Main Problem of the Chauncey trade...

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by himat, Jan 14, 2009.

1. himat

himat Bench Warmer

:welcome:All right.
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I knew I should have gone with TaShawna.
  3. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

:nod: Right,

Plus, you know, Roscoe would like to borrow your wardrobe now and then.

(Sorry Scoe, either get Jammer on here more, or you are going to be my main target)
  4. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I think its getting even more obvious that we lack any leadership or direction. Who is going to rally everybody? We have no clue because we don't have a real leader.
  5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Can you stop making the new members feel uncomfortable?

Do you want a list of people you should be harassing right now?

Jammer and linwood suck. Bezeach never posts anything, and Woody forgot he is a member of this forum (old folks forget stuff). It looks like it is you and me against the world.
  6. Star Jones

Star Jones First Round Draft Pick

Thanks to all of you. Very sweet. I've been reading the board since the trade and I should've joined sooner. Would've saved myself a lot of grief and I could've gotten in on the "Richard cries in Chauncey's arms while Tayshaun uncomfortably holds the tissue box" thread.

That. Was. Classic.

I think Joe Dumars will be rallying the team as he walks around the locker room with a plane ticket(s) clearly sticking out of his back pocket.
  7. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Isn't the pertinent question here why did Joe trade CB after 2 games? Why did he go for a trade he turned down over the summer and what changed between then and game 2 of the season?

Of course DEN is going to look better with Billups. The needed a point guard. The Pistons would have been better off trading for CB for Andre Miller who isn't near the player Billups is (unless you count the 6 playoff games from last years first round).
  8. Star Jones

Denver didn't need a PG, they needed someone that was willing to pick up where George Karl so clearly drops off. George is coach that can't survive or succeed without forceful, almost larger than life players on his team.

He rode both Gary Payton and Sam Cassell's coattails for years and then rode them into the ground because in the end, they too needed a coach in a tight playoff series. And he wasn't/isn't it.

I don't believe Chauncey to be forceful or larger than life, but he does, so that was enough for the Denver players. They now pretend to play defense, Nene is healthier and Kenyon is finally back to New Jersey Kenyon. George doesn't even eat as much candy as he used to. He's even drawn up plays this year.

If Denver doesn't win a playoff series, then George's cover will be truly blown and he may finally get fired. Denver won 50 games last season, but was swept out of the playoffs. They've lost 7 of their last 8 because they are always dramatically outcoached.
  9. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I had this conversation with someone else. Weren't they trying to give us AI for a long time ? I mean they supposedly were willing to give up Camby along with him. Makes you wonder if the low attendance on opening night caused a panic move. This was just as easily something that could have been done at the deadline.

The person i was talking to made a good point. She said that Joe saw it as a way to get cap space, but till keep a competitive team out there, and potentially boost sales, bring in the Iverson fans. IMO, he miscalculated badly.
  10. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Becasue over the summer the asking price was too high. Over the summer they wanted 2 for 1, but ultimately settled for a Billups for AI straight up deal.
  11. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

As always, you must have willing partners. Hard to say about the course of maneuvering that went on during the summer. Owners, GM's and coaches all of a sudden switch their usual offerings in the morning from jam to preserves and have be persuaded that it is environmentally green to do so.

I always wondered why the exceptionally long contract awarded to CB. Sometimes that extra push from one side (who clearly has the advantage) creates a momentary acquiesce from the other side and my conscious yields. I may be wrong about this, but I have a hunch that there is a line you do not cross over with JD. It is very typical in high management positions that loyalty is not your good-old-boy Saturday night poker game: where having the winning hand now, might adversely turn into creating, a long days journey into night (EON).

I have a personal inclination that JD has a whole lot riding on Curry. The combination for encouragement, to get this all started out right, was the master key opening a good many team locks. That key was CB. Within the pre-season and a short opening season start, some attitude and personal comments might have been made that created a remembrance not easily forgotten. Perhaps another indirect insight might be how this has played out from another team member: of course, we are speaking of Dyess. He gave up a lot to come back and we all know this wasn't about money. Dyess did not cross that line (he could have retired), where Ben and CB did.
  12. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

That's not what was reported. They wanted 2 of our players for Carmelo Anthony not AI. From what i recall they kept offering AI, and Joe said he wasn't interested.
  13. roscoe36

Well, if they were willing to keep AI and give up Melo, then obviously AI is the problem. Because as my brothah BDL has mentioned, the Thuggets are a bunch of choir boys.
  14. Darth Tater

Laimbeer?
  15. roscoe36

Laimbeer is going through a rough time in his life. He told me that he is balding, and his kids are starting to take advantage of him at fantasy sports.
  16. Darth Tater

Roscoe, that was very sensitive of you not to mention his battle with impotence. I am sure Bill really appreciates it.
  17. theWORM

theWORM First Round Draft Pick

Indeed, more great insight only to be found here. I would preface all of that by stating the most overlooked fact of the trade, at least as far as this and related threads are concerned: Iverson was brought in for as much, if not far more, for his value as an impending expiring contract of $20mil odd, than for his value as a player to the team this season. Da ya thunk he dont know that? Not hardly the ideal basis for him assuming or commanding the leadership of the team.
  18. Tha Locstah

Tha Locstah First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

FYI, We haven't been a "championship caliber team" since we lost badly to The LaBrons two years ago. Just because we made it to the ECFs last year doesn't mean we were of the same thread as Boston. They OWNED us and continue to OWN us. Something DRASTIC is needed for this team. Maybe what that is would be to scrap the team of high salaries in the offseason and gear up for a run at the top FAs in '09 or '10.

:help2:
  19. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Another problem is that since Ben left we have not had a leader at the PF/C position. Sheed is not a leader on the court. He is a leader in practice (he helps the young bigs tremendously), he is a leader in the community (one of the few down to earth NBA players), but when it comes to the game he isn't and he never was. For whatever reason he hasn't been a leader and don't expect him to randomly become one. We need a big man alongside him. If we think the problem at the guard position is bad then the weaknesses in the front court must be a disaster. I know big men don't come off trees, but I bet you there is someone available.
  20. Star Jones

Iverson on skid: It's everybody's fault | detnews.com | The Detroit News

Well, this should be interesting, eh?