Marbury endorses $14.98 sneaker

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Darth Tater, Aug 17, 2006.

1. linwood

linwood All-Star

2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Well said Linwood. I guess Lebron figures there is something wrong with people who work hard for a living but don't make much money. SOB! :angrysoapbox:

I love Marbury's comeback:

Marbury, who is friendly with James, was lacing up his Starburys before the game when informed of LeBron's comment. He thought about it for a moment and said, "I'd rather own than be owned.":wedgie:
  3. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

What ? taiwan dollars ?
  4. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

gotta love this, eloquent as can be.
  5. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Marbury is a product of his own environment. He is shaping himself into a kind, considerate human being...........or maybe not............
  6. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

I really commend Ben for joining up. It did not surprise me in the least. Just a classy thing to do.
  7. Nemo

Now all the world needs is the 15 cent White Castle Hamburger.........
  8. detteam

detteam All-Star

Before everyone goes patting Starbury & Ben on the back for doing something seemingly noble in promoting an affordable product to kids, has anyone stopped to wonder who is manufacturing the stuff so inexpensively?...and what those workers earn?

Ya'll remember Kathie Lee Gifford, right? :P
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

They are made in China. I believe most of the other brands are as well.

I'm guessing they didn't cut $100 in costs out of the production to get the price so low, so I wouldn't assume their conditions are any different than the Nike plants. I also wouldn't assume the conditions are particularly good.

So, it probably costs about $1.20 to make the shoes and they sell them for $15 instead of $150. Their lack of marketing budget has to be a big advantage... and theoretically, they could sell more of these than if they entered at a price point that competes with established brands.
  10. detteam

detteam All-Star

The major brands price gouge based on the marketing of their endorsers, but is the discrepancy comparing product pricing to manufacturing costs really that huge to cover the endorsements?

If the product is quality comparable & Marbury's endorsement is successful, his manufacturer would bring the major companies to their knees and force them to buy them out.
  11. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

It's just like soda (we don't call it "pop" here).

Pepsi or Coke costs 2 or 3 times what Faygo or Shasta run you.
    It's all about the advertising & what not. I highly doubt the sugar in a can of Pepsi is superior to that in a can of Faygo.

Enjoy those Super Bowl commercials guys. You're paying top dollar for them.

Kudos to Big Ben and Starbury.:good: :yo:
  12. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

Count me in as one who now has a much higher respect for Marbury. And I thought that was clever his "I would rather own than be owned" comment. I think I will steal that line and use it every once in awhile when I am debating over on the Big Ten forum why OSU is better than UM. :MusicBigGrin: Actually, we are quite cordial over there, but one of my friends and I get into it occasionally because he says UM owns OSU because they have the lead overall like 50 games to 35 (or whatever). My rebuttal is you can own the farm for 90 years, but if you sold it to me last year, I now own the farm. Right now, OSU owns the Big Ten. :gun1: :pound: :pound: :pound: . Surprisingly, I get along with all the guys over there. They don't take it personal. When you are in a place for a few years and go through many battles, a healthy respect develops. They understand the Buckeye is just having a little fun. :MusicBigGrin:
  13. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

After watching Ben Wallace the other night...I decided to head to Steve and Barry's and buy a couple of pairs of Starbury's. Bought one for my son (little Bills) and another for myself.

They seem like decent shoes...nice variety of colors too. I could have bought 3 pairs of shoes and had change left over for the price of that stupid Ben Wallace inflatable defender thing I bought last year.

I am mildly concerned that these may turn out to be manufactured in some third world country sweatshop by six year olds.

If that is true...I'm only going to wear them, like once a week, as a protest.
  14. Nemo

As far as the sneakers being made in a third world country. I can't control what a government allows workers to be paid. However, it disgusts me to hear that for Nike, a guy like Michael Jordan who makes 20 mil for his shoe contract, will make more than the 3,000 workers COMBINED, at the factory that makes his shoes. I say the players who have deals like that should TOUR those facilities. Bring a Brinks truck with you so you can do the right thing.

As far as Buckeye#1 is concerned, I read a lot of his posts at different forums and he really doesn't get under my skin. That's hard to believe since he loves his Buckeyes. Actually, a lot of the UM fans that I run across are hard to bear sometimes.............
  15. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

16. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I went to the local Steve and Barry's the other day to get another pair or two and there was a sign that said...We limit the purchase of Starbury's to 10 pair per person per day...of course there weren't any in my size. Then I looked on Ebay and see folks are charging 25 bucks a pair with $15 shipping. Good idea gone bad.
  17. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The problem is that Steve & Barry's doesn't have an online or international sales channel. This is why the ebay vendors are able to thrive.

If the vendor doesn't provide for a demand, someone will create a supply.

It's correctable, but perhaps not desireable given the low markup @ Steve & Barry's retail sales level.

I'm ok with this because it's still undermining the big boys of the sneaker business, aka the people who have ruined high school and AAU basketball. :)