Magic Favors Dress Code

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Nov 13, 2005.

1. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

2. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Magic's Johnson speaks...

Magic isn't an active player so his opinion doesn't count. I'd like some of the current players to make some type of protest against this rule.

3. G-man

G-man Starter

Bills - say what?

Magic doesn't count?

All the x-players count. They made the league when the league wasn't about the bling, it was about the game. Today they get a small % of the total salaries. But that small amount means a lot. The image of the game and it's players means a lot. You have to get your arms around the bigger picture. Todays guys owe it the guys that came before them and tomorrows guys will owe it to todays. This issue is bigger than the highlighting talking heads of today.

It's about respecting the game first.

Read this article, and by the way Magic Johnson gives big props to the vets in the way of hard green cash. He counts..

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A26510-2004Jun8?language=printer

4. basketbills

That's very admirable G-man (the article) but the point I want to make is that active players are the ones who are effected by the code...active players would be the ones sticking their necks out, risking fan backlash etc if they take a stand against this Dilbert rule. Magic has nothing to gain or lose. It's the players that are meekly submiting to corporate dweebdom. You and I wouldn't dare to dress in any other way than the standard corporate uniform because we are scared to be nonconformists and lose business contacts. So we act as weak little conforming sissies. These players don't have that worry and they have all the power to fight Commisioner Dilbert on this.

5. G-man

G-man Starter

Ahh it's all about "the Man"

[​IMG]

First, as I type this I'm wearing this little ensemble

[​IMG]
    Then I go out on the road for business dressed a little more conservative not unlike the dweebs you mentioned;

[​IMG]

On friday nights, I strap on these to get free drinks at the bar;

[​IMG]

But the rest of the time I pretty much look like this;

[​IMG]

Actually Bills, we can agree to disagree.
    But the reality is it isn't always about personal freedom. Sometimes it should be about the "system". Sometimes you gotta give a little..for the bigger cause..A cause that's "bigger"..

6. basketbills

G-Man

I guess my work uniform is a little more restrictive than your getups.

[​IMG]

7. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

I really don't think the players should protest anything. The league says, when you're on the clock, when you're in the public eye, when you reflect the league, and when you represent the league: You should look decent. You should look like a professional. You shouldn't look like a fan. You should look respectable.

Really, what is it? An hour before and after the game? Wow! That's demanding. That's fascism. Darn that David Stern.

If the players were really so against it, they shouldn't have allowed their union to approve it. They should have raised a stink BEFORE it was the law of the land.

And, I'll admit, I'm a white guy from the mid-west, who listens to folk music, and rock and roll, and jazz; but I don't understand how it can be construed as racsist.

Oh, it goes against the entire "hip-hop" culture that the league is trying to entice into supporting... or whatever... or... what the heck? 1 hour before the game... 1 hour after the game... maybe 4 games a week... Darn! That's like 8 hours of oppression.

Professional basketball players the world UNITE!!! Rise up in protest! Don't stand for this anymore!!!

(You smell that? That's scarcasm.)

8. basketbills

Damn white guys....!