Lions vs Minny Vikes Dec. 4

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by TheeTFD, Nov 30, 2005.

1. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Well, I know more about the Vikes than Detroit. Brad Johnson, returning to his old team, has his team playing for him now. 4 wins, one with 3 TDs from special teams, a NFL record. Nothing very flashy but sound wins. Marcus Robinson got 3 TDPs his last game. Might want to keep an eye on him.
    ...New head coach for the Lions. Probably "Rich" Jauron but last I heard DJ was not going to be railroaded into something without assurences. Wise.

2. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Per ESPN, Garcia will be starting.

3. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Lions win. Because in Detroit Lions fashion, it will make everyone get excited about the latest coaching change and Garcia's start...only to suffer from another string of losses. :frusty:

4. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I'd take a win over the Vikes any day. I would just like to see some intense, sound Lion play. How many times will the Dline jump off side?

5. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I had a rough night and didn't see the first hour or so. But the lions played hard, that's about all you can say about a 21 to 16 home loss to a div. rival. Brad Johnson made about 6 3rd down conversions to keep the Lions off the field.
    Fox roughed the Vikes kicker.
    The head ref. reversed a reverse 6 when a Vike roughed Jeff. Mercy.

6. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

post game thoughts

Lions lose again and once again the play calling, Garcia, the O Line and the receivers stunk up the place.

Garcia has ZERO arm strength, his mobility is limited from age and injury and any improvent he brings to the table over Joey with his ability to improvise is counter acted with the bone head desicions he makes when he improvises.

So how exactly does a 36 year old over the hill, INJURED QB give us a better chance to win?!?!?!?!

Where was the more aggressive, down the field play calling? :confused:

McQuarters is slow as molasses, he can't tackle worth crap and gives more cushion than a Lazy Boy factory.

The defence is good - not great, but they still give up at least 1 or 2 big plays a game. This season, they all seem to be 80 yard catches for a TD. They haven't been forcing any turnovers since Bly broke his hand.

When is the last time someone other than Shaun Rogers made a tackle on the 1st attempt??? This defence misses way too many open field tackles that could stop the guy for either a loss, no gain, or 1-2 yards, and it always seems to come back and bite us.

Kyle Orton's stats today: 6 of 17 for 68 yards (35.5 completion %), 3 sacks, 0 TD's, 1 INT and a fumble. Oh yeah, the Bears won 19-7.

7. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

the worst to me was the sheer # of missed tackles. terrible.

8. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

JTime, check, check, check, check, check, check and checkerreeny.
    Rdub is best for zone coverage and punt returns.

9. Zoso

Zoso First Round Draft Pick

The worst to me, was sitting there for three hours watching Jeff Garcia's horrible impersonation of an NFL quarterback.

And you just had to love his "playmaking abilities" when he threw the ball on the ground "trying to make a play." The only difference is, this time it didn't come back to bite him, like his mental lapses usually do.

But hey, that's Bly's guy. So I'm sure he'll play better next week. :doh: :frusty:

10. jammertime

He did throw up that prayer at the end that was picked off. There was still time to win the game. As soon as he let it go I knew it would be picked. Damn Chavous got us again. He's sealed the win a few times against us with a pick while we were driving for the win.

11. jammertime

How Garcia got the start today is beyond me.

Millen said he wanted the younger guys to get a shot. So we started a 36 year old who is on a 1 year contract for a team that has no shot at making the playoffs, over a 27 year old who was our #3 pick in the draft and is still under contract after this season.

Even if the Lions have decided that they're done with Joey, why not showcase him to other teams? Or start Orlovsky to get him some experience.

What benefit is there in starting Garcia? Even if we were to win our last 5 games, we still probably wouldn't make the playoffs. So we end up with a crappier draft pick, a 28 year old high priced backup QB (that we'll probably either trade and not get market value for since he's been riding the bench of half the season, or release and get zip for), the now 37 year old QB that won us those last 5 games is now a free agent (and will probably retire after this season anyway) and Orlovsky still hasn't had any game experience.

This decision is ESPECIALLY questionable after Garcia just ripped everyone in the organization to the media this week, after his buddy Mooch was fired.

All today's game tells me is that the Lions still lack leadership, have no sense of loyalty or teamwork, they've given up on Joey and Millen has run out of scapegoats.

12. Zoso

Zoso First Round Draft Pick

Yeah, that moon ball he threw up at the end was yet another one of his many mental lapses. How about when he had the receiver wide open for an easy six, about 15 yards downfield, yet all his noodle arm could muster was a measly six to 7 yard under-throw. Classic.

13. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i would say detroit is playing for a draft pick but believe it or not their record is the same as or better than 11 other teams in the league

14. jammertime

That's why we have to tank these last 4 games!

15. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Jtime, To why Jeff got the start, I was thinking he deserves a fair shot. Just as a comparison. Does or can he win? Then It dawned on me, that's why Mooch had to go, he brought his gymp nephew here to gymp up the team.;-p
    We play to win; no tanking games. Juaron isn't a dope. Ask Herman Edwards.

16. jammertime

I was only playin' when I said that.

I'm a die hard Lions fan and would never want them to tank a game. I wouldn't even bother watching the games if I just wanted them to lose anyway.

I think finally being able to put something together and play as a team, so that they can see what they really have is more important than moving up a few spots in the draft at this point.

We have quite a bit of young talent already, its just a matter of getting them all to gel together.... and tackle, block, catch, pass, run routes, break tackles, not take penalties, make big plays, not smoke up, not call out teammates in the media, not illegally tint your windows... oops, wrong team, but you get the idea.

17. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Besides, if they play to lose to get a good draft choice...they would mess up and win. This IS the Lions we are talking about, remember? :frusty: