1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Breaking News Looks like Joe is stepping down...

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by hitafreethrow, Apr 8, 2014.

1. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Team Captain 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Glad he didn't get fired mid year.
    I hadn't realized that we traded a first round pick for Arroyo. Who did that pick end up being out of curiosity? Arroyo was fun to watch.

3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The Detroit Pistons acquired point guard Carlos Arroyo from Utah on Friday in a trade that sent center Elden Campbell and a first-round pick after 2006 to the Jazz.

A gem from an ESPN article on the trade:

"One beneficiary of the trade could be Darko Milicic, who moves up in the big-man rotation with Campbell departing. Milicic, who was drafted second overall in 2003, spent most of his rookie season watching from the bench and had been doing the same this season."

Utah later traded that pick to Portland. Since Detroit had the best record in the NBA, it ended up being the #30 pick of the 2006 draft. Portland drafted Joel Freeland of the United Kingdom (surely a pick that didn't come back to haunt the franchise).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Pistons later traded Darko to the Orlando Magic along with Carlos Arroyo for a first-round selection and center Kelvin Cato.

4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Ha, Joel Freeland. I forgot that our draft picks were essentially second rounders back then.

5. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

6. linwood

linwood All-Star

Yep. That sums up how I feel.

Sent from outerspace

brofmfa likes this.
  7. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

Exactly how I feel too.

8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Bring on Isiah!

9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

No real rejoice here as I am glad he gave us a few years to cheer about. The Darko pick probably ruined him over the long haul and he may have been handcuffed as the article indicates in the later years due to lux tax and the death of Mr. D.

I am still curious about the comment regarding Joe trying to hold on to Cheeks.....I wonder at what point did Gores try to force his hand in the ousting Cheeks? It happen at 50 games, but wonder if ongoing struggle that started at 30-35 games?

10. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

The Cheeks thing is ironic since Cheeks was Gores' guy.

Thanks for '04 Joe!
    You'll always be my favorite Piston (player).

coynejeremy and mikhail1973 like this.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I can't believe it took 6 years since he started making really sketchy moves. He had a lifetime of good will built through the 3 ships though.

hitafreethrow likes this.
  12. Laimbrane

I will say that I'm more than a little concerned about who's going to replace him, however. Has Gores done anything right at all? His courtship of the Pistons cost them a season when he bought them, he allegedly pushed Frank on Joe, hired Phil in a move that undermined Dumars' ability to hire the coach he wanted, now allegedly pushed for the hiring of Cheeks, and then allegedly forced Joe to fire Cheeks after only 50 games, after Cheeks had - in retrospect - clearly made strides with Jennings' PG development and had gotten more out of this group than his replacement. Is it possible that Gores undermined Joe from the start because he wanted to get his own guy?

I know we really don't have all of the information here, but is anyone more confident that Gores is going to find a GM capable of running this team well, and then give that GM the time he'll need to adequately build the organization?

13. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

This doesn't sound right. There wasn't exactly a long lineup of buyers.

14. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

As someone who became a Piston fan when JJ arrived and never have experienced a winning season nor a successful FA signing I'm rejoicing. As fun as it is to complain, I wouldn't mind trying a competent guy this time.

15. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This seems very far-fetched. Why would Gores need to undermine Dumars? He is the owner. He could have fired him the day he bought the team and probably wouldn't have gotten much backlash.

16. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

I posted this in a facebook Detroit Sports Fans group of friends (let me know if you're interested in joining, and I'll think about it). Not to pat myself on the back too much, but I thought it was nice, and I'll share it here:

Thorough thoughts on a Detroit Sports Legend's legacy:

-The only non-Red Wing Detroit athlete to ever win three world championships, the Pistons' only three championships (his third being the most impressive individual accomplishment). NBA Hall of Fame'r. NBA Finals MVP. Perhaps the best defensive guard to ever play the game (shut-down MJ in his prime in back-to-back-to-back playoff series). One of the best sportsmen in history (the only Bad Boy to not walk off the court in '91).

-Took over as Team President just one season after retiring. Being such an intelligent, recent player, had a tremendous knowledge of the talent on his roster and around the league. Had a great mentor in Chuck Daly (recommended Carlisle) and a great right-hand man in John Hammond. Executed one of the most impressive series of moves in sports history. Moved atrocious contracts ~ Laettner, Vaught, Montross, Buechler, Mills ~ for the likes of Ben, Rip, 'Sheed, Corliss, Mike James, Jon Barry, and Uncle Cliff; signed ~ Chauncey, Elden, 'Dyess; drafted ~ Tay, Memo; took an ENORMOUS risk in hiring Larry Brown. Built a team that won an NBA Championship (my personal favorite team in sports history), went to six straight ECF's, and reinvigorated professional basketball in the state of Michigan.

-Never had the ability (or later on, work-ethic?) to scout players he wasn't in the league with. Horrible lottery record (Darko, Rodney White, Daye, Mateen, Knight, KCP...I assume he gave his scouts more input on later selections). Had a hard time executing trades once John Hammond left, when the team was one player away from a second championship for about four seasons. Had a hard time hiring coaches once Chuck Daly passed. Thought the league was changing, thought Rodney Stuckey could be LeBron, forgot his roots, moved Billups to highlight him, hired the cavs' "offensive coordinator" (Kuester) to coach him, and then surrounded him with a bunch of shooters that had no heart to spread out the court (Gordon, Villanueva, Daye...and then Nazr??). Desperately attempted to save his job by acquiring Josh Smith and Brandon Jennings.

-Did leave us with a great building block in Andre Drummond (IMO, the 4th most valuable player in the entire league behind LeBron, Durant and Anthony Davis) and an asset in Greg Monroe.

Legendary player. Legendary executive (for a time and place). Time to move on. *Mistakes'll be forgotten, in time; championships won't. Detroit Sports Legend. Joe-D.

Susie914, mikhail1973 and raxrets like this.
  17. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

No.

Not to ruin the mood here, but I fear that whoever Gores brings in will make us miss Dumars. Pistons are at a critical spot; we are going into this summer with many decisions and a ton of cap flexibility. The next guy could build the next contender, or make boneheaded moves that not only locks this franchise in mediocrity for another 10 years.

18. Laimbrane

Illitch, supposedly. His grandson was going to the school I teach at and I remember him getting a text and being all excited about his grandpa owning the Pistons. It was a season-long thing that allegedly tied Joe's hands while Karen Davidson tried to sell the team. Not that Joe would have necessarily done anything with that time, but it was several months of sitting on his hands.

19. max

max All-Star

His hands were tied so he could not try to unload the 2 mistakes he signed in Gordon./CV?. When he finally was able to move again ist thing he did was sign Prince and Stuckey and trade Afflalo for a cupfull of beans.

That article was very kind. Glossed over a lot of other mistakes. He has not had a good year in quite some time.

blueadams likes this.
  20. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

Thanks, man. I tried to be honest. To highlight his great successes, and his great failures -- without embellishing on them unnecessarily. In the end, his lasting legacy is:

Joe-D=3 championships. No Joe-D=0.

mikhail1973 likes this.