Lions vs Packers - 2007 - Turkey Day Game Thread

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by jammertime, Nov 19, 2007.

1. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Cason has been very solid on returns since he was picked back up. He should be taking all of the returns away from Walters, who shouldn't even be in the league.

Cason has also been an excellent receiver out of the backfield.
  2. jammertime

The O-line is horrible as always, but Jon Kitna needs to learn to SET UP IN THE FREAKING POCKET!!!!

Especially since the O-line is so bad. If you look at almost EVERY single passing play, the entire defensive line usually gets well into the Lions' backfield. All Kitna has to do is take 2 steps up and there is NO ONE within 10 yards of him. That would buy him an extra 4 or 5 seconds to find an open receiver, or at the very least, take off and SLIDE to get some positive yardage.
  3. jammertime

HAHAHAHA

This team can't do anything right. Packers driving and have the ball in the end zone. Lions tip the ball, pick it off and would have returned it 90 yards for a score, but the play was called dead because the Lions' D called a timeout (their 2nd defensive timeout of the 2nd half) just before the snap.
  4. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

That`s it.

I am turning this off before it spoils my appetite..........
  5. jammertime

I honestly don't see this team winning another game this season.
  6. detteam

detteam All-Star

Kitna takes 1 or maybe 2 steps up while the pocket is closing around him and he has open field, but won't run the ball. Stanton could fix this next year.
  7. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

You guys enjoying the game? Wow, this is terrible. I guess they need to draft O-line for next season, huh? Kinda like this season.

Lions need to go 4-1 the rest of the way to make good on Kitna's pledge.
  8. detteam

detteam All-Star

lol...I have to eat my words. Kitna's just now started running...he's just not very good at it.
  9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Farverre' had 19 or 20 straight complete passes because his players know the routes and he gets rid of the ball within 4-5 seconds after he receives the snap. Kitna took 3-4 sacks because he holds it to long and his receivers can't get open. Calvin Johnson seemed lost out there today and maybe Charlie Sanders should have suited up since he was there.

The penalty on the first scoring opportunity was a momentum killer and downer for the offense and then to come up empty on first two offensive series where they had to settle for the FG's set the tone for the rest of the game.
  10. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Roy Williams looks worse.
  11. detteam

detteam All-Star

WHY didn't they go for 2 points? Use the momentum...don't wait for it.
  12. jammertime

I don't mind them not going for 2 at that point. It was a 2 possession game anyway. If they miss the 2 point conversion on the first score, it makes it a 3 possession game and kills any momentum that they had.
  13. detteam

detteam All-Star

Had they gone for and made the conversion, it would have been a 1 possession game at that time. To me the PAT was stupid.

As it turned out it didn't matter anyway. FWIW I picked GB in the picks game cuz this team ain't there yet...getting better, but a long way to go.
  14. jammertime

They were down by 15 points at the time. Either way they needed 2 TDs, 1 extra point and one 2 point conversion.

Sure, had they made the 2pt conversion, they would have only needed a TD and extra point to tie the game. The problem is, that if they miss the 2pt conversion, they're screwed. Their 2 possession game just became another 2 possession game. The game would basically be over at that point, with almost no chance to win.

If they kick the extra point, they're down 8, which is a TD and 2 point conversion to tie. Save the 2pt convert attempt for the last play of the game.

Of course there's no 1 right answer, that's just my opinion.
  15. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

NO real stupid mistakes, no unbalanced offense, just plain got beat by a better team. It's destiny for Favre. Super Bowl against the Pats.
  16. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Raiola's chop block was a stupid mistake. It turned a 7-0 start into a 3-0 start.
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I like going for 2 early. That way if you fail, you know that you are in a 2 possession game and you can plan accordingly.

The odds of converting it are no better later in the game, so you may as well get it over with.
  18. jammertime

I still disagree.

I just don't think there was enough time to make it another 2 possession game if they miss the 2pt conversion at that point.

If they convert, great, it's a moot point. But if they miss it, it completely deflates the team and kills any momentum they may have had. Instead of it being a 1 score game with less than 3 minutes left (and with only 1 timeout don't forget, because they blew 2 on D, including one that would have been a "pick 6" for us), it would be a 2 possession game in which you'd have to recover 2 on-side kicks just to have a shot at it.

Sure, mathematically it's the same, but IMO psychologically, it's a huge difference.

This sounds like a great poll question! :MusicBigGrin:
  19. jammertime

I can't believe that some people are actually blaming our running game for this loss?!?!?!

MLive.com: Everything Michigan

I've already responded to this article over at MLive, so I'll just repost my comments here and see what you guys think.

20. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

The biggest problem I saw with the game is that our 2 highly paid WR's looked like a box of doughnuts in a police car........Also toss in the fact that Brett Favre is still our daddy. Good grief, 20 straight completions and almost 400 yards of passing. Rest of the season should be easy for me to predict........