joey) Falcons in Hotlanta 2 years ago).

Contrary to their own belief, this team is FAR from being an "elite" team. They've managed to claw their way back to the middle of the pack from being in the bottle 3 laughing stocks for years, but they're a LONG way from being a consistent, tried and true winner.
  4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The Lions have 10 more games, 5 at home and 5 on the road. They have not lost at home yet. Based on their luck, I see them maybe winning 2 or 3 of the 5 remaining home games and possibly one road game vs the Cardinals. I would be surprised too if they got these 3-4 victories and I'm certainly not going to bet on them either....However

The issue with the Lions the last few Millen years is that they find ways to lose by making silly mistakes, turning the ball over and failing to move the ball on the ground.

They are making fewer mistakes, but for them, no "W" is secured until the clock strikes .00,...... on the other hand the blowout losses are over by halftime. They lead the league in points off turnovers, but with the green secondary they are also among the league leaders in points allowed. We have to hope that there are no WR's available in the top then draft picks next year as Millen has to look at beefing up that secondary or offensive like.,.. also how old is Jason Hansen foot? Seems like they need to find a replacement for him one of these years........:football:
  5. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Feels like investing in junk bonds. :)
  6. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

The Lions points scored differential is a (minus 31) which puts them in elite company. Only if you think the elite is the bottom 10 teams. I still feel a meltdown coming.
  7. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Is the punter for the Lions the most inderrated player they have. He gets a lot of attempts per game and has a decent average but I can never remember his name.
  8. jammertime

Nick Harris. He's a very solid punter (as far as punters go :MusicBigGrin:).

I believe he led the league in punts inside the 20 2 seasons ago. He didn't have a great year last year, but has done well so far this season.
  9. LA Dre

He has been with them for over two years??? Delfino Delivers can't remember his name and I don't recall ever hearing his named called or even remember that name in the stats??:confused: Guess I don't pay attention when they are losing...maybe if they win a few more games I will remember him and other guys names on that team:)
  10. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Just a guy that comes in and does his job. No fanfare or heroics.
  11. jammertime

Well, I can't say I blame you. He is a punter afterall.

Detroit Lions Site: Nick Harris
  12. LA Dre

With the offense stalling so much the past couple of years on and three and outs,, he should be a household name:)
  13. Nemo

I used to be able to name all the Lion players when they were good. Since they have fallen away from being only medicore, I have lost interest. As a crappy team, it is hard to follow all of the non stars that they have. I am hopeful that they turn around this team so that I may become energized about them again.
  14. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

-
    MIRRORS
    BREAK EASILY
    WEAR THICK GLOVES
    HOW much more explosive could they be?
    big plays, big stops
  15. Nemo

A running game would help.......Against Tampa Bay they got torched. Thay had 140 less offensive yards and had the ball 10 less minutes than Tampa. They've been opportunistic. That's about it. I'll hop on the bandwagon when they have a season with Less than double digit losses. :):):)
  16. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

At least you're realistic.
  17. Nemo

I'd rather be a dreamer. Just watch the Lions on Sunday and celebrate consistent winning. I'm sad that I'm jaded about their chances these days. Be happy that you can still see the silver lining with their current team. I wish I could.
  18. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

8 and 8 and this team is on the right track. If Martz stays and the D gets better...
    Forget that, THE TIME IS NOW.