Main Problem of the Chauncey trade...

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by himat, Jan 14, 2009.

1. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Our team did has not shown up the last 3 ECF. Its absurd to pin it all on one player even if you dislike him.

I felt like he made too many mistakes too, but there is no denying that all of us underrated his role on this team.

He is not a playoff choke. Under LB he was successful, very successful. He was the PG of a team that was 1 quarter away from winning back to back. After that he was not the only one who got stagnant. The team did.
  2. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I am kidding myself? You are so damn stuck onto your opinion that you cannot see the facts clearly. AI is better than Chauncey. No doubt about it. He is only behind MJ in playoff ppg, averages over 27 ppg over his career, won a league MVP, and was a former 1st round and 1st pick in the draft. I can't believe you are actually arguing about this. AI has been the best guard along with Kobe for the past decade. Chauncey isn't close to that level.

Now is AI a better FIT than Chauncey. We will have to see, but so far it doesn't look like it. That's what I am frustrated about. We didn't lose any talent, in fact we gained some, but we still struggle mightily.

As for Chauncey all I have to say is that this team was built around multiple players. Whenever we were successful the success was mutual and the defeats were as well. To pin this all on Chauncey is absurd Roscoe. Back it up with some facts or statistics or something. As of right now the facts/statistics after the trade are against you.
  3. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Dang, am I the only person who saw this team WIN last week, win Rip was gone, and we had a balanced roster. We are DAMN straight, post-trade, now post groin tear is a different story. Addition by subtraction baby, addition by subtraction.
  4. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

You aren't alone...
  5. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

It's not the early 2000's anymore. At this stage of there careers the gap is not even a tenth as wide as you're making it.
  6. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Chauncey Billups = Donovan McNabb
  7. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

We lost a serious, serious amount of talent at point guard in the trade. And oh, gained about zilch at shooting guard, since we already had a very good one, one who can shoot lights out, and even defend well in many situations. Even at backup shooting guard, if you gave me the choice of AI vs. Afflalo backing up Rip, I'd take Afflalo. So, we lost an excellent point guard, and got nothing really back in return. And this is from someone who, with our current roster, would start AI. But its really only since there is nothing else he is good for to our team.
  8. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I should have read your post first before I posted mine. You said it so well.
  9. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

On that first sentence. We had both. No need to choose. having two point guards on your squad, so that you have one of them out there 100% of the time during the game is priceless.
  10. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

In my opinion, he was still the top point guard in the league when we traded him. But hey, he is gone, so I will not spend too much effort defending him. AI is a lot quicker, so even though we do lose points for other guards just shooting over him, we were losing points from Billups being slow afoot. And as was shown in the recent Denver game, you put a guy like Tay on him, and he can't do a thing. Many other point guards in this league would use their speed to shake Tay. CB just does not have near the quicks he had, even from when we first got him.
  11. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Not quite so fast. Stuckey has been playing injured. What if he was fully healthy? Sheed and Rip both are playing with some rust, while Dyess is playing with multiple injuries.

What if we had started, and played, just healthy players these past several games. AI starting with Afflalo in the backcourt. Throw in Sharpe to back up Tay. Play a lot of Amir, (until he fouls out at least), and JMAX at power forward and play Kwame as much as he can take. And just a bit of Dyess and Sheed to fill in the gaps only. And let Rip heal further, and let Stuckey rest that sore back?

Anyway, my point? Its not all gloom and doom yet. Lets wait until some of these injuries are healed, and then after we keep losing, then annouce the sky is falling.
  12. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Stucks back can't heal while he plays.
    He may need surgery. Or we'll be hearing about it for years.
  13. max

max All-Star

Oh I have thought about it. But I am not the one who gave him a 5 year contract. Did it have to be for 5 years? Suppose CB could have eventually been the most expensive bench guy in the league.

As you said - no sense looking back. Whats done is done and it does have its advantages.
  14. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

TaS, stats attached as a graphic. If you need the tabular data, let me know.

I didn't do anything with opponents or anything. Just ran the stats reg season and playoffs as /36 mins.

nJoy!

Attached Files:

15. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Very small P/O drop off.
    We don't need to talk about Tays !
  16. Star Jones

Star Jones First Round Draft Pick

I still have to read the rest of this thread, but let me tell you what I believe about Allen and the notion of him taking over the team or becoming the leader: he's not going to do it.

Not because he's isn't capable, but because he caught the wrong end of it in Philadelphia. Without question, he was the centerpiece, no one doubted it and it was never a question, until the Chris Webber trade.

Chris came into Philly and expected the entire offense to feature him as it did in Sacramento. A large part of the offense was altered to placate him and the team ending up suffering mightily. Kyle Korver was beginning to blossom as Allen looked for him as the trailer on fast breaks. Andre Iguodala was the beneficiary of many alley oops, Philly actually looked like something to watch. Until Chris got there.

Allen refused to "takeover" in Denver because of it, so there was a supposed push and pull between him and Carmelo, as various teammates seemed to respond to an Allen led team over a Carmelo led one. Both J.R. Smith and Linas Kleiza's game grew immensely by the end of the first season with Allen.

He will not take over because he believes that Rodney has talent, probably sees a little of himself in Rodney and he's not going stop a guy from doing what he did in his early days in Philly: trying to make a name for himself.

He probably feels sorry for Richard, while still believing that he's the better option. He has a long standing respect for Tayshaun. He's friends with Rasheed and he won't get in the way of Rodney. All of that adds up to Allen being "incapable" of becoming the clear cut leader on this team.

He'll lead by example of play, he may pull Rodney over to the side to shoot the breeze(advise on the sly) about the game, but not by getting in anyone's face or by making it obvious.
  17. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Simply marvelous. Star you keep this up and I may have to change my name to Dwayne Wade!
  18. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Besides the username of Star Jones that was a very good post. :laugh:
  19. Star Jones

Star Jones First Round Draft Pick

Star Jones is the perfect message board name. :D It's quick, easy and gives an clear image: a black woman with an opinion. Done. It doesn't get much simpler than that. :D

KGreg, as long as you don't trip, stumble and fall wildly all over the board, I guess Dwayne Wade will be okay. :falloff:
  20. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

star please continue posting, you provide a unique perspective and present many valid and original points