1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Marbury endorses $14.98 sneaker

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Darth Tater, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I saw this yesterday. Apparently he is going to wear the $15 kicks himself to promote them.

I'm constantly confused about Stephon. I can't figure out if he is a jerk or misunderstood.

3. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 All-Star Forum Donor

Probably a little of both. He grew up in Coney Island, NY, and had three (or four) older brothers who were all promising basketball talents. When they didn't make it to even good college programs, the onus was put squarely on his shoulders. He began feeling the pressure at 14 years old. His father was the main culprit in applying the pressure, too.

I just got done reading a great book called "The Last Shot," by Darcy Frey. It's got some Marbury stuff in it. Frey was a journalist who spent a year with four Coney Island kids, all on the basketball team in high school. Marbury was a freshman at the time. Every time Frey asked to interview Marbury's father, the father kept asking, "How much money you gonna give me for the interview?"

Marbury's probably never had the right guidance. Someone's always wanted something from this guy.

4. roscoe36

I remember that Marbury looks at Zeke like a father figure. This could be an interesting year for the Knicks.

5. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

Apparently he missed the line in his contract where he's required to help the league and their business associates soak the fans for every last penny. What's next? Floor seats for $20? Jerseys for $12.95?

6. roscoe36

It's the same type of discussion aurorakmw and I had about jerseys. Is it authentic if it's sold for less than the insane NBA sticker price? Is the authenticity of the clothing tied to how much is paid to wear it?

7. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I hope nobody is giving him crap over this.
    "Hey, you are ruining it for the rest of us. How can we continue to bilk the public if this becomes a trend?"

8. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Shaq had a shoe he was selling at payless shoes for $19.99 a couple of years ago. Nike and the rest of those companies mark the shoes up 1500%. It only cost them about $5 bucks to make them in there sweatshops where they pay the workers nothing. The rest is all profit after you take out the endorsement fees they pay out and the marketing costs. That's why I never pay regular price for some new kicks. I wait until they go on clearance. Why pay $125 for some shoes when you can wait and get it for $60 or less a couple of months later.

9. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

I never did have anything against Stephon other than him being an opposing player. And now, I have respect for him.

That is really stepping up to the plate. I wonder if anyone else will come up with something to compare.

Maybe th4e Pistons should invite him aboard just so that he can get a ring. Then maybe both he and Dyce can get one before the window closes.

I know, the money would not work out, anyway.

10. linwood

linwood All-Star

Sounds like I found my new shoes! I had a pair of the payless Shaq shoes. Not too bad for $20. You definitely see diminishing returns the more $$$ you pay for sneakers.

Hopefully Steph's shoes will be popular. I don't think the big fella's shoes were that popular... probably because they aren't expensive. You don't hear cool rap songs about how much money you save getting two pair at Payless!

11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That's something that MF Doom would rap about.

12. linwood

linwood All-Star

I'm going to have to check that out. Sounds like my kinda stuff!

13. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

29 o' 2 fo' fitty!!

(anyone in the detroit area should get that one :D)

14. linwood

linwood All-Star

I've slapped down my fitty at Mr. A's more than a few times!
    :nod:

15. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Man, I love those commercials! Every once in a while, I get the overwhelming need to just blurt that out a couple of times! :laugh:

16. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

While browsing at the Mall the other day, I was glancing at a "Kicks" Basketball magazine with KG, Billups, T-Mac, Tim Duncan and Gilbert Arenas on the cover.

The cover said "Y`all ain`t ready for this". I said damn, are they a team preparing to play somebody???

An intriguing thought at first until I realized, T-Mac`s back would go out by the second quarter, C-Bill would do nothing but fire up 3`s, KG would make himself dissappear in the 4th quarter, and Mr Arenas would get mad and take his ball home. Duncan would go for 25/10.

Well, the story featuring the five of them was about shoe deals they all have for this upcoming year. Funny thing though, I don`t remember the prices of these kicks being mentioned, nor of Stephs $14.98 kicks!

Looks like Marbury will be like Patti Labelle on this one, "On his Own..........

17. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I saw Marbury's sneakers at store called Steve and Barrys University Sportsware here at an outlet mall here in Ontario,California. Everything in the store was $6.98 with the exception these shoes.....By the way they had a full section dedicated to Marbury's goods with jerseys, sweats, etc. The shoes didn't appear to be the greatest quality and my 15 year old who thinks I'm rich--:( thinks that shoes under $60 aren't worth purchasing:frusty:

18. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

sounds like somebody needs to take a careful look at dad's sig on PF.com...

19. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

I've been wondering about that. It will be interesting to see if Marbury follows through and actually wears them on the court. He said he decided to get behind the sneakers because Isiah the mentor inspired him to do something meaningful with his fame, but it remains to be seen how Isiah the coach will feel about his point guard using possibly substandard equipment with a game on the line.

20. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

Getting sued for sexual assault is also meaningful. Maybe Starbury misinterpreted?